Saturday, 30 September 2017

(306) Bacon of Redgrave Hall, Gorhambury House, Gillingham Hall, Raveningham Hall and Shrubland Hall - part 3

This post is divided into three parts: this section includes the biographical and genealogical details of members of the family; part 1 covers the introduction to the family and the descriptions of the houses built by the first Sir Nicholas Bacon, kt.; and part 2 the further houses built by his sons and their descendants.


Bacon family of Redgrave, Gillingham and Raveningham, baronets



Sir Nicholas Bacon (1510-79)
Bacon, Sir Nicholas (1510-79), kt. Son of Robert Bacon (d. 1548) of Drinkstone (Suffk), yeoman and sheep-reeve to the abbot of Bury St. Edmunds, and his wife Isabel, daughter of John Cage of Pakenham (Suffk), yeoman, born 28 December 1510. Educated at Bury St. Edmunds Grammar School, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge (admitted scholar, 1523; BA 1526/7) and Grays Inn (called to bar, 1533, ancient, 1536; bencher, 1550; treasurer, 1552-c.1556, in which capacity he undertook the rebuilding of the inn hall). Barrister at law; an official of the Court of Augmentations (deputy solicitor, 1539; solicitor, 1540-46); solicitor to the University of Cambridge, 1540; MP for Westmorland, 1542 and for Dartmouth, 1545; attorney of the Court of Wards and Liveries, 1546-61; Privy Councillor, 1558-79; Lord Keeper of the Great Seal, 1558-79, in which capacity he exercised all the powers and duties of the Lord Chancellor, including presiding over the House of Lords. He collected High Stewardships, acting for the dioceses of Canterbury, Ely, Gloucester, Bristol, Winchester and Chester, for Trinity College, Cambridge, the honour of Clare (Suffolk) and the borough of St. Albans. He was knighted, 15 December 1558. He exhibited a long-term concern for education, and was co-author of a report in 1538 that recommended the founding of a fifth inn of court to train young men in the arts of law and diplomacy; in 1561 he made proposals for the education of royal wards at a form of humanist academy; and he founded or refounded the schools at Redgrave, Bury St. Edmunds and St. Albans. In religion, he held strong reformist views, but was less radical than some other members of the Elizabethan establishment, and ever a voice for moderation and tolerance. Despite this, the Spanish ambassador regarded him as 'one of the greatest and most pernicious heretics in Europe'. He was something of a bibliophile and enjoyed reading poetry and classical literature; he also wrote some poetry himself. He was noted for his eloquence and wit in debate, and some of his parliamentary speeches have survived because they were copied as models of rhetoric. In old age he took little exercise, became 'exceedingly gross-bodied' and suffered agonies of pain from gout and kidney stones. He married 1st, 5 April 1540, Jane (d. 1552), daughter of William Fernley of West Creeting (Suffk), and 2nd, about February 1553, the strong-willed, Puritan-leaning intellectual, Anne (c.1528-1610), daughter of Sir Anthony Cooke of Gidea Hall (Essex), and had issue:
(1.1) John Bacon; died young;
(1.2) Elizabeth Bacon (c.1541-1621); an independently wealthy woman after the death of her first husband, she appears to have been as strong-willed and domineering as Bess of Hardwick, and her second husband admitted to his brother-in-law, Sir Nicholas Bacon that she 'wore the bryches' in their marriage; she appears to have had a keen interest in music, and was the dedicatee of a manuscript of keyboard music by William Byrd, known as 'My Lady Neville's Book' and of Thomas Morley's First Book of Canzonets for Two Voyces, 1595; in 1609 she founded a charity school at Henley-on-Thames, and by her will she left money for scholarships and a fellowship at Balliol College, Oxford; married 1st, Sir Robert Doyley (c.1542-77), kt., of Chislehampton (Oxon) and Greenlands, Hambledon (Bucks); 2nd, about May 1578, as his third wife, the courtier Sir Henry Neville (c.1520-93), kt., of Billingbear House (Berks); and 3rd, by September 1595, Sir William Peryam (1534-1604), Chief Baron of the Exchequer, but had no surviving issue by any of her husbands; died 3 May 1621 and was buried at Henley-on-Thames (Oxon), where she is commemorated by a monument; will proved 14 May 1621;
(1.3) Sir Nicholas Bacon (c.1543-1624), 1st bt. (q.v.);
(1.4) Anne Bacon (c.1545-80); married, c.1574, as his first wife, Sir Henry Woodhouse (c.1545-1624), kt., of Waxham (Norfk) and had issue two sons and four daughters; died 15 January 1579/80;
(1.5) Sir Nathaniel Bacon (1546/7-1622), kt. [see below, Bacon family of Stiffkey];
(1.6) Sir Edward Bacon (1548-1618) [see below, Bacon family of Shrubland];
(1.7) Elizabeth Bacon (b. c.1550); appears to have been of a rather neurotic disposition; married, 1570, Francis Wyndham (d. 1592) of Beeston (Norfk) and Norwich, a judge of the common pleas, but had no issue; married 2nd, about 1593, as his first wife, Admiral Sir Robert Mansel (alias Mansfield) (c.1569-1653), but had no issue; lived at Pentney (Norfk) after her second marriage; died before 1617;
(2.1) Mary Bacon; died young;
(2.2) Susan Bacon; died young;
(2.3) Anthony Bacon (1558-1601) [see below, Bacon family of Gorhambury];
(2.4) Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626), 1st Baron Verulam and 1st Viscount St. Alban [see below, Bacon family of Gorhambury].
He began building up an estate in West Suffolk from about 1540, purchasing Culford (Suffk) in 1540 (although the family did not gain undisputed possession until 1586), Redgrave (Suffk) in 1542; Gorhambury (Herts) in c.1560; and Stiffkey in 1571. He rebuilt Redgrave Hall in 1545-53; Gorhambury 1563-68 and Stiffkey from 1576 (for his son).
He died, probably of pneumonia, 20 February 1578/9 and after lying in state at York House for almost a fortnight, was buried in St. Paul's Cathedral, 9 March 1578/9. He was commemorated by a monument, most of which was destroyed in the Great Fire of London, although the torso of his effigy survives in the crypt. His will was proved 24 February 1578/9. His first wife died late in 1552. His widow died in August 1610.

Bacon, Sir Nicholas (c.1543-1624), 1st bt. Eldest surviving son of Sir Nicholas Bacon (1510-79), kt., and his first wife, Jane, daughter of William Fernley of West Creeting (Suffk), born about 1543. Educated at Trinity College, Cambridge (admitted 1561) and Grays Inn (admitted 1562; ancient, 1576). Barrister at law. High Sheriff of Suffolk, 1581-82, 1603-04, and of Norfolk, 1597-98; Bailiff of Bury St. Edmunds, 1571; JP for Suffolk, the Isle of Ely (from 1574) and Norfolk (from 1579); Constable of Wisbech Castle from 1597. MP for Beverley, 1563-67 and for Suffolk, 1572-83. Whilst there is no evidence of his making a mark in Parliament, he was assiduous in his work for the Crown in local administration, serving frequently on commissions and making inquiries for the Privy Council; during the Armada crisis, he led 500 Suffolk men to Tilbury. He was, however, vigilant for, and willing to resist, any infringement of the rights and privileges of the local gentry, as when, in 1596, he was accused of encouraging opposition to the levying of ship money on inland towns. He was knighted by Queen Elizabeth at Norwich, 22 May 1578, and created a baronet (the first to be so honoured), 22 May 1611, as a result of which his successors in the title down to the present day have been Premier Baronets of England. In religion, he was a strong Puritan, and he ensured that devout and godly ministers were appointed in the parishes where he had presentation. He married, c.1564, Anne (d. 1616), daughter and heiress of Edmund Butts of Thornage (Norfk), and had issue:
(1) John Bacon (b. c.1567); died young;
(2) Sir Edmund Bacon (1569-1649), 2nd bt. (q.v.);
(3) Henry Bacon (1570-c.1623?), baptised at Redgrave, 24 September 1570; a traveller (and perhaps merchant) in the Middle East; died unmarried and without issue at Jerusalem, perhaps between 1622 and 1624;
(4) Anne Bacon (1572-1624), baptised at Redgrave, 21 August 1572; married Sir Robert Drury MP (1575-1615), kt., of Hawstead (Suffk) and had issue two daughters (who died young); died 5 June 1624;
(5) Sir Robert Bacon (1574-1655), 3rd bt. (q.v.);
(6) James Bacon (b. 1575); died young;
(7) Dorothy Bacon (1576-1621), baptised at Redgrave, 4 September 1576; married 1st, 30 April 1595, as his second wife, Sir Bassingbourn Gawdy MP (1560-1606), kt. of Bardwell Hall, West Harling and had issue two sons and three daughters; married 2nd, 1609 at Beccles, Philip Colby esq.; died 20 December 1621 and was buried at Redgrave, where she was commemorated by a monument designed by Nicholas Stone and erected by her second husband;
(8) Bacqueville Bacon (1578-1635) of Hockham (Norfk), baptised 24 August 1578; educated at St. John's College, Cambridge (matriculated 1594); married Mary (d. 1662), daughter of Thomas French, and had issue three daughters; buried at Hockham, 7 December 1635;
(9) Sir Butts Bacon (1580-1661), 1st bt. (q.v.);
(10) Jemima Bacon (b. 1581), baptised 21 December 1581; married 1st, 11 May 1597 at Culford, as his second wife, Sir William Waldegrave MP (c.1573-1613), kt., of Smallbridge, and had issue three sons and three daughters; married 2nd, 1613, Henry Killigrew (c.1595-1646) of Arwenack (Cornwall), apparently a younger son of the diplomat and courtier, Sir Henry Killigrew (c.1528-1603); dead by 1648;
(11) Nicholas Bacon (1583-1641) [see below, Bacon of Gillingham Hall];
Sir Nathaniel Bacon (1585-1627):
self-portrait
(12) Sir Nathaniel Bacon (1585-1627), kt., of Culford Hall, baptised 2 August 1585; painter and botanist; travelled in the Netherlands, c.1613, and probably received some training as an artist there; appointed KB at the coronation of King Charles I, 1626; married, 1 May 1614, Jane (c.1580-1659), daughter of Hercules Meautys and widow of Sir William Cornwallis, who brought him Brome Hall (Suffk), and had issue one son (Sir Nicholas Bacon (d. 1660), kt.) and three daughters; died 'of a lingering illness' in June 1627 and was buried at Culford, 1 June 1627, where he is commemorated by a monument decorated with painter's palettes.
Through his marriage he acquired extensive estates in north Norfolk and on the Suffolk/Essex border. He inherited Redgrave Hall and Culford Hall (where he built a new house by 1591) from his father in 1579. He purchased Gillingham Hall c.1600. In 1609 he and his wife inherited his mother-in-law's property at Foxearth Hall and Westons (Essex). By the time of his death, his income from his estates is estimated at some £4,000 a year.
He died at Culford, and was buried at Redgrave, 10 November 1624; his will was proved in 1624. His wife died 19 September 1616 and was also buried at Redgrave, where they are commemorated by a monument designed in 1616 by Bernard Janssen, with effigies added by Nicholas Stone in 1620.

