Thursday, 9 November 2017

(310) Bagge of Islington Hall, Stradsett Hall and Gaywood Hall, baronets

Bagge of Stradsett & Gaywood
Early genealogies of the Bagge family claim for them a Swedish origin, but the direct ancestors of the family treated here were established as tenants of the manor of Shipdham (Norfk) by 1473, and there seems no reason to suppose that they did not rise from English villein stock. In earlier records the name is sometimes spelt without the final 'e', but never with a single 'g'. The Bagges of Shipdham prospered in the 16th and 17th centuries, and Ralph Bagge (d. 1641) acquired property at Cockley Cley (Norfk), a few miles to the west of their original home. His youngest son, Simon Bagge (d. 1671) settled at Cockley Cley, and Simon's grandson, John Bagge (d. 1725) moved further west again to Kings Lynn (Norfk), where he became established as a merchant, shipowner and brewer in 1693, when he bought premises in King St., where the family brewery was based for nearly 250 years.

John Bagge of Kings Lynn lived opposite his brewery in a house with a fine stone front. He married twice, and by his second wife, Susan Cranwell, had five sons, of whom William, the second eldest, succeeded him as a brewer, and also became a merchant and shipowner, while Charles, the youngest, entered the church and became vicar of Kings Lynn in 1755.
Bishops Lynn House, Kings Lynn: the house reconstructed in two phases
for William Bagge (1700-62) in 1725 and his son Thomas Bagge
(1740-1807) in 1803-04.
In 1725, after the death of his father, William Bagge (1700-62) bought the southern part of Bishops Lynn House (a 14th century merchant's house on the Tuesday Marketplace in Kings Lynn which had been subdivided in the late 16th century), and refronted it as a five-bay, two-and-a-half storey block, with a pedimented Doric doorcase on unfluted pilasters. Inside, the house preserves good interiors of c.1725-30, including a large staircase hall with an open-string staircase around three sides. In 1733, William married Jane (d. 1790), the daughter of Peter Dixon of Walpole St. Peter (Norfk). On the death of her brother, Thomas Dixon, in 1790, she inherited his estate of Islington Hall (Norfk), and the acquisition of this property marks the arrival of the Bagges at the status of landed gentry. William's two sons, William Bagge (d. 1801) and Thomas Bagge (1740-1807) were both prosperous merchants and brewers in Kings Lynn and expanded their holdings of property in and around the town, especially of pubs which no doubt became tied to their brewery. They also built up a fleet of sixteen ships, mostly engaged in the coastal trade in corn and coal between Kings Lynn and Newcastle. By the 1770s they had expanded into shipbuilding and shipbroking, and a little later they joined a consortium of Kings Lynn merchants who formed the Greenland Company to undertake whaling out of Kings Lynn, which proved to be a highly profitable business. In the 1760s, they bought the other half of Bishops Lynn House, and in 1803-04 Thomas employed the local building firm of S. Newham & Son to rebuild the northern part in brown brick, with a full-height bow window.


William died unmarried and left all his property to Thomas, who had inherited Islington Hall from his parents and was presumably responsible for extending it in about 1780. Thomas married twice, and his first wife, Pleasance (1737-90), was one of the daughters and co-heiresses of Philip Case (d. 1792) of Stradsett Hall. Although Pleasance predeceased her father, her marriage settlement ensured that Thomas inherited her share of her father's estates, and Thomas presumably bought out the other co-heirs, since he acquired undisputed possession of both Stradsett Hall and the Gaywood estate on the edge of Kings Lynn. The acquisition of these additional properties undoubtedly raised his social status, and it is no coincidence that his second marriage, to Anne Lee-Warner (1764-1807) of Walsingham, connected him to one of the leading Norfolk gentry families.

By his first wife, Thomas Bagge had two sons, Thomas Philip Bagge (1771-1827) and William Bagge (1778-1835), and he divided his estates between them. Thomas Philip, the elder, inherited Stradsett and Islington, and William the larger share of the Kings Lynn town property and the Gaywood estate. The intention was perhaps that Thomas Philip should leave behind his urban and mercantile origins while William maintained the family businesses, and to some extent this is what happened, although Thomas Philip never disengaged totally from Lynn affairs, and was indeed Mayor of the town in 1806-07 and 1815-16. He did, however, landscape the setting of Stradsett Hall and remodel the house there. His original intention to completely rebuild the house on a new site in the park was abandoned, perhaps because the landscaping works, which cost over £7,000, used most of his available budget.

When Thomas Philip Bagge died in 1827, he left Stradsett Hall to his eldest son, William (1810-80), and Islington Hall to his third son, Edward Bagge (1812-45). His second son, William's twin, Richard Bagge (1810-91) was heir to his uncle William's Gaywood and Lynn property, as the elder William died without issue. Two further sons were established in careers with the East India Company and in the church. William Bagge of Stradsett Hall was educated at Charterhouse and Balliol College, Oxford; came of age in 1831 and was quickly appointed a JP. He first stood as a Conservative parliamentary candidate for West Norfolk in 1835, and although on that occasion he came bottom of the poll he was successful at the General Election two years later that was occasioned by the death of King William IV. He then held the seat for twenty years until 1857. In the election that year he decided not to stand, for reasons which are now obscure, but he returned to the hustings in 1865 and was subsequently re-elected at every election until his death in 1880. This long career of political service was rewarded with a baronetcy in 1867.

Sir William Bagge left two sons, who succeeded to the baronetcy and the Stradsett estate in turn. The childless Sir William Henry Ernest Bagge (1840-81), 2nd bt., who had made his home in Surrey, survived his father by little more than a year, and was succeeded by Sir Alfred Thomas Bagge (1843-1916), 3rd bt., an officer in the Navy, who retired from active service in 1888. He left three sons, of whom the elder two again succeeeded in turn to the title and estates; his elder daughter became bursar of Newnham College, Cambridge. 

Sir Alfred William Francis Bagge (1875-1939), 4th bt. was trained as a barrister and acted on the south-eastern circuit. Like his grandfather, he was politically active, but he made Norwich rather than Westminster his political stage. He was appointed as a JP for Norfolk in 1930 and his legal experience ensured that he quickly became Deputy Chairman of Quarter Sessions. As he was unmarried, when he died in 1939 he was succeeded by his brother, Sir John Picton Bagge (1877-1967), 5th bt., who had then recently retired from a career as a diplomat and civil servant with a particular interest in foreign trade. From 1905-21 he held postings at the embassy in St Petersburg, and would thus have been close to the dramatic events that unfolded in Russia during the First World War and the Russian Revolution, but he published no memoir of his time there. The present baronet is his grandson, Sir Jeremy Picton Bagge (b. 1945), 7th bt., who in 2015 handed over the Stradsett estate to his elder son, Alfred James John Bagge (b. 1980).