Bacon, Sir Edmund (1569-1649), 2nd bt. Second but eldest surviving son of Sir Nicholas Bacon (c.1543-1624), 1st bt., and his wife Anne, daughter and heiress of Edmund Butts of Thornage (Norfk), baptised at Redgrave, 17 February 1568/9. Educated at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge (admitted 1584) and Grays Inn (admitted 1586). MP for Eye, 1588-89 and for Suffolk, 1593, 1625; High Sheriff of Suffolk, 1634. He was a man of scholarly and scientific interests and had a laboratory at Redgrave. He travelled on the continent early in the reign of James I, and corresponded with his uncle, Sir Francis Bacon, and with Sir Henry Wotton, on scientific matters and his travels. In religion he appears to have been of Puritan inclinations, like most of his family. He was knighted, probably by 1614 and certainly by 1624, and succeeded his father as 2nd baronet, 12 November 1624. He married Philippa (1576-1626), daughter and coheir of Edward Wotton, 1st Baron Wotton of Marley, but had no issue.
He inherited Redgrave Hall and Thornage Hall from his father in 1624. At his death they passed to his younger brother, Robert.
He was buried  at Redgrave, 10 April 1649, where he is commemorated by a monument; his will was proved 2 May 1649. His wife died 1 October and was buried at Redgrave, 6 October 1626.

Bacon, Sir Robert (1574-1655), 3rd bt. Fourth son of Sir Nicholas Bacon (c.1543-1624), 1st bt., and his wife Anne, daughter and heiress of Edmund Butts of Thornage (Norfk), baptised at Redgrave, 4 May 1574. He succeeded his elder brother as 3rd baronet, 10 April 1649. He married 1st, 22 June 1598 at Isleham (Cambs), Anne (c.1581-1640), daughter of Sir John Peyton, 1st bt., of Isleham, and had issue:
(1) Nicholas Bacon (1599-1630), baptised at Isleham, 13 May 1599; married Margaret Hobart of Thwaite (Norfk), but had no issue; buried at Great Ryburgh, 23 December 1630;
(2) Edmund Bacon (b. 1600), baptised at Isleham, 13 March 1599/1600; educated at Grays Inn (admitted 1616) and Clare College, Cambridge (matriculated 1617; BA 1620/1; MA 1624); incorporated at Oxford University, 1627; 
(3) Robert Bacon (1602-52) (q.v.);
(4) Anne Bacon (b. 1604), baptised at Great Ryburgh, 7 October 1604; married Thomas Hunt of Sharington (Norfk), and had issue;
(5) Butts Bacon (c.1605-62) (q.v.);
(6) Nathaniel Bacon (c.1606-47), born about 1606; educated at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge (matriculated 1622; BA 1623/4; MA 1628); ordained deacon and priest, 1628/9; rector of Great Ryburgh, 1628-47; buried at Great Ryburgh, May 1647;
(7) Henry Bacon (d. 1611); died young and was buried at Great Ryburgh, 10 February 1610/11;
(8) Philippa Bacon (fl. 1653); married Hammond Claxton (1624-71) of Great Livermere (Suffk), and had issue;
(9) Alice Bacon (b. 1614), baptised at Great Ryburgh, 15 March 1613/4; married Richard Gwyn of Fakenham (Norfk), and had issue; living in 1655;
(10) Francis Bacon; died young;
(11) Drury Bacon; apprenticed to William Clowbery, haberdasher, of London, 1633; died unmarried;
(12) Peyton Bacon (b. 1620), baptised at Great Ryburgh, 21 June 1620; married Elizabeth (c.1618-1702), daughter of Charles Suckling, and had surviving issue two sons and one daughter.
He inherited the Great Ryburgh estate from his father in 1624, and Redgrave Hall from his elder brother in 1649. At his death Redgrave passed to his grandson, Sir Edmund Bacon, 4th bt. and Great Ryburgh to his younger surviving son, Butts Bacon (d. 1662).
He was buried at Great Ryburgh, 16 December 1655, where he is commemorated by a monument; his will was proved 26 April 1656. His wife was buried at Great Ryburgh, 27 September 1640.

Bacon, Robert (1602-52). Elder son of Sir Robert Bacon (1574-1655), 3rd bt., and his first wife Anne, daughter of Sir John Peyton, 1st bt., of Isleham, baptised at Isleham, 16 September 1602. He married, 31 December 1627 at Great Ryburgh, Catherine (d. 1658), daughter of Grave Violet, of Pinkney House, Taterford (Norfk), and had issue:
(1) Jemima Bacon (d. 1720), born after 1632; married 1st, 1666 (settlement 26 April), Francis Gardiner of Tollesbury (Essex), and had issue; married 2nd, Sir John Brattle (d. 1692), assay master of the Tower of London; as a widow lived at Woodham Mortimer (Essex); died about January 1719/20 and was buried at Tollesbury (Essex); will proved, 26 February 1719/20;
(2) Philippa Bacon (d. c.1658); married, 22 October 1649 at Thornage (Norfk), as his first wife, Sir George Reeve MP (c.1618-78), kt. & 1st bt. of Thwaite (Suffk), and had issue two sons and two daughters; died about 1658;
(3) Frances Bacon (fl. 1685), born after 1632; married, after 1650, Paul Bockenham of Great Thornham (Suffk); living in 1657;
(4) Anne Bacon (b. 1633), baptised at Great Ryburgh, 15 August 1633; married, as his second wife, Charles Yaxley (fl. 1664) of Yaxley Hall (Suffk), and had issue one son and two daughters; living in 1657;
(5) Sir Edmund Bacon (c.1634-85), 4th bt. (q.v.).
According to the will of his uncle, Sir Edmund, he lived at Thornage (Norfk), but in his will he describes himself as 'of Redgrave', even though he had a household at Thornage.
He died in the lifetime of his father, 15 August 1652, and was buried at Redgrave, where he is commemorated by a monument; his will was proved 30 September 1652 but gave rise to litigation within the family. His widow was buried at Redgrave, 7 January 1657/8; her will was proved 16 April 1658.

Bacon, Sir Edmund (c.1634-85), 4th bt. Only son of Robert Bacon (1602-52) and his wife Catherine, daughter of Grave Violet of Pinkney House (Norfk), born about 1634. Educated at Syderstone and Gressenhall, and at Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge (admitted 1648). He succeeded his grandfather as 4th baronet, 1655. Colonel of the Suffolk militia, 1660; High Sheriff of Suffolk, 1665-66; JP for Suffolk. He married, before May 1650, Elizabeth (1634-90), daughter and co-heir of Sir Robert Crane, 1st bt., of Chilton (Suffk), and had issue, with two other children who died in infancy:
(1) Robert Bacon (1652-59), baptised at Thornage, 21 February 1652; died young and was buried at Redgrave, 15 August 1659;
(2) Nicholas Bacon (1654-57), baptised at Thornage, 3 April 1654; died young and was buried at Redgrave, 1 December 1657;
(3) Edmund Bacon (d. 1658); died in infancy and was buried at Redgrave, 12 November 1658; 
(4) John Bacon (d. 1658); died young and was buried at Redgrave, 29 September 1658;
(5) Elizabeth Bacon (1657-60), baptised at Great Ryburgh, 9 March 1657; died young and was buried at Redgrave, 14 April 1660;
(6) Jemima Bacon (b. & d. 1659), baptised at Great Ryburgh, 1 November 1659; died in infancy and was buried at Redgrave, 22 November 1659;
(7) Frances Bacon (b. 1660), baptised at Redgrave, 24 January 1660; married, 1676, Walter Norborne MP (1655-84) of Calne (Wilts), who was killed in a duel, and had issue two daughters; living in 1728;
(8) Francis Bacon (b. & d. 1663), baptised at Redgrave, 20 September 1663; died in infancy and was buried at Redgrave the following day;
(9) Philip Bacon (b. & d. 1666), baptised at Redgrave, 10 August 1666; died in infancy and was buried at Redgrave, 13 August 1666;
(10) Elizabeth Bacon (1667-c.1697), baptised at Redgrave, 10 August 1667; married, 1686, William Ettrick (c.1652-1716) of Middle Temple, London, and had issue one daughter; died before 1697, when her husband married again;
(11) Susan Bacon (1668-1717), baptised at Redgrave, 15 December 1668; married Charles Morris (d. 1710) of Loddington (Leics) and had issue; buried at Loddington, 28 March 1717;
(12) Sarah Bacon (1669-82), baptised at Redgrave, 22 November 1669; died young and was buried at Redgrave, 5 December 1682;
(13) Philippa Bacon (1672-1710), baptised at Redgrave, 29 July 1672; married, 8 January 1688/9 at Redgrave, her cousin, Sir Edmund Bacon (1672-1721), 4th bt., of Gillingham Hall (q.v.) and had issue eight sons and three daughters; buried at Gillingham, 4 July 1710;
(14) Jane Bacon (1674-76), baptised at Redgrave, 18 January 1673/4; died young and was buried at Redgrave, 27 April 1676.
He inherited Redgrave Hall from his grandfather in 1655.
He died without surviving male issue, 12 September and was buried at Redgrave, 14 September 1685, where he is commemorated by a monument; his will was proved 9 February 1686. His widow married 2nd, after January 1686/7 at Chilton (Suffk), John Tate (1634-98), serjeant-at-law; she died 6 December and was buried (as Lady Bacon) at Redgrave, 10 December 1690, where she is commemorated by a monument.

Bacon, Butts (c.1605-62). Younger son of Sir Robert Bacon (d. 1655), 3rd bt., and his first wife Anne, daughter of Sir John Peyton, 1st bt., of Isleham, born about 1605. He married [forename unknown*], daughter and co-heir of Sir John Tracey, kt., of Stanhoe (Norfk), tenant of Stiffkey Old Hall, and had issue:
(1) Sir Robert Bacon (c.1651-1704), 5th bt. (q.v.).
He inherited the Great Ryburgh estate from his father in 1655.
He died in January 1662. His widow was living in 1664.
* Her name is usually given as Katherine, but in his will of 1664 Sir John Tracey refers to his daughter Catherine and his daughter Bacon in terms which make it clear they are different people.