In 1835, on the death of William Bagge (1778-1835) the Gaywood estate passed to his nephew, Richard Bagge (1810-91), who continued the family tradition of brewing in Kings Lynn. In 1851 he built a new house at Gaywood, where there had been no gentry house since the demolition of the medieval palace of the bishops of Norwich. Richard outlived his eldest son, an officer in the army who died in 1886, and so the Kings Lynn brewery and Gaywood Hall passed to his second son, Thomas Edward Bagge (1838-1908), who played an exceptionally full part in the commercial and administrative life of Kings Lynn. He was twice married but had no issue, and on his death his property all passed to his nephew, Richard Ludwig Bagge (1872-1933), who was knighted for political and public services in 1922. Sir Richard had been born and brought up in Belgium, where his father lived from 1870 until his death in 1922, after fleeing from his creditors when he was bankrupted as a young man. Sir Richard himself was back in England by 1891, and divided his time between working in the brewery business and the army volunteers. He fought in the Boer War, but after his uncle died in 1908 he took over the reins of the brewery business, which he ran until 1929 when he sold the business, with 75 tied houses and other property in Kings Lynn to the Norwich firm of Steward & Patteson. His decision to sell was perhaps motivated by the fact that had no son to succeed him. His five daughters were co-heirs to his Gaywood and Islington Hall estates, which they sold in the 1930s, when Gaywood Hall became a technical college and much of the land around it was sold for building.


Islington Hall, Tilney St. Lawrence, Norfolk

The manor of Islington in Norfolk was purchased from the Southwell family by Sir John Willoughby, kt., in 1588. His son, Sir Henry Willoughby, kt. sold it in 1612 to William Guybon, who built the earliest part of the present house in 1619. In the early 18th century William Guybon sold the estate to Anthony Dixon, whose daughter and eventual heir Jane married William Bagge (b. 1700). Their son, Thomas Bagge (1739-1807) was probably responsible for enlarging the house to the east and refronting it in 1780 to form a half-H plan. The 1780 wing of five bays has a pedimented door and upper windows with alternating pediments. In 1792, Thomas Bagge inherited Stradsett Hall and the Gaywood estate in right of his wife, and thereafter Islington Hall was the home of various junior members of the Bagge family.
Islington Hall: the house as reconstructed in 1991.
It appears to have been sold along with the Gaywood estate in the mid-1930s by the five daughters of Sir Richard Ludwig Bagge, kt. (1872-1933). Its subsequent ownership has not been traced, but the house was burnt out in the 1970s and stood as a roofless shell for some 20 years. It was reconstructed in 1991 under the supervision of local architect, David Trundley. The exterior was then restored as nearly as possible to its original appearance, though the interior is completely new.

Descent: Francis Southwell (d. 1582); to son, Miles Southwell (fl. 1588), who sold 1588 to Sir John Willoughby, kt; to ?son, Sir Henry Willoughby, kt., who sold 1612 to William Guybon...Sir Francis Guybon (fl. 1700); to son, William Guybon, who sold to Anthony Dixon; to ?son, Peter Dixon; to son, Thomas Dixon (d. 1790); to sister, Jane (d. 1790), widow of William Bagge (b. 1700); to son, Thomas Bagge (1740-1807); to son, Thomas Philip Bagge (1771-1827); to son, Edward Bagge (1812-45); to brother, Richard Bagge (1810-91); to son, Thomas Edward Bagge (1838-1908); to nephew, Sir Richard Ludwig Bagge (1872-1933), kt....


Stradsett Hall, Norfolk

Stradsett Hall: north front in 1979. Image: Ordnance Survey/Historic England. 

In origin, the house is an E-shaped manor house, usually said to have been built in about 1570 and altered about forty years later when the porch and the rather cramped third storey were added. The date 1611 appears on the porch on the south front, and also fits the roof structure, and it seems possible that the whole building dates from that time, rather than being of two phases. The house was perhaps at first a single pile, with cross wings that projected hardly at all on the south-facing entrance front but rather more towards the north. In the late 17th or early 18th century, the space between the wings on the north side was infilled to make the centre of the house a double pile, and this addition has four irregular hipped roofs behind a parapet, and fenestration that is balanced but not perfectly symmetrical.


Stradsett Hall: south front.

When Thomas Philip Bagge (1771-1827) inherited in 1807 he at first intended to demolish the house and build on a new site in the park, but this ambitious project was eventually abandoned in favour of a remodelling of the existing building in 1819. The south front was then made two-storey and perfectly symmetrical, and was given a wide hipped roof with dormers, and sash windows. The result is a generous long low eleven-bay elevation, with a seven-bay centre and slightly projecting two-bay wings, which looks much like a late 17th century house.

T.P. Bragge also turned his attention to creating a landscaped setting for the house. He first consulted Humphry Repton, who was paid for supplying a design for the park in 1808, then John Haverfield, and finally J.C. Loudon, then at an early stage in his career. It was Loudon who finally gained the commission, and who remodelled the park between November 1810 and February 1813, with Alexander McLeish as his resident foreman. A park of some 200 acres was enclosed, with strategically placed plantations supplementing existing woodlands, rather than a continuous shelter belt. Incidental trees and clumps were planted within the park, a new drive was laid out from the north-west, and a 22-acre lake was created, with no fewer than seven islands and several bridges, one of which carried the main drive to the house. On the eastern shore of the lake, Loudon laid out an elaborate pleasure ground, threaded with gravel paths edged in box, and a large kitchen garden with brick walls and a circular tower on one corner. In 1811, when the project had just begun, the Italian painter, Agostino Aglio, painted two romantic views of the landscape at Stradsett intended to show the effect of the improvements when mature. The works to the park cost significantly more than estimated, at £7,073, and a dispute about Loudon's commission led to an expensive court case. The house is now approached by a lime avenue from the south-west, which leads to a formal forecourt with early 19th century gatepiers which is now laid out as a formal rose garden.

Descent: John Picot (d. 1551); to son, John Picot (fl. 1568); to son, John Picot; to son, Francis Picot, who sold to John Goldsmith (d. 1669); to daughter, Elizabeth (d. 1728), wife of Thomas Thurston (d. 1683); to daughter, Elizabeth (d. 1729), wife of Robert Buxton; to daughter, Elizabeth, wife of [forename unknown] Searle; to [forename unknown] Goldsmith, who sold 1747 to Philip Case (1712-92) to daughter Pleasance, wife of Thomas Bagge (1740-1807), who probably bought out her co-heirs; to son, Thomas Philip Bagge (1771-1827); to son, Sir William Bagge MP (1810-80), 1st bt.; to son, Sir William Henry Ernest Bagge (1840-81), 2nd bt.; to brother, Sir Alfred Thomas Bagge (1843-1916), 3rd bt.; to son, Sir Alfred William Francis Bagge (1875-1939), 4th bt.; to brother, Sir John Picton Bagge (1877-1967), 5th bt.; to son, Sir John Alfred Picton Bagge (1914-90), 6th bt.; to son, Sir John Jeremy Picton Bagge (b. 1945), 7th bt.; given 2015 to son, Alfred James John Bagge (b. 1980).


Gaywood Hall, Kings Lynn, Norfolk


Gaywood Hall: entrance front
An asymmetrical largely classical two-storey house of 1851, built for Richard Bagge (1810-91) on the site of a long-vanished medieval palace of the bishops of Norwich; its immediate predecessor was an 18th century farmhouse. The house is built of knapped flint with gault brick dressings. In the middle of the north-facing entrance front is a hipped roofed block with five sash windows on the first floor and two wide tripartite windows on either side of an enclosed porch with unfluted columns. To the left of this is a square three-storey tower striking a deliberately asymmetrical note. Non-matching wings are slightly recessed to either side of this composition. On the garden front, the central block has six more closely-spaced windows and there is no tower. The house has been in institutional use since the 1930s and the original interiors have largely been lost, except for the main staircase with cast iron balusters and some minor cornices.

Descent: built 1851 for Richard Bagge (1810-91); to son, Herbert Bagge (1843-1922); to son, Sir Richard Ludwig Bagge (1872-1933), kt.; to five daughters as co-heirs, who sold c.1935 to ??Kings Lynn Borough Council for use as a Technical College; later used as a nursing home and as part of the College of West Anglia and Norfolk College of Arts & Technology.



Bagge family of Stradsett Hall, baronets



Bagge, John (c.1661-1725). Eldest son of John Bagge (c.1640-1702) of Cockley Cley (Norfk) and his wife Mary (1641-61), daughter of John Carter of Northwold, born about 1661. He established himself as a brewer in King St., Kings Lynn, from 1693, and became a shipowner and merchant. He married 1st, 13 January 1691/2, Sarah (1672-97), daughter of Samuel Thacker of Kings Lynn and widow of Geoffrey Gynn, and 2nd, 20 September 1698 at Ely (Cambs), Susan Cranwell (1671-1733), and had issue:
(1.1) John Bagge (1692-93), baptised at St Margaret, Kings Lynn, 31 October 1692; died in infancy and was buried at Kings Lynn, 11 April 1693;
(1.2) Elizabeth Bagge (b. 1693), baptised 5 January 1693/4; perhaps died young;
(1.3) Rev. Samuel Bagge (1695-1771), baptised at St Margaret, Kings Lynn, 1 November 1695; educated at Christ's College, Cambridge (matriculated 1713; BA 1716/7; MA 1720); ordained deacon, 1718 and priest, 1719; curate of Bircham Newton (Norfk), 1718-19; rector of Bircham Newton, 1719-71 and of Bircham Tofts (Norfk), 1721-71;
(1.4) Mary Bagge (d. 1697); died in infancy, 26 May 1697;
(2.1) John Bagge (1699-1741), baptised 5 October 1699; married Sarah (who m2., Edmund Rolfe of Heacham (Norfk)), daughter of Stephen Allen, and had issue; buried at St Margaret, Kings Lynn, 21 May 1741;
(2.2) William Bagge (1700-62) (q.v.);
(2.3) Susan Bagge (d. 1709); died young, and was buried at Kings Lynn, 28 May 1709;
(2.4) Cranwell Bagge (1703-61), baptised 4 November 1703; apprenticed to William Elmy of Norwich, worsted weaver, 1718, but joined the family business and was master of one of his father's ships by 1724; married and had issue; buried at Kings Lynn, 22 June 1761;
(2.5) Simon Bagge (1707-61), baptised 26 February 1707; buried at Kings Lynn, 29 July 1761;
(2.6) twin, Hannah Bagge (1715-84), baptised at Kings Lynn, 10 October 1715; married, 6 December 1753 at Norwich, Dearing Jones (1721-86) of Navenby (Lincs), and had issue one son; buried at Navenby, 10 February 1784;
(2.7) twin, Rev. Charles Bagge (1715-91), baptised at Kings Lynn, 10 October 1715; educated at Lynn, Newcastle, and Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge (matriculated 1733; BA 1746/7; MA 1740; DD 1764); ordained deacon, 1737 and priest, 1739/40; vicar of Barmer (Norfk), 1740-91 and Kings Lynn, 1755-91; rector of Tydd St. Giles (Norfk), 1740-91, Syderstone (Norfk). 1760-91; married, 10 March 1747/8 at Kings Lynn, Barbara Elsden (d. 1769) and had issue one son and one daughter; died 17 August and was buried at Kings Lynn, 22 August 1791, where he is commemorated by a monument in St Nicholas' Chapel; will proved 2 November 1791.
He lived in a house in King St., King's Lynn, opposite the brewery.
He was buried at Kings Lynn, 7 July 1725; his will was proved 22 September 1725. His first wife was buried at Kings Lynn, 16 June 1697. His second wife was living in 1724 and is said to have died in 1733.

Bagge, William (1700-62). Second son of John Bagge (1661-1725) of Kings Lynn (Norfk) and his second wife, Susan Cranwell, baptised 28 November 1700. Brewer (in partnership with his brother, John Bagge), merchant and shipowner. Mayor of Kings Lynn, 1739-40. He married, 6 August 1733 at All Saints, South Lynn (Norfk), Jane (d. 1790), daughter of Peter Dixon and heiress to her brother Thomas Dixon (d. 1790) of Islington Hall (Norfk), and had issue:
(1) William Bagge (d. 1801); mayor of Kings Lynn, 1785-86; died unmarried and was buried at St Nicholas, Kings Lynn, 13 February 1801;
(3) Jane Bagge (1735-91), baptised at St Nicholas, Kings Lynn, 27 June 1735; died unmarried, 1791;
(4) Susan Bagge (1737-1800), baptised at St Nicholas, Kings Lynn, 1 September 1737; died unmarried, 21 January 1800;
(2) Thomas Bagge (1740-1807) (q.v.);
(5) Elizabeth Bagge, born after 1741; married, 6 February 1777 at Kings Lynn, Rev. Richard Hamond (d. 1783), rector of Pensthorpe (Norfk), second son of A. Hamond of High House, Wootton (Norfk).
He inherited property at Cockley Cley (Norfk) and in Kings Lynn from his father in 1725 and from his brother John in 1741, and his widow inherited Islington Hall (Norfk) on the death of her brother in 1790.
He was buried at St Nicholas chapel, Kings Lynn, 21 April 1762; his will was proved in the PCC, 22 November 1762. His wife died 7 January and was buried at St Nicholas, Kings Lynn, 11 January 1790.