Bacon, Sir Robert (c.1651-1704), 5th bt. Only son of Butts Bacon (c.1605-62) and his wife [forename unknown], daughter and co-heir of Sir John Tracey of Stanhoe (Norfk) and Stiffkey Old Hall, born about 1651. He succeeded his cousin as 5th baronet, 12 September 1685. Gentleman of the Privy Chamber to King William III, 1689-1700. In 1701 he helped to arrange a clandestine marriage conducted by the rector of Redgrave which led to proceedings in the church courts for several years. He married, 18 February 1673/4 at Wighton (Norfk), Elizabeth (d. 1686), daughter of Daniel Chandler of London, and had issue:
(1) Jane Bacon (1676-1705), baptised at Wighton, 16 July 1676; died unmarried, 14 October 1705 and was buried at Garboldisham;
(2) Jemima Bacon (b. & d. 1677); baptised at Wighton, 22 August 1677; died in infancy and was buried at Wighton, 16 September 1677;
(3) Dorothy Bacon (1678-79), baptised at Wighton, 17 September 1678; died in infancy and was buried at Wighton, 30 June 1679;
(4) Abigail Bacon (1679-1734), baptised at Wighton, 13 May 1679; married, 21 December 1710 at Garboldisham, Robert Casburn of Isleham (Cambs), but had no issue; buried at Redgrave, 19 October 1734;
(5) Sir Edmund Bacon (1680-1755), 6th bt. (q.v.);
(6) Robert Bacon (1681-97?), born 2 November and baptised at Little Walsingham, 15 November 1681; died in the lifetime of his father, and was possibly the person of that name buried at Redgrave, 21 May 1697;
(7) Nathaniel Bacon (b. 1682), born 27 November and baptised at Little Walsingham, 4 December 1682; died in the lifetime of his father;
(8) Butts Bacon (1684-1725/6), born 21 January and baptised at Little Walsingham, 12 February 1683/4; died unmarried, 1725/6.
He lived at Egmere (Norfk) until he inherited Redgrave Hall from his cousin, Sir Edmund Bacon, in 1685. He found the estates heavily indebted and sold Redgrave Hall to Sir John Holt in 1702 to clear the incumbrances. He purchased Garboldisham Hall with part of the proceeds.
He died 31 January and was buried at Garboldisham, 3 February 1704, where he is commemorated by a monument. His wife died 21 December 1686 and was buried at Wighton (Norfk), where she is commemorated by a monument.

Bacon, Sir Edmund (1680-1755), 6th bt. Only son of Sir Robert Bacon (c.1651-1704), 5th bt., and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Daniel Chandler, born 1 November and baptised at Little Walsingham, 18 November 1680. Educated at Pembroke College, Cambridge (admitted 1697). He succeeded his father as 6th baronet, 31 January 1704. Tory MP for Thetford, 1710-13 and for Norfolk, 1713-15, 1728-41, although he was sufficiently independent of view to vote with the Whigs on occasion. He married, 27 November 1712 at Ubbeston (Suffk), Mary (c.1687-1727), daughter of Sir Robert Kemp, 3rd bt., and sole heir of her mother, Letitia, daughter of Sir Robert King of Great Thurlow (Suffk), and had issue:
(1) Letitia Bacon (1715-59), baptised at Garboldisham, 5 April 1715; married, 3 October 1738 at Garboldisham, Sir Airmine Wodehouse MP (1714-77), 5th bt., and had issue three sons; died 30 March and was buried at Kimberley (Norfk), 7 April 1759;
(2) Mary alias Molly Bacon (c.1717-91); died unmarried aged 74 in London, 10 January 1791 and was buried at Redgrave, 19 January 1791;
(3) Elizabeth Bacon (c.1720-38); died unmarried, May 1738;
(4) Jane Bacon (b. & d. 1723), born 14 April 1723; died in infancy and was buried at Garboldisham, 3 May 1723;
(5) Sarah Bacon (1726-67), baptised at Garboldisham, 18 October 1726; married, 21 September 1752, Pryse Campbell MP (1726-68) of Cawdor Castle (Nairns) and Stackpole Court (Pembs), and had issue four sons and three daughters; died at Stackpole Court, 20 May 1767.
He inherited Garboldisham Hall from his father in 1704. At his death the estate passed to his eldest daughter, who sold it c.1756 to Crisp Molineux.
He died 29/30 April and was buried at Redgrave, 7 May 1755; his will was proved 1755. His wife died 14 September and was buried at Garboldisham, 17 September 1727.

Bacon, Sir Butts (1580-1661), 1st bt. Seventh son of Sir Nicholas Bacon (c.1543-1624), 1st bt., and his wife Anne, daughter and heiress of Edmund Butts of Thornage (Norfk), baptised at Redgrave, 24 May 1580. A Parliamentarian in the Civil War, he served as a member of the Parliamentary Committee for Suffolk from 1643 and as the captain of a militia company, 1644-45. He was created a baronet of Mildenhall, 29 July 1627. He married, 4 July 1611 at Culford (Suffk), Dorothea (d. 1657), daughter of Sir Henry Warner of Mildenhall and widow of Robert Jermyn, and had issue:
(1) Charles Bacon; died unmarried and without issue in the lifetime of his father;
(2) Clement Bacon; died unmarried and without issue in the lifetime of his father;
(3) Sir Henry Butts Bacon (c.1615-71), 2nd bt. (q.v.);
(4) Anne Bacon (d. 1667); married Henry Kitchingman of Blundeston Hall; buried at Blundeston, 10 August 1667;
(5) Dorothy Bacon; married William Peck (b. 1618; fl. 1664) of North Cove, son of Nicholas Peck, and had issue two sons and one daughter.
He lived at Mildenhall, presumably on property acquired through his marriage, and later at Herringfleet, where he is said to have built a new house.
He died 29 May 1661 and was buried at Blundeston (Norfk), where he is commemorated by a ledger stone; his will was proved at Norwich, 30 January 1661/2. His wife died 4 September 1657 and was also buried at Blundeston.

Bacon, Sir Henry Butts (c.1615-71), 2nd bt. Only surviving son of Sir Butts Bacon (1580-1661), 1st bt., of Mildenhall and his wife Dorothea, daughter of Sir Henry Warner of Mildenhall and widow of Robert Jermyn, born about 1615. He succeeded his father as 2nd baronet of Mildenhall, 29 May 1661. He married, 8 December 1643 at Norwich Cathedral, Barbara (d. 1678), daughter of William Gooch of Mettringham (Suffk), and had issue:
(1) Sir Henry Bacon (1644-86), 3rd bt. (q.v.);

(2) Anne Bacon; married, 20 November 1677 at Ashby (Suffk), her cousin, Sir Richard Bacon (c.1663-85), 3rd bt., of Gillingham Hall (q.v.).
He lived at Herringfleet (Norfk).
He died about 1671. His widow was buried at Blundeston, 17 December 1678.

Bacon, Sir Henry (1644-86), 3rd bt. Only son of Sir Henry Butts Bacon (c.1615-71), 2nd bt., and his wife Barbara, daughter of William Gooch of Mettringham (Suffk), born at Herringfleet, August 1644. He succeeded his father as 3rd baronet of Mildenhall, about 1671. He married, 29 June 1671 at Sturston (Suffk), Sarah (d. 1727), daughter of Sir John Castleton, 2nd bt., of Shipdham (Norfk) and Sturston, and had issue:
(1) Sir Edmund Bacon (1672-1721), 4th bt. (q.v.);
(2) Henry Bacon (1675-1730), born 6 May 1675 at Herringfleet; died unmarried and was buried at St. Botolph Aldgate, London, 21 October 1730;
(3) Nicholas Bacon (1677?-1715), said to have been born 1677; educated at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge (admitted 1694; BA 1697/8; MA 1701; BD 1709); Fellow of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, 1702-15; died unmarried and was buried in the college chapel, about October 1715; will proved 2 November 1715;
(4) Sarah Bacon (b. 1678), baptised at Ashby (Suffk), 29 June 1678; probably died unmarried;
(5) Philippa Bacon (b. 1684), baptised at Ashby, 1 December 1684; probably died unmarried;
(6) Richard Bacon (1686-1743?), baptised at Ashby, 27 February 1685/6 at Herringfleet; apothecary in Norwich; married, about 1720, Elizabeth (1682-1725), daughter of Thomas Palgrave and widow of Richard Lubbock (1676-1717), but had no issue; probably the man of this name buried at Gillingham, 15 August 1743.
He inherited his father's property at Herringfleet c.1671 and Gillingham Hall from his brother-in-law, Sir Richard Bacon, 3rd bt., in 1685.
He was buried at Gillingham, 13 January 1685/6. His widow died 3 February and was buried at Gillingham, 7 February 1727/8.

Bacon, Sir Edmund (1672-1721), 4th bt. Only son of Sir Henry Bacon (1644-86), 3rd bt., and his wife Sarah, daughter of Sir John Castleton, 2nd bt. of Shipdham (Norfk) and Sturston (Suffk), baptised at Sturston (Suffk), 6 April 1672. Educated at Botesdale and St John's College, Cambridge (admitted 1687). He succeeded his father as 4th bt., 13 January 1685/6. Freeman of Dunwich (Suffk), 1694-1701?, 1708 and Orford (Suffk), 1695-1704, 1709-14; Tory MP for Orford (Suffk), 1700-08, although not very engaged by either parliamentary or constituency affairs. It was probably he rather than his namesake of Garboldisham who was seriously wounded in a duel with a Whig squire in Suffolk shortly after the general election in 1708, and who was admitted into the Duke of Beaufort’s ‘loyal brotherhood’ in 1709, only to be expelled for non-attendance. He married 1st, 8 January 1688/9 at Redgrave, his cousin, Philippa (1672-1710), fourth daughter and co-heir of Sir Edmund Bacon, 4th bt., of Redgrave, and 2nd, 16 April 1713 at Raveningham, Mary (d, 1758), daughter and sole heiress of John Castell of Raveningham (Norfk), and had issue:
(1.1) Elizabeth Bacon (c.1689-1738), born about 1689; died unmarried and was buried at Gillingham, 13 September 1738;
(1.2) Philippa Bacon (b. & d. 1692), baptised at Gillingham, 26 July 1692; died in infancy and was buried at Gillingham, 10 November 1692;
(1.3) Sir Edmund Bacon (1693-1738), 5th bt. (q.v.);
(1.4) Sir Henry Bacon (1694-1753), 7th bt. (q.v.);
(1.5) Sir Richard Bacon (1696-1773), 8th & 7th bt. (q.v.);
(1.6) Devereux Bacon (1698-1731), baptised at Gillingham, 3 March 1697/8; apprenticed to John Newman of London, skinner, 1715; in service of East India Co. by 1723; Clerk of the Naval Office at Piscataway, 1728; appointed Surveyor-General of Customs in North America, 1731, but died at sea, unmarried, on his way to take up the appointment, 17 July 1731; will proved, 4 August 1731;
(1.7) Philippa Bacon (1699-1753), baptised at Gillingham, 4 April 1699; died unmarried and buried at Gillingham, 8 July 1753;
(1.8) Butts Bacon (1702-03), baptised at Gillingham, 6 January 1701/2; died in infancy and was buried at Gillingham, 12 March 1702/3;
(1.9) Rev. Dr. John Bacon (1703-32), baptised at Gillingham, 19 June 1703; educated at Beccles, Botesdale, Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge (matriculated 1721; BA 1724/5) and Middle Temple (admitted 1728); Fellow of Magdalene College, Cambridge, 1725-28 (MA 1728; LLD 1728); ordained deacon and priest, 1729; rector of Somerleyton and Blundeston with Flixton (Suffk), 1729-32; died 4 November 1732;
(1.10) Ralph Bacon (b. 1705), baptised at Gillingham, 12 April 1705; apprenticed to John Galton of London, cooper, 1721;
(1.11) Edward Bacon (1706-73), baptised at Gillingham, 7 November 1706; linen draper in Leadenhall Street, London; living early in 1773 but since he did not inherit the family baronetcy must have died before April that year;
(2.1) Castell Bacon (1714-70) (q.v.);
(2.2) Mary Bacon (1715-56), baptised at Gillingham, 7 September 1715; married Philip Bedingfield (1716-91) of Ditchingham (Norfk), and had issue; died 1756;
(2.3) Robert Bacon (b. & d. 1717), baptised at Gillingham, 7 March 1716/7; died in infancy and was buried at Gillingham, 17 March 1716/7;
(2.4) Anne Bacon (1718-85), baptised at Gillingham, 17 March 1717/8; died unmarried, 5 March 1785 and was buried at Raveningham.
He inherited Gillingham Hall and Herringfleet from his father in 1686 and sold the latter to the Allins of Somerleyton in 1703. His widow inherited Raveningham Hall in 1735 and at her death in 1758 it passed to their son, Castell Bacon (1714-70).
He died 10 July and was buried at Gillingham, 17 July 1721. His first wife was buried at Gillingham, 12 July 1710. His widow was buried at Gillingham, 1 October 1758.