Bagge, Thomas (1740-1807). Second son of William Bagge (1700-62) of Islington Hall and his wife Jane, daughter of Peter Dixon, baptised 1 or 2 January 1741. He was made a freeman of the city of London, 1789. He married 1st, 20 July 1768 at St Margaret, Kings Lynn, Pleasance (1737-90), daughter and co-heiress of Philip Case of Stradsett Hall and Gaywood, and 2nd, 17 November 1800, Anne (1764-1807), daughter of Thomas Lee-Warner of Walsingham and widow of his cousin, Dr. Charles Elsden Bagge MD (d. 1799), and had issue:
(1.1) Thomas Philip Bagge (1771-1827) (q.v.);
(1.2) Pleasance Bagge (1773-1830), born 24 April 1773, privately baptised, 25 April 1773 and baptised at St Margaret, Kings Lynn, 2 September 1773; married, 10 December 1801, Rev. Dr. Edward Hulton (1771-1817), vicar of Stradsett and rector of Gaywood, 1806-17 (son of Henry Hulton, Commissioner of Customs in America, 1768-75), and had issue one daughter (Pleasance, who married her first cousin, Richard Bagge (1810-91) [see below, Bagge of Gaywood Hall]); died 11 February 1830; will proved 5 March 1830;
(1.3) Jane Bagge (1776-1846), baptised at St Margaret, Kings Lynn, 8 January 1777; married, 21 March 1799, Thomas Hulton (1768-1823) (later Sir Thomas Preston, 1st bt.) of Beeston Hall, Beeston St. Lawrence (Norfk) (son of Henry Hulton, Commissioner of Customs in America, 1768-75) and had issue two sons and ten daughters; died 22 August 1846;
(1.4) William Bagge (1778-1835), born 7 October and baptised at St Margaret, Kings Lynn, 9 October 1778; JP and DL for Norfolk; mayor of Kings Lynn, 1820; Treasurer of the Downham & Fincham Turnpike Trust; inherited Gaywood estate from his father in 1807; died unmarried and without issue, 21 January and was buried at St Nicholas, Kings Lynn, 26 January 1835; his will was proved in the PCC, 19 June 1835;
(2.1) Anne Philip Bagge (1802-60), born 3 March 1802; married, 21 July 1829 at East Dereham (Norfk), Capt. William Simon Haughton Fitzroy (1802-82) of Kempston (Norfk), eldest son of Lt-Gen. the Hon. William Fitzroy and grandson of 1st Baron Southampton, and had issue seven sons and two daughters; died 15 May and was buried at Banstead (Surrey), 21 May 1860.
He inherited Islington Hall from his mother in 1790 and Stradsett Hall and Gaywood Hall in 1792 in right of his first wife (by then dead); he may have bought out the co-heirs. At his death Stradsett passed to his eldest son and Gaywood to his younger son.
He died 19 August and was buried at St Margaret, Kings Lynn, 22 August 1807; his will was proved in the PCC, 13 September 1807. His first wife was buried 1 November 1790. His second wife died 15 August 1807.

Bagge, Thomas Philip (1771-1827). Elder son of Thomas Bagge (1740-1807) and his first wife, Pleasance, daughter and co-heiress of Philip Case of Stradsett Hall and Gaywood, born 29 July and baptised at St Margaret, Kings Lynn, 30 July 1771. An officer in the Loyal Lynn Volunteers (2nd Lt., 1794; Lt., 1795). JP and DL (from 1803) for Norfolk; Mayor of Kings Lynn, 1806-07, 1815-16. He married, 28 April 1808 at St Margaret, Kings Lynn, Grace (c.1778-1834), youngest daughter of Richard Salisbury of Castle Park (Lancs) and had issue:
(1) Thomas Philip Bagge (1809-16), born 29 January 1809; died young, at East Sheen (Surrey), 21 February 1816;
(2) twin, Sir William Bagge (1810-80), 1st bt. (q.v.);
(3) twin, Richard Bagge (1810-91) [see below, under Bagge of Gaywood Hall];
(4) Maria Bagge (1811-92), born 14 November 1811; married, 17 June 1831 at Stradsett, Henry Villebois (1807-86), eldest son of Henry Villebois of Marham House (Norfk), but had no issue; died in London, 27 January 1892; will proved 7 March 1892 (effects £142,068);
(5) twin, Edward Bagge (1812-45), born 2 December 1812; inherited Islington Hall from his father in 1827 and came of age in 1833; married, 21 May 1835, Jane (1807-71), youngest daughter of Rev. Dr. Edward Hulton (who m2, 4 January 1849, her cousin, James Dott Hulton (1811-63)); died at Malvern (Worcs), 19 May 1845;
(6) twin, Pleasance Bagge (1812-65), born 2 December 1812; married, 17 September 1835, Rev. Henry Edward Knatchbull (1808-76), vicar of North Elmham (Suffk) and later of Campsea Ashe (Suffk), son of Sir Edward Knatchbull, 9th bt., but had no issue; died 31 December 1865 and was buried at Stradsett, 6 January 1866;
(7) Henry Case Bagge (1814-41), born 22 November and baptised at St Margaret, Kings Lynn, 21 December 1814; educated at Eton and Haileybury College (prizeman, 1834); an officer in the service of the East India Co., 1834-41; married, 9 January 1836, Margaret (b. c.1816), daughter of Maj-Gen. Herbert Bowen, and had issue three sons and one daughter; died of a fever at Arrah, Bengal (India), 31 August 1841;
(8) Arthur Bagge (1816-28), born 16 April and baptised at St Margaret, Kings Lynn, 15 May 1816; died young, 4 June 1828;
(9) Rev. Philip Salisbury Bagge (1817-90), born 18 October and baptised at Stradsett, 21 November 1817; educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1836; BA 1840; MA 1843); ordained deacon, 1843 and priest, 1844; vicar of Stradsett, 1845-46; rector of Elseworth (Cambs), 1846-53 and Walpole St. Peter (Norfk), 1853-90; married, 23 April 1846, Caroline Julia (c.1824-1911), daughter of Ven. Stephen Creyke, archdeacon of York, and had issue two sons and six daughters; died 16 October 1890; will proved 14 March 1891 (effects £5,466).
He inherited Islington Hall and Stradsett Hall from his father in 1807. He created a landscaped park at Stradsett Hall in 1810-13 and remodelled the house there in 1819, after abandoning plans to rebuild it. At his death his eldest son inherited Stradsett, and his third son Islington Hall.
He died 3 June 1827 and was buried at Stradsett, where he is commemorated by a monument designed by Sir Richard Westmacott; his will was proved in the PCC, 1 December 1827. His widow died at Kings Lynn, 27 January 1834.

Bagge, Sir William (1810-80), 1st bt. Twin eldest son of Thomas Philip Bagge (1771-1827) of Stradsett Hall and his wife Grace, youngest daughter of Richard Salisbury of Castle Park (Lancs), born 7 June 1810. Educated at Charterhouse and Balliol College, Oxford (matriculated 1828). JP (from 1832) and DL for Norfolk. A strong Conservative in politics, he stood unsuccessfully in the parliamentary election in 1835, but was elected MP for West Norfolk, 1837-57, 1865-80. Like many of his descendants, he was a keen cricketer, and played in several matches for Norfolk and the MCC, 1836-39. He was created a baronet, 13 April 1867. He married, 11 July 1833, his cousin, Frances (c.1809-87), fourth daughter of Sir Thomas Preston, 1st bt., of Beeston St. Laurence, and had issue:
(1) Frances Henrietta Bagge (1834-92), born 16 July and baptised at Stradsett, 21 August 1834; lived latterly in Norwich; died unmarried, 16 January 1892; will proved 30 March 1892 (effects £1,722);
(4) Emilia Jane Bagge (1836-1916), baptised at Stradsett, 12 June 1836; married, 16 June 1864, Maj. Charles Wells Hogge (later Archdale) (1832-1919) of Coltishall (Norfk), son of William Hogge, and had issue; died 23 December 1916; administration of goods (with will annexed) granted to daughter, 24 February 1917 (effects £229);
(5) Caroline Thomazina Bagge (1838-1911), baptised at Stradsett, 9 October 1838; lived latterly at East Dereham (Norfk); died unmarried, 4 May 1911; will proved 14 June 1911 (estate £2,750);
(2) Sir William Henry Ernest Bagge (1840-81), 2nd bt. (q.v.);
(3) Capt. Sir Alfred Thomas Bagge (1843-1916), 3rd bt. (q.v.);
(6) Edith Mary Bagge (1845-1927), baptised at Stradsett, 17 April 1845; lived latterly at Hunstanton; died unmarried, 31 January 1927; will proved 16 March 1927 (estate £8,652).
He inherited the Stradsett Hall estate from his father in 1827 and came of age in 1831.
He died 12 February 1880; will proved 31 March 1880 (effects under £14,000). His widow died 27 May 1887; her will was proved 20 July 1887 (effects £2,204).

Bagge, Sir William Henry Ernest (1840-81), 2nd bt. Elder son of Sir William Bagge (1810-80), 1st bt., of Stradsett Hall, and his wife Frances, fourth daughter of Sir Thomas Preston, 1st bt., born 9 August and baptised at Stradsett, 20 September 1840. Educated at Sandhurst and Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge (matriculated 1860). According to his obituary, he 'devoted himself earnestly to the cause of the moral and social regeneration of the masses'. He succeeded his father as 2nd baronet, 12 February 1880. He married, 26 October 1865, Alice (1841-1935), second daughter of Alfred Giles MP, but had no issue.
He lived at Heather Side, Woking (Surrey). He inherited the Stradsett Hall estate from his father in 1880. At his death the estate passed to his younger brother.
He died at Woking, 23 October 1881; his will was proved 3 January 1882 (effects £6,072). His widow married 2nd, 11 July 1889 at St Peter, Eaton Square, London, William Wainwright (d. 1929) of Hoe Place, Woking (Surrey), and died 21 May 1935; her will was proved 1 July 1935 (estate £4,468).

Bagge, Capt. Sir Alfred Thomas (1843-1916), 3rd bt. Younger son of Sir William Bagge (1810-80), 1st bt., of Stradsett Hall, and his wife Frances, fourth daughter of Sir Thomas Preston, 1st bt., born 5 July and baptised at Stradsett, 4 August 1843. An officer in the Royal Navy, 1857-88 (Lt., 1865; Commander, 1878; Capt., 1893). JP and DL (from 1883) for Norfolk. He succeeded his elder brother as 3rd baronet, 23 October 1881. He married, 11 July 1872, Millicent Case (d. 1918), fifth daughter of John Grant Morris of Allerton Priory, Liverpool (Lancs) and had issue:
(1) William John Preston Bagge (b. & d. 1874), born 6 May 1874; died in infancy, 10 September 1874;
(2) Sir Alfred William Francis Bagge (1875-1939), 4th bt. (q.v.);
(3) Sir John Picton Bagge (1877-1967), 5th bt. (q.v.);
(4) Maj. Henry Percy Bagge (1879-1942) of Wamil Hall, Mildenhall (Suffk), born 20 April 1879; educated at Eton and Clare College, Cambridge (matriculated 1898; BA 1901); served with Yorkshire Regiment in First World War (2nd Lt., 1914; Lt., 1916; Capt., 1917; Maj.), was wounded and awarded MC, 1916; married, 30 August 1928, Marjorie Aubrey (1893-1951), daughter of Cdr. Alexander Young Crawshay Mainwaring Spearman RN and had issue one daughter; died 25 November 1942; administration of goods granted to his widow, 4 March 1943 (estate £10,085);
(5) Lilian Mary Bagge (1883-1968), born 13 March 1883; educated at Newnham College, Cambridge; Fellow and Bursar of Newnham College, Cambridge, 1920-34; married, 15 December 1920, Rev. Frederick Hugh Lacy (1875-1943), rector of Northwold (Norfk), son of Charles James Lacy of Fleet (Hants), but had no issue; died 2 October 1968; her will was proved 3 January 1969 (estate £25,049);
(6) Gwendolen Millicent Bagge (1887-1908), born 21 February 1887; died unmarried, 18 August 1908.
His father-in-law, John Grant Morris, built Crimplesham Hall to the designs of Alfred Waterhouse in 1880-81 as a home for Alfred and his wife, but he may not have occupied it for long as he unexpectedly inherited the Stradsett Hall estate from his elder brother in 1881. Crimplesham Hall was sold in 1904.
He died 16 February 1916; his will was proved 23 August 1916 (estate £5,097). His widow died 22 May 1918; her will was proved 16 August 1918 (estate £1,583).