Bacon, Sir Edmund (1693-1738), 5th bt. Eldest son of Sir Edmund Bacon (1672-1721), 4th bt., and his first wife, Philippa, daughter and co-heir of Sir Edmund Bacon (c.1634-85), 4th bt. of Redgrave Hall, born 7 August and baptised at Gillingham, 14 August 1693. Educated at Beccles, Bishops Stortford (Herts), Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge (admitted 1710; BA 1713/4; Fellow 1716-20) and Grays Inn (admitted 1714). He succeeded his father as 5th bt., 10 July 1721. Whig MP for Thetford, 1722-38, and a close supporter of Sir Robert Walpole. He married, 7 November 1724 at the Chapel Royal, Whitehall, London, Susan (1687-1769), daughter of Sir Isaac Rebow, kt., of Colchester, and had issue:
(1) Sir Edmund Bacon (1725-50), 6th bt., born 7 August and baptised at Gillingham, 17 August 1725; succeeded his father as 6th baronet and inherited the Gillingham estate, 4 October 1738; educated at Worlingham, Westminster and Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge (matriculated 1743; MA 1746; Fellow, 1746-50); gentleman usher and daily waiter to King George II; he was unmarried and without issue; died in London of smallpox, 6 April and was buried at Gillingham, 13 April 1750; administration of goods granted 7 June 1750;
(2) Susan Bacon (c.1728-86), born about 1728; married, 18 March 1755 at St George, Hanover Square, London, Francis Matthew Schutz (1729-79) and had issue two sons and four daughters; died aged 58 and was buried at Gillingham, 13 October 1786; will proved 30 October 1786.
He inherited the Gillingham Hall estate from his father in 1721 and purchased the Herringfleet estate in 1726; he sold the latter in 1733. At his death Gillingham passed to his son, and on his death in 1750 to his daughter and her husband.
He died at Bath (Somerset), 4 October 1738 and was buried at Gillingham, 16 October 1738; his will was proved 8 February 1739. His widow was buried at Gillingham, 1 April 1769.

Bacon, Sir Henry (1694-1753), 7th bt. Second son of Sir Edmund Bacon (1672-1721), 4th bt., and his first wife, Philippa, daughter and co-heir of Sir Edmund Bacon (c.1634-85), 4th bt. of Redgrave Hall, born 5 October and baptised at Gillingham, 8 October 1694. He succeeded his nephew as 7th baronet, 6 April 1750. He was unmarried and without issue.
He lived in Beccles (Suffk).
He died at his lodgings in Beccles, 2 September, and was buried at Gillingham, 5 September 1753.

Bacon, Sir Richard (1696-1773), 8th & 7th bt. Third son of Sir Edmund Bacon (1672-1721), 4th bt., and his first wife, Philippa, daughter and co-heir of Sir Edmund Bacon (c.1634-85), 4th bt. of Redgrave Hall, born 20 February and baptised at Gillingham, 5 March 1695/6. Apprenticed to Thomas Mayhew of Colchester, attorney, 1713. Solicitor in Colchester; Town Clerk of Colchester, 1725-36. Freeman of Colchester, 1728. He succeeded his brother as 8th baronet of Mildenhall, April 1753, and his fourth cousin once removed, Sir Edmund Bacon (d. 1755) as 7th baronet of Redgrave, 30 April 1755. He married 1st, 29 December 1720 at St Mary, Colchester (Essex), Bridget (d. 1726), daughter of Thomas Mayhew of Colchester, and 2nd, 18 July 1729 at St Paul, Covent Garden, Westminster, Lucy (1691-1765), a co-heir of the barony of FitzWalter, and daughter of Thomas Gardiner of Tollesbury (Essex), and had issue:
(1.1) Richard Bacon (1721-33); died young and was buried at Holy Trinity, Colchester, 28 February 1732/3;
(1.2) Philippa Bacon (1723-56), baptised at Holy Trinity, Colchester, 27 February 1722/3; died unmarried and was buried at the same church, 13 December 1756;
(1.3) Bridget Bacon (d. 1725); died in infancy and was buried at Holy Trinity, Colchester, 6 February 1724/5.
He lived at Colchester (Essex).
He died 2 April and was buried at Holy Trinity, Colchester (Essex), 11 April 1773; his will was proved 14 April 1773. His first wife died 6 January 1725/6 and was buried at Holy Trinity, Colchester (Essex). His second wife died 17 August and was buried at Holy Trinity, Colchester, 22 August 1765.

Bacon, Castell (1714-70). Only son of  Sir Edmund Bacon (1672-1721), 4th bt., and his second wife, Mary, daughter of John Castell of Raveningham (Norfk), born at Raveningham, 4 March, and baptised at Gillingham, 23 March 1713/4. Apprenticed to Robert Snell of Norwich, attorney, 1730. He married, 30 September 1747 at Norwich, Elizabeth (1708-77), daughter of Richard Dashwood of Cockley Cley (Norfk), and had issue:
(1) Sir Edmund Bacon (1749-1820), 8th & 9th bt. (q.v.);
(2) Dashwood Bacon (1752-1812); married, 15 June 1776 at St Thomas, Exeter (Devon), Anne Barbara Ogilvie (c.1742-1816) of St. Christopher's and had issue one son and one daughter (to whom Samuel Taylor Coleridge addressed a poem in 1793, and who married her cousin, Sir Edmund Bacon, 9th/10th bt.); buried at Ottery St Mary, 3 October 1812.
He inherited the Raveningham Hall estate from his father in 1721 and came of age in 1734.
He died 13 April 1770 and was buried at Raveningham; his will was proved 6 March 1771. His widow died at Beccles, 12 April 1777 and was buried at Raveningham.


Sir Edmund Bacon, 8th/9th bt.
Bacon, Sir Edmund (1749-1820), 8th & 9th bt. Elder son of Castell Bacon (1713-70) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Dashwood of Cley (Norfk), born 14 October 1749. He succeeded his half-uncle, Sir Richard Bacon, as 8th and 9th baronet, 2 April 1773. Captain in the Yarmouth Volunteer Cavalry (retired, 1803); JP for Norfolk and Suffolk; DL for Norfolk (from 1792); Chairman of the Norfolk Lunatic Asylum Committee and for many years Chairman of the Norfolk Grand Jury. He married, 29 January 1778 at St Marylebone, Anne (1749-1813), eldest daughter of Sir William Beauchamp-Proctor, 1st bt., and had issue:
(1) Sir Edmund Bacon (1779-1864), 9th & 10th bt. (q.v.);
(2) Anne Frances Bacon (1781-1866), born 6 March 1781; married, 20 December 1803 at Raveningham, Edward Thomas Hussey (1778-1846) of Galtrim and Rathkenny (Meath), only son of Thomas Hussey of Galtrim and Rathkenny, and had issue one son; died 2 September 1866 and was buried at Kensal Green Cemetery; administration of goods granted to her son, 24 October 1866 (effects under £3,000);
(3) Maria Bacon (1784-1864), born 21 September 1784; married, 11 February 1808 at Raveningham, Maj. Edward Hodge (1782-1815), who was killed in action the day before the Battle of Waterloo, and had issue one son and one daughter; died 27 January 1864; will proved 11 February 1864 (effects under £3,000);
(4) Nicholas Bacon (1786-1863) (q.v.);
(5) Henry Bacon (later Bacon Hickman) (1788-1862), born 29 October 1788; banker and wine merchant at Kings Lynn until he inherited Thonock Hall (Lincs) from his distant kinswoman, Frances Hickman in 1826, on condition that he adopted the surname Hickman; High Sheriff of Lincolnshire, 1831; died unmarried and without issue, 10 May 1862;
He inherited the Raveningham Hall estate from his father in 1770 and built a new house there shortly afterwards. In 1795 he inherited the Chancery Lane property from his distant kinsman, Rev. Nicholas Bacon.
He died of injuries sustained by falling from his carriage at Stratton Hall (Norfk), 5 September 1820 and was buried at Raveningham; his will was proved October 1820. His wife died 26 August 1813 and was buried at Raveningham.

Bacon, Sir Edmund (1779-1864), 9th & 10th bt. Elder son of Sir Edmund Bacon (1749-1820), 8th & 9th bt., and his wife Anne, eldest daughter of Sir William Beauchamp-Proctor, 1st bt., born 6 July 1779 and baptised at Raveningham. Educated at Rugby. He succeeded his father as 9th and 10th bt., 5 September 1820. JP and DL for Norfolk; High Sheriff of Norfolk, 1826; a Trustee of the Norwich Equitable Fire Assurance Society. He married, 27 August 1801 at Ottery St Mary (Devon), his cousin, Mary Anne Elizabeth (1778-1820), daughter of Dashwood Bacon of Ottery St. Mary, and had issue:
(1) Edmund Bacon (1803-52), born 31 January 1803; married, 22 August 1832 at St George, Hanover Square, London, Louisa (c.1804-81), daughter of William Richardson MP of Rich Hill (Armagh), but had no issue; died in the lifetime of his father, 14 April 1852; will proved 6 September 1852;
(2) Anna Maria Bacon (1804-49), born 10 March 1804; died unmarried, 28 June and was buried at Raveningham, 15 July 1849; will proved 14 December 1849;
(3) Harriet Laura Bacon (1805-28), born 22 July 1805; died unmarried, 16 November 1828, and was buried at Raveningham;
(4) Frances Bacon (1808-92), born 20 May 1808; married 1st, 28 May 1833, Rev. Hugh Walpole Neville (1803-37), rector of Burgh Apton (Norfk) and Otley (Suffk), second son of Hon. & Rev. George Henry Neville of Flower Place (Surrey), and 2nd, 29 October 1840, Col. Sir Hambleton Francis Custance KCB (1809-93) of Weston House, Weston Longville (Norfk), and had issue by her second husband one son and one daughter; died 4 October and was buried at Weston Longville, 10 October 1892; will proved 31 December 1892 (effects £2,321);
(5) Nicholas Henry Bacon (1814-43), born 23 May 1814; died unmarried in the lifetime of his father, 15 May 1843.
He inherited the Raveningham Hall estate and the Chancery Lane property from his father in 1820. At his death it passed to his nephew, Sir Henry Hickman Bacon, 10th & 11th bt.
He died at Raveningham Hall, 30 May 1864; will proved 24 August 1864 (effects under £25,000). His wife died 24 October 1820 and was buried at Raveningham.

Bacon, Nicholas (1786-1863). Second son of Sir Edmund Bacon (1749-1820), 8th & 9th bt., and his wife Anne, eldest daughter of Sir William Beauchamp-Proctor, 1st bt., born at Raveningham, 6 June 1786. Freemason with the Apollo Lodge, Beccles (Suffk) from 1808; Steward of Beccles Races. He was a gambler and spendthrift, and is said to have squandered his money betting on fighting cocks. He married, 14 October 1813 at Kings Lynn, Jane (1795-1888), second daughter of Alexander Bowker of Lynn, and had issue:
(1) Jane Bacon (1814-94), born at Beccles (Suffk), 25 August 1814; married, 9 May 1832 at Gainsborough, William Hutton (1805-77) of Gate Burton Hall (Lincs) and had issue two sons; died 14 February 1894; will proved 14 March 1894 (effects £2,526);
(2) Ann Elizabeth Bacon (1816-99), baptised at Beccles, 14 September 1816; married, 7  May 1837, John Henry Barker (d. 1876) of Bakewell (Derbys) and had issue one son and one daughter; died 20 May and was buried at Bakewell, 24 May 1899; will proved 6 July 1899 (estate £15,532);
(3) Sir Henry Hickman Bacon (1820-72), 10th & 11th bt. (q.v.);
(4) Rev. Francis Bacon (1824-82), born 17 February and baptised at Blundeston, 24 February 1824; educated at St John's College, Cambridge (admitted 1842: BA 1846; MA 1849); ordained deacon, 1850 and priest, 1851; curate of Cossall (Notts), 1851-54; vicar of Hundleby (Lincs), 1860-63; purchased Much Hadham Hall, 1866, and lived there until his death; married, 19 June 1855, Caroline Cecilia (d. 1897), fourth daughter of Peter Clement Cazalet of Kemp Town, Brighton, and had issue two sons; died 28 June 1882; will proved 2 August 1882 (effects £18,946).
He lived at Blundeston House (Suffk/Norfk) and later at Bracondale, Norwich. His wife lived latterly at Lincoln.
He died at Bracondale in Norwich, 9 February 1863; administration of his goods was granted to his elder son, 11 April 1863 (effects under £1,500). His widow died at Blidworth Dale (Notts), 24 September 1888; her will was proved 17 November 1888 (effects £21,436).


Sir Henry Hickman Bacon, 10th/11th bt.
Image: Gainsborough Old Hall
Bacon, Sir Henry Hickman (1820-72), 10th & 11th bt. Elder son of Nicholas Bacon (1786-1863) and his wife Jane, second daughter of Alexander Bowker of Lynn, born at Blundeston (Norfk), 5 April, and baptised there, 6 April 1820. Educated at Sandhurst. An officer in the 3rd Dragoon Guards (Cornet, 1838; Lt., 1842; Capt., 1847). He succeeded his uncle as 10th and 11th baronet, 30 May 1864. JP (from 1851) and DL (from 1853) for Lincolnshire. High Sheriff of Lincolnshire, 1867. President of the Gainsborough Savings Bank, 1866-72. He was a keen huntsman and yachtsman, and his yacht 'Avocet' was sold after his death. He married, 17 March 1853 at Corringham (Lincs), Elizabeth (d. 1885), daughter and co-heir of Sir Thomas Beckett, 3rd bt. of Somerby Park, and had issue:
(1) Sir Hickman Beckett Bacon (1855-1945), 11th & 12th bt. (q.v.);
(2) Louisa Bacon (1856-82), born Apr-Jun 1856; died unmarried in Madeira, 2 March 1882, and was buried in the English Cemetery at Funchal, Madeira;
(3) Sir Nicholas Henry Bacon (1857-1947), 12th & 13th bt. (q.v.);
(4) Edmund Bacon (1860-86), born 15 January 1860; an officer in the King's Royal Rifle Corps (2nd Lt., 1880; Lt., c.1881; retired 1883); died unmarried 'of lung disease', 13 August 1886; will proved 14 September 1886 (estate £121,978);
(5) Frances Elizabeth Bacon (1862-1944), born Jan-Mar 1862; married, 28 December 1882 at Gainsborough, Ralph Creyke (1849-1908) of Rawcliffe Hall (Yorks) and had issue one son; died 2 February 1944; will proved 21 April 1944 (estate £141,872);
(6) Thomas Walter Bacon (1863-1950) of Ramsden Hall, Billericay (Essex), born 16 September 1863; educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1882); JP for Essex (by 1909); married, 30 May 1901 at Branston (Lincs), Edith Mary (d. 1950), daughter of Alexander Samuel Leslie-Melville of Branston Hall, and had issue three sons; died 2 December 1950; will proved 7 January 1951 (estate £298,297);
(7) Richard Castell Bacon (1866-1961) of Willingham House (Lincs) and later of Harrow Lodge, Christchurch (Hants), born 20 February 1866; educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge (BA 1888; MA 1893); an officer in the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry Cavalry (2nd Lt., 1889), Lincolnshire Yeomanry (Lt., 1901) and served in First World War in Royal Defence Corps (Capt., 1915); JP for Lindsey (from 1901) and Nottinghamshire; DL for Lincolnshire (retired 1925); High Sheriff of Lincolnshire, 1914-15; died unmarried, 12 January 1961; will proved 3 March 1961 (estate £301,169);
(8) Mary Rose Bacon (1868-1943), born Oct-Dec 1868; married, 14 February 1895 at All Saints, Margaret St., London, Sir Charles Burton Barrington (1848-1943), 5th bt. of Glenstal Castle (Limerick) and had issue two sons and one daughter (who was murdered in 1921); died 1 March 1943 and was buried at Botley (Hants).
He inherited Raveningham Hall and the Chancery Lane property from his uncle, Sir Edmund Bacon, in 1864 and Thonock Hall (Lincs) from his uncle Henry Bacon Hickman in 1862.
He died at Thonock Hall, 14 November 1872, and was buried at Raveningham; his will was proved 12 December 1872 (effects under £70,000). His widow also died at Thonock Hall, 29 November 1885, and was buried at Raveningham.

Bacon, Sir Hickman Beckett (1855-1945), 11th & 12th bt. Eldest son of Sir Henry Hickman Bacon (1820-72), 10th & 11th bt., and his wife Elizabeth, daughter and co-heir of Sir Thomas Beckett, 3rd bt., born at Thonock Hall, 14 April 1855 and baptised at Gainsborough. Educated at Eton. He succeeded his father as 11th & 12th baronet, 14 November 1872. An officer in the Grenadier Guards (Lt.), 1877-78, but as a young man he suffered from ill health and made frequent trips to Madeira to benefit from the climate. JP and DL for the Parts of Lindsey; High Sheriff of Lincolnshire, 1887; County Alderman of Lindsey County Council (Chairman, 1914-24); member of the Trent Navigation Co., Trent Fishery Board, and Humber Conservancy Board; governor of Kingston Agricultural College and Gainsborough Grammar School; president of the governors of Coupland Hospital. He contributed to the building and repair of Anglican churches around Gainsborough and provided land for house-building, sports grounds and allotments in the town, as well as supporting the development of the scouting movement in the area. He was a pioneering motoring enthusiast, being among the earliest members of the RAC and Brooklands Racing Club, and was President of the Lincolnshire Automobile Club from its inception. He was also a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron and a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries. He formed an exceptional collection of watercolours (the Hickman Bacon Collection) which is still owned by the family and which has been widely exhibited. He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited Thonock Hall and the Chancery Lane property from his father in 1872 and Somerby Hall (Lincs) and the Meanwood Hall estate near Leeds (Yorks WR) from his aunt in 1915. He sold his Leeds property to Leeds Corporation in 1920. With Edward Strutt, he purchased the Colville estate in Notting Hill and set up the Colville Estate Company to manage his London property.
He died at Thonock Hall, 13 April 1945 aged 89; his will was proved 12 October 1945 (estate £929,476).

Bacon, Sir Nicholas Henry (1857-1947), 12th & 13th bt. Second son of Sir Henry Hickman Bacon (1820-72), 10th & 11th bt., and his wife Elizabeth, daughter and co-heir of Sir Thomas Beckett, 3rd bt., born 22 October 1857. Educated at Eton and RMC Sandhurst. An officer in 4th Dragoon Guards (2nd Lt., 1876; Lt., 1877; Capt., 1882; retired 1884); served in Egyptian Campaign, 1882. JP for Norfolk; DL for Norfolk (1893-1939); High Sheriff of Norfolk, 1895. He succeeded his elder brother as 12th & 13th baronet, 13 April 1945. He married, 22 June 1893 at Branston (Lincs), Constance Alice CBE (1870-1962), fifth and youngest daughter of Alexander Samuel Leslie-Melville of Branston Hall, and had issue:
(1) Margery Frances Bacon (1894-1977), born 24 November 1894; married, 7 January 1920, Lt-Col. Sir Charles Samuel Rowley (1891-1962), 6th bt. and had issue one son and two daughters; died 15 March 1977; will proved 2 August 1977 (estate £55,604);
(2) Albinia Joane Bacon (1897-1997), born 3 January 1897; married, 9 January 1924, Brig. Wilson Theodore Oliver Crewdson CB (1887-1961), son of Wilson Crewdson of St. Leonards-on-Sea (Sussex) and had issue one son and one daughter; died 5 July 1997, aged 100; will proved 10 September 1997;
(3) Bridget Louisa Bacon (1897-1975), born 25 December 1897; married, 24 July 1934, Lt-Col. William Noel Arnold MC (1886-1973), son of Charles Arnold, but had no issue; died 24 April 1975; will proved 16 October 1973 (estate £121,561);
(4) Constance Rhoda Elizabeth Bacon (1899-1969), born 21 August 1899; married, 1 October 1919, Capt. Gerard William Reginald Fane DSC (1898-1979) of Feering Place (Essex) and had issue two sons; died 26 March 1969; will proved 2 July 1969 (estate £49,624);
(5) Sir Edmund Castell Bacon (1903-82), 13th & 14th bt. (q.v.);
(6) Katherine Mary Bacon (1906-2000), born 15 July 1906; married, 22 July 1930, John Fowell Buxton (1902-70), eldest son of Henry Fowell Buxton of Easneye, Ware (Herts) and had issue one son and five daughters; died 17 August 2000 aged 94.
He inherited Raveningham Hall from his father in 1872 and came of age in 1878. 
He died 1 January 1947; his will was proved 31 May 1947 (estate £268,172). His widow died 11 February 1962; her will was proved 19 July 1962 (estate £6,740).