Bagge, Sir Alfred William Francis (1875-1939), 4th bt. Second, but eldest surviving, son of Capt. Sir Alfred Thomas Bagge (1843-1916), 3rd bt., and his wife Millicent Case, fifth daughter of John Grant Morris of Allerton Priory, Liverpool (Lancs), born 14 September 1875. Educated at Eton, King's College, Cambridge (matriculated 1894; BA and LLB 1898) and Inner Temple (admitted 1896; called to bar 1899). Barrister at law on the south-eastern circuit. A Conservative in politics, he was a member of Norwich City Council, 1902-20 and Chairman of its Education Committee, 1911-15. He served in the Army in First World War (Lt., 1914; Capt.) and succeeded his father as 4th baronet, 16 February 1916. Judge of Norwich Guildhall Court of Record, 1922-39; JP for Norfolk, 1930-39; Deputy Chairman of Quarter Sessions, 1932-39. He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited the Stradsett Hall estate from his father in 1916.
He died 3 March 1939; his will was proved 27 June 1939 and 9 March 1940 (estate £30,147).

Bagge, Sir John Picton (1877-1967), 5th bt. Third son of Capt. Sir Alfred Thomas Bagge (1843-1916), 3rd bt., and his wife Millicent Case, fifth daughter of John Grant Morris of Allerton Priory, Liverpool (Lancs), born 19 October 1877. Educated at Eton and King's College, Cambridge (matriculated 1896; BA 1899) and then travelled in France, Germany and Spain. An officer with HM Consular Service 1903-28 (Vice-Consul at Ghent, 1904-05; at British Embassy in Russia, 1905-18; Commercial Secretary in Russia, 1918-21, Switzerland, 1921-22 and Belgium, 1922-28); Director, Foreign Division, Department for Overseas Trade, 1928-37. Appointed CMG, 1929. He succeeded his elder brother as 5th baronet, 3 March 1939. DL for Norfolk. He married, 24 May 1910 at St Peter, Eaton Square, London, Olive Muriel Mary (1881-1965), younger daughter of Samuel Taylor Mendel of Manley Hall, Manchester and Easthorpe Hall, Malton (Yorks) and had issue:
(1) Sir John Alfred Picton Bagge (1914-90), 6th bt. (q.v.);
(2) (Thomas) Peter Bagge (1917-77), born 29 January 1917; educated at Eton; an officer in Royal Artillery (Maj.) during the Second World War; director of Houchin Ltd., Ashford, 1968; married 1st, 5 June 1947 (div. 1951), Mary Armine, only daughter of Brig. Leonard William Henry Mathias DSO of Hambutts Orchard, Painswick (Glos) and widow of Maj. Denis Brestram Radley; married 2nd, 2 October 1954, Sorel Venetia, younger daughter of Col. Clarence Preston Gunter CIE, OBE, but had no issue; died 4 October 1977; will proved 22 November 1977 (estate £122,461);
(3) Audrey Rosamund Bagge (b. & d. 1913), born 19 January 1913; died in infancy, 15 May 1913.
He inherited the Stradsett Hall estate from his elder brother in 1939.
He died 23 December 1967; will proved 8 February 1968 (estate £36,097). His wife died 21 August 1965; her will was proved 19 October 1965 (estate £6,718).

Bagge, Sir John Alfred Picton (1914-90), 6th bt. Elder son of Sir John Picton Bagge (1877-1967), 5th bt., of Stradsett Hall, and his wife Olive Muriel Mary, younger daughter of Samuel Taylor Mendel of Manley Hall, Manchester and Easthorpe Hall, Malton (Yorks), born 27 October 1914. Educated at Eton and abroad. An officer in the Inns of Court Regiment (Maj.) in Second World War and with Cheshire Yeomanry in Palestine, Sudan and British Military Missions in Ethiopia and Bulgaria. Appointed an officer of the Order of St. John (CStJ, 1958; KStJ, 1975). DL for Norfolk; High Sheriff of Norfolk, 1977-78. He succeeded his father as 6th baronet, 23 December 1967. He married, 1 June 1939, (Elizabeth) Helena (k/a Lena) (1914-96), second daughter of Daniel James Davies CBE, High Commissioner for Newfoundland in London, and had issue:
(1) Christabel Rosamund Bagge (b. 1940), born 3 March 1940; educated at Benenden; High Sheriff of Greater London, 1990-91; married 1st, 19 December 1963, James Hinton Scott (1938-88), eldest son of Maj. Archibald Crauford Scott and had issue one son and two daughters; married 2nd, 8 June 1990, as his second wife, Peter Harold Dimmock CVO, OBE (1921-2015) of Windlesham Park (Surrey), BBC producer and later chairman of Zenith Entertainment;
(2) Sir John Jeremy Picton Bagge (b. 1945), 7th bt. (q.v.);
(3) Rosaleen Pleasance Bagge (b. 1947), born 3 July 1947; married, 4 April 1972, Maj. Jonathan James Buxton (b. 1943), son of Michael Auriol Buxton, and had issue three daughters;
(4) Elizabeth Mary Frances Bagge (b. 1949), born 27 September 1949; educated at East Hadden Hall School; married, 13 June 1981, Dean Rasheed of Arkaba Station, Hawker, South Australia (sold 2009), and had issue one son and one daughter;
(5) (Alfred) James Stephen Bagge (b. 1952), born 7 December 1952; educated at Eton and Lincoln's Inn (admitted 1975; called to bar 1979); an officer in Blues & Royals, 1972-76 (2nd Lt.); seconded as ADC to Governor of South Australia, 1975-77; barrister-at-law, 1979-93; seconded to Serious Fraud Office, 1988-93; partner and global head of litigation with Norton Rose, solicitors, 1993-2008; director of Bralco Ltd., 2008-date; High Sheriff of Norfolk, 2017-18; married, 10 October 1981, Victoria Imogen Lyndon, daughter of Michael Andrew Lyndon Skeggs, of Dalgheal, Evanton, Ross-shire, and had issue a daughter;
(6) Thomas Philip (k/a Tom) Bagge (b. 1955) of Hall Farm, Irnham (Lincs), born 4 May 1955; educated at Eton, Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, and Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester; an officer in Blues and Royals (Lt.), 1974-78; partner in Strutt & Parker, estate agents & chartered surveyors, 1987-date; Fellow of Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, 1987.
He inherited the Stradsett Hall estate from his father in 1967.
He died 17 June 1990; will proved 3 July 1991 (estate £530,923). His widow died 17 February 1996; her will was proved 17 May 1996.