Bacon, Sir Edmund Castell (1903-82) KG, 13th & 14th bt. Only son of Sir Nicholas Henry Bacon (1857-1947), 12th & 13th bt., and his wife Constance Alice CBE, youngest daughter of Alexander Samuel Leslie-Melville of Branston Hall (Lincs), born at 18 Cadogan Square, London, 18 March 1903. Educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge. He served as an officer in Suffolk Yeomanry anti-tank regiment of Royal Artillery (Lt-Col.), 1940-44, and was mentioned in despatches; Hon. Col. of Suffolk & Norfolk Yeomanry, 1961-67. Director of Lloyds Bank, 1949-73; Chairman of British Sugar Corporation, 1957-68; President of Eastern Counties Farmers Ltd to 1973; Chairman of Royal Norfolk Agricultural Assoc. and Norfolk Agricultural Station; and of Agriculture National Economic Development Committee, 1966-71. Member of Eastern Regional Board of the Transport Commission and a Church Commissioner, 1955-63. JP (from 1944) and DL (from 1939) for Norfolk; Lord Lieutenant of Norfolk, 1949-78. High Steward of Norwich Cathedral, 1956-79, in which capacity he spearheaded the post-war restoration of the cathedral, and of Great Yarmouth. 1968-82; Pro-Chancellor of University of East Anglia, 1964-73 (hon. DCL 1969). He succeeded his father as 13th & 14th baronet, 1 January 1947 and was appointed OBE, 1945; KBE, 1965; KSt.J, and KG, 1970. He was also an honorary freeman of Norwich. He married, 15 January 1936, Priscilla Dora (d. 2000), eldest daughter of Col. Sir Charles Edward Ponsonby MP, 1st bt., and had issue:
(1) Joanna Constance Bacon (1937-94), born 12 March 1937; married, 18 May 1957, Hon. Edward Roundell Palmer (1926-74), youngest son of Roundell Cecil Palmer, 3rd Earl of Selborne, and had issue two sons and two daughters; died 28 January 1994;
(2) Lavinia Winifred Bacon (b. 1939), born 7 June and baptised at Raveningham, 8 August 1939; educated at Heathfield School, Ascot; librarian at Courtauld Institute of Art, London, 1961-67; social worker with Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea, 1968-72; member of Council of National Trust for Scotland since 1976; Trustee of National Galleries of Scotland, 1996-98; widely travelled; author of Uncle Hicky: Sir Hickman Bacon - an Edwardian eccentric, 2001; married, 21 November 1972, her first cousin once removed, Stephen Cokayne Gibbs OBE (b. 1929) of Dougarie, Isle of Man, second son of the Hon. Sir Geoffrey Cokayne Gibbs KCMG, and had issue two sons and one daughter;
(3) Elizabeth Albinia Bacon (b. 1944), born 15 January 1944; family therapist; director of Norfolk Churches Trust, 1994-2006; married, 11 September 1971, Ronald James Bremner Hoare, banker, of Hong Kong and later of Roydon Hall, Diss (Norfk), son of Wilfred Hoare, of Orwell House, Milnsthorp (Kinross) and had issue one son and two daughters;
(4) Sarah Bacon (b. 1947), born 1 June 1947; Trustee of County Durham Community Foundation, 1995-date and Auckland Castle Trust, 2012-date; married, 18 July 1970, Sir Paul Douglas Nicholson KCVO (b. 1938) of Quarry Hill, Brancepeth (Co. Durham), chairman of Vaux Group, 1976-97 and Lord Lieutenant of Co. Durham, 1997-2013, and had issue one daughter;
(5) Sir Nicholas Hickman Ponsonby Bacon (b. 1953), 14th & 15th bt. (q.v.).
He inherited Thonock Hall from his uncle in 1945, and Raveningham Hall from his father in 1947.
He died 30 September 1982; his will was proved 8 June 1983 (estate £855,542). His widow died 19 March 2000; her will was proved 10 January 2001.


Sir Nicholas Bacon, 14th/15th bt.
Bacon, Sir Nicholas Hickman Ponsonby (b. 1953), 14th & 15th bt. Only son of Sir Edmund Castell Bacon (1903-82), 13th & 14th bt., and his wife Priscilla Dora, eldest daughter of Col. Sir Charles Edward Ponsonby, 1st bt., born 17 May 1953. Educated at Eton, Dundee Univ (MA) and Grays Inn (called to bar, 1978). Page of Honour to HM the Queen, 1966-69. He succeeded his father as 14th & 15th baronets, 30 September 1982. DL for Norfolk (from 1998); High Sheriff of Norfolk, 2005. Member of Council of Royal Horticultural Society (Treasurer, 2008-13; President, 2013-date); Chairman of Royal Norfolk Agricultural Association, 2002-date; member of Council of the National Trust; member of the Prince's Council of the Duchy of Cornwall, 2005-date (Vice-Chairman, Lord Warden of the Stannaries and Keeper of the Privy Seal, 2006-date); President of Norfolk Beekeepers Association and Friends of Old Hall, Gainsborough. Appointed OBE, 2010. A liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Grocers. He married, 1981, Susan Henrietta, daughter of Raymond Dinnis of Delaware Farm, Edenbridge (Kent), and had issue:
(1) Henry Hickman Bacon (b. 1984), born 23 April 1984; director of Lion Growth Fund;
(2) Edmund Bacon (b. 1986), born 22 April 1986;
(3) Nathaniel John W. Bacon (b. 1989); married, 2 July 2017, Connie Arkell;
(4) Thomas Castell Bacon (b. 1992), born 22 March 1992; digital entrepreneur.
He inherited the Raveningham Hall and Thonock Hall estates from his father in 1982.
Now living.


Bacon family of Gillingham


Bacon, Nicholas (1583-1641). Eighth son of Sir Nicholas Bacon (c.1543-1624), 1st bt., and his wife Anne, daughter and heiress of Edmund Butts of Thornage (Norfk), baptised at Redgrave, 10 November 1583. He married 1st, Anne, daughter of Sir James Weston of Castle Camps (Cambs), Baron of the Exchequer, and 2nd, 26 October 1622 at Fornham (Suffk), Margaret, daughter of Eustace Darcy of Bury St. Edmunds, and had issue:
(1.1) Anne Bacon, baptised 18 February 1620 at Castle Camps (Cambs); married, 23 June 1636 at Gillingham, as his first wife, Sir John Rous (1608-70), 1st bt., but had no issue; died before 1645;
(2.1) Sir Nicholas Bacon (1623-66), 1st bt. (q.v.).
He inherited Gillingham Hall from his father in 1624.
He died 3 August and was buried at Gillingham, 4 August 1641, where he is commemorated by a monument. His first wife died before 1622. His second wife was buried at Gillingham, 20 October 1639.

Bacon, Sir Nicholas (1623-66), 1st bt. Only son of Nicholas Bacon (1583-1641) and his second wife Margaret, daughter of Eustace Darcy of Bury St. Edmunds, baptised at Gillingham, 31 October 1623. Educated at Grays Inn (admitted 1639). In 1649 he inherited the chemical apparatus of his kinsman, Sir Edmund Bacon (d. 1649), 2nd bt., so he presumably had scientific interests. He was created a baronet, 7 February 1661/2. He married, after 31 May 1647, Elizabeth (c.1626-74), daughter of Richard Freston of Mendham (Norfk), and had issue:
(1) Nicholas Bacon (1649-62), baptised at Gillingham, 17 May 1649*; died young and was buried at Gillingham, 26 January 1661/2;
(2) Sir Edmund Bacon (d. 1683), 2nd bt. (q.v.);
(3) Sir Richard Bacon (d. 1685), 3rd bt. (q.v.);
(4) Nathaniel Bacon (d. 1669); died young and was buried at Gillingham, 25 November 1669.
He inherited Gillingham Hall from his father in 1641/6.
He died 3 August and was buried at Gillingham, 4 August 1666, where he is commemorated by a monument. His widow married 2nd, 14 April 1670, Sir William Godbold (d. 1687) and was buried at Gillingham, 7 December 1674.
* The register entry appears under both 1647 and 1649 but the latter must be correct.

Bacon, Sir Edmund (c.1660-83), 2nd bt. Elder son of Sir Nicholas Bacon (1623-66), 1st bt., of Gillingham Hall, and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Freston of Mendham (Norfk), born about 1660. He succeeded his father as 2nd baronet, 3 August 1666. Educated at Lincoln's Inn (admitted 1669, aged about nine). Said to be aged fourteen at the heralds' visitation of Norfolk, 1674. He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited Gillingham Hall from his father in 1666. At his death it passed to his brother, Sir Richard Bacon.
He was buried at Gillingham, 5 November 1683.

Bacon, Sir Richard (c.1663-85), 3rd bt. Younger son of Sir Nicholas Bacon (1623-66), 1st bt., of Gillingham Hall, and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Freston of Mendham (Norfk), born about 1663. He succeeded his brother as 3rd baronet, November 1683. He married, 20 November 1677 at Ashby (Suffk), his second cousin, Anne, daughter of Sir Henry Butts Bacon (d. c.1671), 2nd bt., but had no issue.
He inherited Gillingham Hall from his brother in 1683. At his death it passed to his brother-in-law, Sir Henry Bacon (d. 1686), 3rd bt.
He was buried at Gillingham, 8 October 1685, when his baronetcy became extinct; his will was proved 26 May 1686. His wife apparently predeceased him.


Bacon family of Stiffkey


Sir Nathaniel Bacon (c.1546-1622)
Bacon, Sir Nathaniel (c.1546-1622), kt. Second surviving son of Sir Nicholas Bacon (1510-79), kt. and his first wife, Jane, daughter of William Fernley of West Creeting (Suffk), born about 1546. Educated at Trinity College, Cambridge (admitted 1561) and Grays Inn (admitted 1562; ancient, 1576). In religion, he was a moderate Puritan, and he was motivated by both his religious beliefs and his humanistic upbringing to be active in public affairs, particularly at the local level, but he was 'self-righteous and plain-speaking to the point of tactlessness', which limited his effectiveness. JP (1573-1622) and DL (1605-22) for Norfolk; High Sheriff of Norfolk, 1586-87, 1599-1600; and Commissioner for Musters, 1596-1605. As MP for Tavistock, 1571, 1572; Norfolk, 1584, 1593, 1604 and Kings Lynn, 1597 he was assiduous in promoting what he perceived as in the best interests of his locality. He acted for the Duchy of Lancaster as Steward of their Norfolk estates, 1599-1622 (Deputy Steward, 1583-99). He was made a Knight of the Bath in 1604. He had a well-furnished library, but unlike his father showed little interest in cultural pursuits. He was not particularly sociable, and enjoyed a poor relationship with his stepmother and his second wife. He married 1st, 29 June 1569 at St Sepulchre without Holborn (Middx), Anne (d. 1594), illegitimate daughter of the financier, Sir Thomas Gresham, and 2nd, 21 July 1597, Dorothy (c.1570-1629), daughter of Arthur Hopton and widow of William Smith of Burgh Castle (Suffk), and had issue:
(1) Anne Bacon (1573-1623), baptised 7 August 1573; married, 1593, Sir John Townshend MP (1568-1603), kt. of Raynham Hall (Norfk) (who died from wounds received in a duel), and had issue two sons, the elder of whom (Sir Roger Townshend) inherited Stiffkey and Raynham; died about January 1622/3 and was buried at Stiffkey; will proved 4 February 1622/3;
(2) Elizabeth Bacon (1575-1630), baptised at Cockthorpe (Norfk), 1 May 1575; married, 1592, Sir Thomas Knyvett MP (c.1560-1605), son of Sir Thomas Knyvett of Ashwellthorpe (Norfk), de jure 4th Baron Berners, and had issue two sons and one daughter; died 20 May 1630 and was buried at Stiffkey;
(3) John Bacon (b. & d. 1576); died in infancy;
(4) Nicholas Bacon (b. & d. 1577); baptised 7 April 1577; died in infancy, late in August 1577;
(5) Winifred Bacon (b. 1578), baptised 4 May 1578; married Sir Robert Gawdy (1577-1639), kt., of Claxton (Norfk), and had issue two sons and one daughter; died before 1639.
His father bought the Stiffkey estate for him in about 1571 and he built a new house there, partly to his father's designs, c.1576-1604; the freehold came into his possession at his father's death in 1579. At his death it passed to his grandson, Sir Roger Townshend (1596-1637). In 1609 he built Irmingland Hall for his second wife and her son by a previous marriage, William Roberds Smith.
He died at Stiffkey Hall and was buried at Stiffkey, 7 November 1622, where he is commemorated by a monument which he commissioned in 1614; his will was proved 24 January 1622/3. His first wife died about June 1594. His second wife died 21 August and was buried at Great Cressingham, 30 August 1629.