Bagge, Sir (John) Jeremy Picton (b. 1945), 7th bt. Eldest son of Sir John Alfred Picton Bagge (1914-90), 6th bt., of Stradsett Hall, and his wife (Elizabeth) Helena (k/a Lena), second daughter of Daniel James Davies CBE, High Commissioner for Newfoundland in London, born 21 June 1945. Educated at Eton. Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants, 1968. Farmer and landowner; financial adviser to Crown Prince of Ethiopia, 1969-70. Member of Kings Lynn & West Norfolk District Council, 1981-95; Chairman of West Norfolk Enterprise Agency, 1985-94, Norfolk Rural Development Commission, 1989-99, Cambridgeshire Rural Development Commission, 1995-99, Norfolk Rural Strategy Committee, 1998-2002. President of Royal Norfolk Agricultural Association, 2010-11. A member of the Norfolk Committee of Country Landowners Association (now CLA), 1986-2006 (Chairman, 1993-95, President, 2008-13) and of the national Executive Committee, 1997-2002. DL for Norfolk (from 1996); High Sheriff of Norfolk, 2003-04; Member of the Bishop's Council for the Diocese of Ely, 1994-2005; Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Haberdashers in the City of London. He succeeded his father as 7th baronet, 17 June 1990. He married, 25 January 1979, Sarah Margaret Phipps (b. 1951), daughter of  Maj James Shelley Phipps Armstrong, Agent-General in the UK for the Province of Ontario (Canada), and had issue:
(1) Alfred James John Bagge (b. 1980) of Stradsett Hall, born 1 July 1980; educated at Stowe and University of Newcastle (BSc); director of S.B. Design & Build, 2005-10 and of Stradsett Estate since 2010; married, 2009, Charlotte Christopha Annabel (b. 1979), daughter of Stanley F. Stride of Henley-on-Thames (Oxon), and has issue one son and one daughter;
(2) Alexandra Mary Pleasance Bagge (b. 1982), born 26 December 1982; educated at University College, London (BSc; MSc, 2009); worked for Survival International and Doctors of the World UK;
(3) Albert Daniel Bracewell Bagge (b. 1985), born 1 April 1985; educated at Eton and University of Newcastle; Commercial Director at Inspiratia.
He inherited the Stradsett Hall estate from his father in 1990 and handed it over to his elder son in 2015, moving to Marham House (Norfk).
Now living.


Bagge family of Gaywood Hall



Bagge, Richard (1810-91). Twin eldest son of Thomas Philip Bagge (1771-1827) of Stradsett Hall and his wife Grace, youngest daughter of Richard Salisbury of Castle Park (Lancs), born 17 June 1810. JP and DL for Norfolk; High Sheriff of Norfolk, 1879-80. An ardent Conservative in politics, and leader of that group on Kings Lynn Borough Council; Churchwarden of Kings Lynn. He married, 1 October 1835 at North Runcton (Norfk), his first cousin, Pleasance (d. 1869), eldest daughter of Rev. Dr. Edward Hulton, and had issue:
(1) Capt. Richard Salisbury Bagge (1836-86), born 7 July 1836; an officer in the Infantry (Ensign, 1854; Lt., 1858; Capt., 1862); JP for Norfolk (from 1864); died unmarried, 18 December 1886; administration of goods granted to his next brother, 2 June 1887 (estate £2,924);
(2) Thomas Edward Bagge (1838-1908) (q.v.);
(3) Pleasance Grace Bagge (1839-98); married, 12 May 1864 at Gaywood, Theophilus Russell Buckworth (c. 1816-73) of Cockley Cley (Norfk) and had issue; died 23 January 1898; will proved 5 April 1899 (estate £6,677);
(4) Jane Margaret Bagge (1842-1916); lived latterly at Mintlyn House, Hunstanton (Norfk); died unmarried, 5 June 1916; will proved 2 December 1916 (estate £793);
(5) Herbert Bagge (1843-1922) (q.v.);
(6) Louisa Clifford Bagge (1845-1918); lived latterly at Mintlyn House, Hunstanton (Norfk); died unmarried, 3 May 1918; will proved 5 June 1918 (estate £696).
He inherited the Gaywood estate from his uncle in 1835 and built Gaywood Hall there in 1851.
He died 5 April 1891; his will was proved 27 May 1891 (effects £18,365). His wife died 6 June 1869.

Bagge, Thomas Edward (1838-1908). Second son of Richard Bagge (1810-91) of Gaywood Hall and his wife Pleasance, eldest daughter of Rev. Dr. Edward Hulton, born 30 April and baptised at Gaywood, 13 May 1838. Educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1857; BA 1861; MA 1864; cricket blue, 1859-61). An officer in the Norfolk Artillery Regiment of Militia (Lt., 1863; Capt., 1871; Maj., 1883; Hon. Lt-Col.). Brewer at Kings Lynn (senior partner in W. & T. Bagge). JP (from 1868) and DL for Norfolk; Mayor of Kings Lynn, 1901-02; churchwarden of Kings Lynn, 1891-1908; Chairman of Lynn Gas Co.; Chairman of Kings Lynn Municipal Charities; trustee of Lynn Harbour; member of the Conservancy Board; governor of Lynn Grammar School; leader of the Conservative group in the Borough Council. He was a keen cricketer and for some years served as Hon. Sec. of the Norfolk County Cricket Club. He married 1st, 6 September 1871 at Snettisham (Norfk), Louisa Maria Mary (1849-82), daughter of Frederick Walpole Keppel of Lexham Hall (Norfk), and 2nd, 6 March 1884 at Greenham (Berks), Constance Mary (1853-1924), youngest daughter of Lloyd Baxendale of Greenham Lodge (Berks), but had no issue.
He inherited the Gaywood Hall estate from his father in 1891. At his death the estate passed to his nephew, Richard Ludwig Bagge.
He died 23 October 1908 and was buried at Gaywood; his will was proved 20 April 1909 (estate £133,351). His first wife died of typhoid fever, 3 February 1882 and was buried at Gaywood. His widow died 26 April 1924; her will was proved 22 October 1924 and 12 February 1925 (estate £25,006).