Bacon family of Gorhambury


Anthony Bacon (d. 1601)
Bacon, Anthony (1558-1601). Elder son of Sir Nicholas Bacon (1510-79), kt., and his second wife, Anne, daughter of Sir Anthony Cooke of Gidea Hall (Essex), born 1558. Educated privately at home and then at Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1576). In 1579, after a bitter squabble with his half-brothers over their father's will, he moved to France, where he began sending back intelligence reports to his uncle, Lord Burghley, and Sir Francis Walsingham, the Queen's spymaster. Over the next few years he travelled extensively in France and Switzerland, and became an unofficial channel of communication between the authorities in England and the French Huguenot leader, Henri of Navarre in Montauban. In the 1580s his enemies within the court at Montauban accused him of sodomy and he may have been tried for that offence, as Navarre certainly intervened to commute a sentence against him. In 1592 he finally returned to England, where he was in expectation of some reward or employment from Lord Burghley, but he was put off with fair words, perhaps because his prolonged absence had alienated his mother, Burghley's sister-in-law. Instead his brother Francis introduced him to the Earl of Essex, for whom he was soon co-ordinating an intelligence operation with contacts across Europe. From an early age he was prone to ill health, and from about 1593 onwards he was increasingly afflicted with kidney stones and gout which limited his mobility. On Essex's nomination he was MP for Wallingford, 1593 and Oxford, 1597, but may never have attended sittings of Parliament. He became increasingly housebound and in 1596 moved into Essex House in the Strand, where he lived until the Queen ejected Essex's household in 1600. He had apparently distanced himself from the Earl by the time of Essex's rebellion in 1601, which anyway occurred while he was on his deathbed. Although there is no clear evidence, his rejection of advantageous marriage proposals on two occasions and the accusations of sodomy against him in France suggest that he was probably homosexual. He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited Gorhambury from his father in 1579, subject to his mother's life interest, but lived mainly in London or at his brother's house at Twickenham (Middx), after his return to England.
He was buried 17 May 1601 at St Olave, Hart St., London; administration of his goods was granted to his brother Francis, 23 June 1601.

Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626), Viscount St Alban.
For further portraits, see here.
Bacon, Sir Francis (1561-1626), 1st Baron Verulam & 1st Viscount St. Alban. Younger son of Sir Nicholas Bacon (1510-79), kt., and his second wife, Anne, daughter of Sir Anthony Cooke of Gidea Hall (Essex), born 22 January at York House, The Strand, London, and baptised at St Martin-in-the-Fields, Westminster, 25 January 1560/1. Educated at privately at home to the age of 12 and then at Trinity College, Cambridge (admitted 1573; hon. MA 1594) and Grays Inn (admitted 1576; called to bar, 1582; bencher, 1586; reader, 1600; treasurer, 1609). As a young man, he was attached to Sir Amyas Paulet's embassy to France, 1576-79, and took the opportunity for some further study at the University of Poitiers. After returning to England and completing his studies at Grays Inn he worked as a barrister (QC 1595; KC 1603), although he begrudged the time these duties took from his philosophical pursuits. By 1590, he was in the service of the Earl of Essex, who tried - largely unsuccessfully - to promote his career, but his prospects improved dramatically after King James I came to the throne. He was MP for Melcombe Regis, 1584-86; Taunton, 1586-87; Liverpool, 1588-89; Middlesex, 1592-93; Ipswich, 1597-98, 1601 and 1604-11 and Cambridge University, 1614. He was appointed Commissioner for ecclesiastical causes in the province of Canterbury, 1603; Commissioner for the Treaty of Union with Scotland, 1604; and granted a royal pension of £60 a year, 1604. He became Solicitor-General, 1607-13; Clerk of the Council of the Star Chamber, 1608; Chancellor of the Colony of Virginia, 1609 (in which capacity he may have drafted the charters for the government of the colony); and was one of the founders of the Newfoundland Company which established a colony on that island, 1610. He was made Attorney-General, 1613-17; a Privy Councillor, 1616-25; High Steward of St. Albans, 1616-26 and of Cambridge, 1617-26; Lord Keeper of Great Seal, 1617-18; and finally Lord Chancellor, 1618-21, but his years of office came to an abrupt end when he admitted charges of bribery and was fined £40,000 and imprisoned in the Tower of London for 3 months, before being pardoned by King James I and paid a pension of £1,200 a year. The significance of his public life is, however, eclipsed by his importance as a philosopher, jurist and scientist, to which he was able to devote his time after his enforced retirement from public office. As a philosopher he turned his attention to many subjects in his collection of Essays, first published in 1597 and reissued in expanded form in 1612 and 1625: his delightful essays on building and gardens were particularly influential over the next century and more. In science, he was the first to reject the Aristotelian approach to scientific knowledge and to propose that science should be based on experiment and inductive reasoning, thus laying the foundations on which the entire edifice of modern scientific understanding is based. In the law, he established key features of legal procedure, although his wider proposals for reform were more influential abroad (where they became one of the building blocks of the Napoleonic code). Although apparently not a Rosicrucian himself, he saw his ideas on the scientific method and the advancement of learning as being compatible with Rosicrucian ideas, and his unfinished Utopian book, (New Atlantis, 1627) depicts a world ruled by Rosicrucians. In the 19th century, it was claimed that Bacon was the real author of some or all of the works of William Shakespeare, based on perceived correspondences between his philosophical ideas and the works of Shakespeare, and although generally rejected by academics, this claim still has some adherents; he was certainly the author of some dramatic scenes performed at the Grays Inn christmas festivities in 1594-95. In religion, he had some Puritan leanings, particularly as a young man, and his first published work was a tract opposing the anti-Puritan campaign in the Elizabethan church; later his view of religion became more conventional. His marriage, and earlier attempts to secure a bride, seem to have been dictated more by economic motives than by personal ones, and since there are several contemporary accusations, it is probable he was a homosexual. He was knighted at the coronation of King James I, 1603, and raised to the peerage as Baron of Verulam, 12 July 1618 and advanced to be Viscount St. Alban (sic), 27 January 1620/1. He married, 10 May 1606 at St. Marylebone (Middx), when she was fourteen, Alice (1592-1650), second daughter and co-heir of Benedict Barnham, alderman of London, but had no issue.
Until 1601 he lived chiefly at Grays Inn and he also had a small property at Twickenham (Middx). His father having died before settling an estate on Francis (as he had done on his other sons), he was poorly provided for until he inherited Gorhambury from his elder brother in 1601 and his mother released her life interest in the house to him. He restored Gorhambury, which had been much neglected, and built Verulam House and its garden in the grounds, 1618. He sold York House in 1622 (indirectly to the Duke of Buckingham).
He died at the Earl of Arundel's house in Highgate, of pneumonia (reputedly contracted after stopping en route from London in an unseasonable fall of snow to experiment whether snow would preserve the flesh of a newly-killed hen from putrefaction in the same manner as salt), 9 April 1626, when his peerages became extinct. He was buried at St Michael's church, St. Albans, where he is commemorated by a monument erected by Sir Thomas Meautys; administration of his goods was granted 18 July 1627, when it was found that he had assets of £7,000 but debts of £22,371. His widow married 2nd, 20 April 1626 (less than a month after his death; sep. 1639) at St Martin-in-the-Fields, her gentleman-usher, Sir John Underhill (d. 1679), kt.; she died 29 June, and was buried at Eyeworth (Beds), 9 July 1650, where she is commemorated by a monument.


Bacon family of Shrubland Hall



Bacon, Sir Edward (1548-1618). Youngest son of Sir Nicholas Bacon (1510-79) and his first wife, Jane (d. 1552), daughter of William Fernley of West Creeting (Suffk), born 1548. Educated at Westminster, Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1561), and Grays Inn (admitted 1565; ancient, 1576). A clerk in chancery, 1571; in the wake of a failed courtship he undertook a two-year continental journey, 1576-78 during which he reinforced his humanistic and radical protestant sympathies through studies in Strasbourg and Geneva. MP for Yarmouth, 1576; Tavistock, 1584; Weymouth & Melcombe Regis, 1586; JP for Berkshire, 1583-91 and Suffolk, 1592-1609; High Sheriff of Suffolk, 1600-01. He was knighted, 11 May 1603. A strong Puritan in religion. He married, 23 January 1580/81 at All Hallows, London Wall, London, Helen (1564-1646), daughter and heir of Thomas Little or Litton of Shrubland Hall, and had issue a very large family, said to have included thirteen sons, including:
(1) Edward Bacon (b. 1584), baptised at All Hallows, London Wall, London, 21 December 1584; probably died young;
(2) Nicholas Bacon (1589-1658) (q.v.);
(3) Nathaniel Bacon (1593-1660), baptised at Coddenham (Suffk), 12 December 1593; educated at Christ's College, Cambridge (matriculated 1606; BA 1611) and Grays Inn (admitted, 1611; called to bar, 1617; ancient, 1632; bencher, 1640; reader, 1641); lived for a time at Langham (Essex) and was JP for Essex; recorder of Bury St. Edmunds and of Ipswich, 1642-60; town clerk of Ipswich, 1651-60; a presbyterian and early opponent of Charles I; chairman of Cambridge Committee of Eastern Association, 1644; author of one of most influential tracts of the Civil War, An Historical Discourse of the Uniformity of the Government of England, 1647; MP for Cambridge University, 1645-48, 1649 and for Ipswich, 1654-60; Master of Requests, 1657; married 1st, Elizabeth (d. by c.1630), daughter of Robert Maidstone of Boxtead (Essex), and widow of Edward Glascocke of Horsley (Essex), but had no issue; married 2nd, c.1630, Susanna, daughter of John Holloway of Oxford and widow of Matthew Alefounder of Dedham (Essex), and had issue three sons and five daughters; died about 26 August and was buried at Barham, 1 September 1660;
(4) Francis Bacon (1600-63) [see below, Bacon family of Earlham Hall];
(5) Ann Bacon (d. 1659); married, 1617 at Coddenham, Philip Bedingfield (1587-1660) of Ditchingham and had issue eight sons and five daughters;
(6) Jane Bacon (b. 1591); married Francis Stoner of Stapleford Abbots (Essex);
(7) Philip Bacon (1590-1635) of Woolverstone;
(8) Lionel Bacon (c.1594-1678?); married Penelope (d. 1628), daughter of Anthony Mannock of Suffolk; perhaps the man of this name who was buried at Coddenham, 9 December 1678;
(9) Thomas Bacon (b. 1595??).
He inherited the manor of Bramfield from his father in 1579. He acquired Shrubland Hall (Suffk) in right of his wife by 1592 and settled there; he also owned the manor of Ingham (Suffk) and property near Chancery Lane and Fetter Lane in London, part of which he purchased from Anthony Wingfield. He leased Twickenham Park (Middx) from Queen Elizabeth from 1574-95.
He died 8 September and was buried at Barham (Suffk), 17 September 1618; his will was proved 20 November 1618. His widow died 24 July 1646.