Bagge, Herbert (1843-1922). Third son of Richard Bagge (1810-91) of Gaywood Hall and his wife Pleasance, eldest daughter of Rev. Dr. Edward Hulton, born 1 July and baptised at Gaywood, 19 July 1843. Educated at Eton, Trinity College and Peterhouse, Cambridge (matriculated 1862; BA 1868). He was declared bankrupt in 1870 and went abroad to live in Belgium; his bankruptcy was annulled in 1886. He married, 26 October 1871, Maria Adelaide Rosalie, daughter of Louis Duquesnoy of Antwerp (Belgium) and had issue:
(1) Sir Richard Ludwig Bagge (1872-1933), kt. (q.v.);
(2) Pleasance Grace Rose Bagge (1876-1973), born at Liège (Belgium), 4 July 1876; married, 23 March 1903, Jonkheer Mr. Reinhold Antonie Klerck (1851-1918), but had no issue; died at Die Bilt, Utrecht (Netherlands), 26 August 1973, aged 97.
He lived in Belgium from 1870 onwards.
He died at St Gilles, Brussels, 23 January 1922. His wife's date of death is unknown.

Bagge, Sir Richard Ludwig (1872-1933), kt. Only son of Herbert Bagge (1843-1922) of Gaywood Hall and his wife Maria Adelaide Rosalie, daughter of Louis Duquesnoy of Antwerp (Belgium), born in Belgium, 30 September 1872. An officer in the Norfolk Regiment Volunteer Battn (2nd Lt., 1891; Lt. 1892; Capt. 1894; Maj. 1903); served in Boer War (mentioned in despatches; DSO 1900). Brewer at Kings Lynn with W. & T. Bagge until 1929, when he sold the business to Steward & Patteson of Norwich. JP (from 1898) and DL for Norfolk. A Conservative in politics, he was Chairman of the Kings Lynn Conservative Association, and was knighted for 'political and public services in Norfolk', 1927. He was a personal friend of King George V, with whom he enjoyed shooting on the Sandringham estate and at Gaywood. He married, 28 June 1904 at St Peter, Cranley Gardens, London, Anna Victoria Wilmsdorff (c.1880-1929), only daughter of Maj. Wilmsdorff George Mansergh of Rock Savage (Co. Cork), and had issue:
(1) Doreen Pleasance Anna Bagge (1906-85), born 17 September 1906; married, 1 February 1928 (div. 1944), Sir Ralph Leigh Hare (1903-74), 4th bt., of Stow Hall (Norfk) and had issue one son and one daughter; died 10 December 1985; ashes interred at Stow Bardolph (Norfk), where she is commemorated by a monument; will proved 6 February 1986 (estate £78,674);
(2) Nancy Adelaide Bagge (1907-90), born 5 October 1907; obtained pilot's licence, 1933; married, 1 March 1934, Capt. George Cecil Pereira (1904-76) of Caversham Place, Reading (Berks), eldest son of Maj-Gen. Sir Cecil Pereira KCB CMG and had issue one son; died at Burford (Oxon), 11 December 1990; will proved 4 June 1991 (estate £758,745);
(3) Sheila Clifford Bagge (1909-98), born 21 September 1909; married, 25 February 1939, as his second wife, William Herbert Wood Evans (1903-63) of Ojai, California (USA) and had issue four daughters; died at Phoenix, Arizona (USA), 18 February 1998;
(4) Moira Mansergh Bagge (1910-74), born 2 September 1910; bankrupt, 1939; married 1st, 6 October 1936 at Caxton Hall Registry Office (div. 1948), the twice-divorced Henry Halford Chichelé Burdett (1904-62), son of Capt. Halford Gay Burdett, and had issue one daughter; married 2nd, Oct-Dec. 1953, David Spring alias Himmelspring; married 3rd, Apr-Jun 1963, Richard A. Fitzgerald of Nairobi (Kenya); died 22 October 1974; will proved in Nairobi and sealed in London, 22 October 1976 (estate in England £5,399);
(5) Rosaleen Margaret Bagge (1914-88), born 19 January 1914; married, 7 January 1936, Lt-Col. Joseph Patrick Feeny OBE (1904-70) of HM Colonial Service, son of Michael C. Feeny of St. Columbs, Londonderry, and had issue one son and one daughter; died 30 May 1988; will proved 22 December 1988 (estate £255,341).
He lived in Hunstanton (Norfk) before his marriage, and thereafter at Islington Hall. He inherited the Gaywood Hall estate from his uncle in 1908. After his death the estate passed to his five daughters as co-heirs and they sold it c.1935.
He died at his flat in London, 9 August 1933; his will was proved 26 August 1933 (estate £221,567). His wife died 20 February 1929; administration of her goods was granted 14 May 1929 (estate £568).



Sources


Burke's Peerage & Baronetage, 2003, pp. 214-15; Burke's Landed Gentry, 1952, p. 85; G. Winkley, The country houses of Norfolk, 1986, p. 148; Sir N. Pevsner & B. Wilson, The buildings of England: Norfolk 2 - North-West and South Norfolk, 1999, pp. 356, 450, 497, 675-76; P. Dallas, R. Last & T. Williamson, Norfolk gardens and designed landscapes, 2013, pp. 386-87; P. Richards, Kings Lynn through time, 2014, unpag.; Kings Lynn Magazine, July 2016, pp. 87-88.


Location of archives


Bagge family of Gaywood Hall: deeds, estate papers, manorial records and game books, 17th-20th cents. [Norfolk Record Office, BL/BG]
Bagge family of Stradsett Hall: estate and family papers, 16th-20th cents [Private Collection: enquiries to Norfolk Record Office]


Coat of arms


Bagge of Stradsett: Lozengy, paly bendy, argent and gules, two flaunches or, on a chief of the last an annulet between two cinquefoils of the second.


Can you help?


Here are a few notes about information and images which would help to improve the account above. If you can help with any of these or with other additions or corrections, please use the contact form in the sidebar to get in touch. Can anyone:

  • Provide images of portraits or photographs of the members of this family whose names appear in bold above?
  • Provide information about the ownership of Islington Hall after 1933, or any photographs of that house before the 1970s fire.



Revision and acknowledgements


This post was first published 9 November and was updated 25 November 2017. I am grateful to Jean Agnew for additional information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment if you have any additional information or corrections to offer, or if you are able to help with additional images of the people or buildings in this post.