Bacon, Nicholas (1589-1658) Eldest surviving son of Sir Edward Bacon (1548-1618) and his wife Helen, daughter and heiress of Thomas Little or Litton of Shrubland Hall (Suffk), born 1 February 1589. He married, 14 July 1612 at Bingham's Melcombe (Dorset), Martha (b. 1593), daughter of Sir Richard Bingham of Bingham's Melcombe, and had issue:
(1) Martha Bacon (1613-99), baptised 17 October 1613; married, 1651 (settlement 30 June), as his second wife, John Sicklemore MP (c.1612-70) of Ipswich and had issue two sons and three daughters; buried 20 April 1699;
(2) Jemima Bacon (1619-86), baptised at Dennington (Suffk), 19 March 1618/9; married, 15 October 1640 at Dennington (Suffk), Sir Edward Vaughan (d. 1658), kt. of Terracoyd and had issue two sons and three daughters; died 7 March 1685/6;
(3) Sir Nicholas Bacon (1623-87) (q.v.);
(4) Philip Bacon (d. 1666); naval officer; he joined King Charles II in exile in Flanders and became an officer in the Duke of York's troop; he was wounded at the Battle of Mardyck, 1658; after the Restoration he went as a volunteer on Sir John Lawson's first expedition to Algiers and was commissioned as a naval officer (Lt., 1661; Capt., 1664); fought in Battle of Lowestoft, 1665, and died from wounds received in the Four Days Fight, 1 June 1666; his body was brought home and buried at Coddenham, where he is commemorated by a monument;
(5) Richard Bacon (b. 1625), baptised at Dennington (Suffk), 15 September 1625;
(6) Frances Bacon (1626-28), baptised at Dennington (Suffk), 10 December 1626; died in infancy and was buried at Dennington, 23 September 1628.
He inherited Shrubland Hall and the Chancery Lane property from his father in 1618.
He was buried at Barham (Suffk), 19 December 1658.

Bacon, Sir Nicholas (1623-87), kt. Eldest son of Nicholas Bacon (1589-1658) and his wife Martha, baptised at Dennington (Suffk), 8 January 1623/4. Educated at Emmanuel College, Cambridge (admitted 1640) and Grays Inn (admitted 1647). JP (from 1658) and DL (by 1665) for Suffolk; MP for Ipswich, 1685-87. He was made a Knight of the Bath, 23 April 1661. He married, 10 September 1657 at Helmingham (Suffk), Bridget (1634-74), daughter of Sir Lionel Tollemache, 2nd bt., of Helmingham, and had issue:
(1) Nicholas Bacon (1658-97) (q.v.);
(2) Bridget Bacon (b. 1660), baptised at Barham, 24 January 1659/60; married 1st, 2 June 1678 at Barham, Sir John Barker (1655-96), 4th bt., and had issue one son and one daughter; married 2nd, 4 October 1698, John Ellis (b. c.1662), barrister-at-law;
(3) Mary Bacon (b. 1663), baptised at Barham, 3 December 1663; probably died young;
(4) Philip Bacon (1666-1735), born at Shrubland, 2 February 1665/6; educated at Woodbridge School, Peterhouse, Cambridge (matriculated 1683/4) and Lincolns Inn (admitted 1684); married 1st, 1689, his first cousin, Mary (1656-94), daughter of John Sicklemore MP of Ipswich, who died without issue, and 2nd, 1698, Susan Pie (fl. 1734), by whom he had two sons and one daughter; died 17 February 1734/5;
(5) Nathaniel Bacon (d. 1698?); apprenticed to Mr. Delau as an overseas merchant; perhaps the man of this name who was buried at Coddenham, 31 May 1698;
(6) Francis Bacon (fl. 1686);
(7) Anne Bacon (fl. 1686); unmarried in 1686;
(8) Elizabeth Bacon (d. 1674); died young and was buried at Coddenham, 4 June 1674;
(9) Edward Bacon; probably dead by 1686;
He inherited Shrubland Hall and the Chancery Lane property from his father in 1658, and bought four additional manors nearby in 1675.
He died 15 April 1687; his will was proved 26 May 1687. His wife was buried at Coddenham, 20 April 1674.

Bacon, Nicholas (1658-97). Elder son of Sir Nicholas Bacon (1623-87) and his wife Bridget, daughter of Sir Lionel Tollemache, 2nd bt., of Helmingham (Suffk), born 1658. He married, 28 October 1682 at St Paul, Covent Garden, London, Lady Catherine Montagu (1660-1757), fourth and youngest daughter of Edward Montagu of Hinchingbrooke (Hunts), 1st Earl of Sandwich, and had issue:
(1) Nicholas Bacon (1686-1767);
(2) Montague Bacon (1688-1749), baptised at Barham, 13 December 1688; educated at Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1704/5; MA 1734) and Middle Temple (admitted 1705); scholar and critic; perhaps curate of Newbold Verdun (Leics); rector of Newbold Verdun, 1743-49; suffered from insanity in his last years and was cared for at Chelsea (Middx), where he died 7 April 1749; buried at Coddenham, 19 April 1749.
He inherited Shrubland Hall and the Chancery Lane property from his father in 1687.
He was buried at Coddenham, 15 April 1697; his will was proved 10 May 1697. His widow married 2nd, Rev. Balthasar Gardemau (1656-1739), vicar of Coddenham, and died 17 January 1757.

Bacon, Nicholas (1686-1767). Son of Nicholas Bacon (1658-97) and his wife, Lady Catherine Montagu, daughter of Edward Montagu of Hinchingbrooke (Hunts), 1st Earl of Sandwich, born 24 May 1686. He married, 7 March 1710 at St Paul, Covent Garden, London, Dorothy (1688-1758), daughter of John Temple, and had issue:
(1) George Bacon (b. c.1714); educated at Monk Soham and Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1733; scholar, 1734; BA 1737; MA 1741); died before 1767;
(2) Rev. John Bacon (1715-88) (q.v.);
(3) Basil Bacon (1725-75) of Moor Park House, Farnham (Surrey); inherited Moor Park and Castle Cavan (Wicklow) from his aunt, 1770; had three illegitimate sons and one daughter by Mary Margaret (b. 1722), daughter of Sir Thomas de Veil and later wife of [forename unknown] Wright and [forename unknown] Williams of Westminster, widow; died 24 January and was buried at Farnham, 26 January 1775; will proved 3 February 1776;
(4) Rev. Nicholas Bacon (c.1732-95) (q.v.); 
(5) Catherine Bacon (d. 1771); died unmarried and was buried at Coddenham, 25 February 1771; will proved 27 March 1771;
(6) Sophia Bacon (d. 1776); died unmarried and was buried at Coddenham, 7 October 1776;
(7) Mary Bacon (c.1726-1802); married, 24 February 1784 at St James, Piccadilly, Westminster (Middx), as his first wife, Sir William Johnston (1760-1844), 7th bt, but had no issue.
He inherited Shrubland Hall and the Chancery Lane property from his father in 1697.
He died at Coddenham, 29 April 1767; his will was proved 11 May 1767. His wife died of smallpox in 1758.

Bacon, Rev. John (1715-88). Elder son of Nicholas Bacon of Shrubland Hall and his wife, born 1715. Educated at Trinity College, Cambridge (matriculated 1733; scholar 1734; BA 1736/7; MA 1741). Ordained deacon, 1738 and priest, 1739. Curate of Cuxwold (Lincs), 1738-39; rector of Barham (Suffk), 1739-59 and vicar of Coddenham (Suffk), 1740-68. He was unmarried and without issue.
He inherited Shrubland Hall and the Chancery Lane property from his father in 1767 and rebuilt the house at Shrubland to the designs of James Paine in 1770-72. In 1775 he inherited Castle Cavan (Wicklow) from his brother Basil. At his death his property passed to his brother Nicholas.
He died 12 January 1788; his will was proved 24 January 1788.

Bacon, Rev. Nicholas (1732-95). Youngest son of Nicholas Bacon (1686-1767) and his wife Dorothy, daughter of John Temple, born 1732. Educated at Dedham (Essex) and Emmanuel College, Cambridge (matriculated 1750; BA 1754; MA 1762). Ordained deacon, 1756 and priest, c.1759; curate of Harkstead (Suffk), 1756-59; rector of Barham (Suffk), 1759-96 and vicar of Coddenham, 1768-96, where he built a new vicarage in 1771. He married, 18 September 1780 at St Stephen, Ipswich (Suffk), Anna Maria (1750-83), daughter of John Browne of Ipswich, but had no issue.
He inherited Moor Park House, Farnham from his brother Basil, 1775, and Shrubland Hall and the Chancery Lane property from his brother John in 1788. He sold Shrubland Hall to Sir William Middleton of Crowfield in about 1789. At his death he left part of his property to his late wife's sister, Charlotte, wife of Rev. John Longe, the curate (and later vicar) of Coddenham and the Chancery Lane property to his distant kinsman, Sir Edmund Bacon, 8th/9th bt. of Raveningham Hall.
He died 26 August 1795 and was buried at Coddenham, where he is commemorated by a monument. His wife died 9 August 1783 and was also buried at Coddenham.


Bacon family of Earlham Hall



Bacon, Francis (1600-63). Fourth son of Sir Edward Bacon (1548-1618) and his wife Helen, daughter and heiress of Thomas Little or Litton of Shrubland Hall (Suffk), born 30 January 1600. Educated at Queens' College, Cambridge (matriculated 1617) and Grays Inn (admitted 1618; called to bar 1626; ancient, 1645; reader, 1662). He was active in the parliamentary cause during the Civil War; MP for Ipswich, 1646-48, 1649, 1654-60; recorder of Aldeburgh, 1647-60; Master of Requests, 1656-59; JP for Suffolk, 1640-63 and Middlesex, 1662-63. He married, 30 April 1633 at Grundisburgh (Suffk), Katherine (1612-60), daughter of Sir Thomas Wingfield of Letheringham (Suffk), and had issue (with two other sons who died in infancy):
(1) Anthony Bacon (d. 1637); buried at Barham, 7 March 1636/7;
(2) Philip Bacon (b. 1638), baptised at Coddenham, 20 December 1638;
(3) Francis Bacon (d. 1679) (q.v.);
(4) Nicholas Bacon (d. 1643?); probably the person of this name buried at Barham, 22 February 1643;
(5) Elizabeth Bacon;
(6) Katherine Bacon (b. 1650), baptised at St. Nicholas, Ipswich, 21 June 1650. 
He lived at Kensington (Middx).
He died 23 September and was buried in St Martin-in-the-Fields, 27 September 1663. His wife died at Kensington (Middx), 24 October 1660 and was buried at St Martin-in-the-Fields, Westminster, 26 October 1660.

Bacon, Francis (d. 1679). Eldest son and heir of Francis Bacon (1600-63) and his wife Katherine, daughter of Sir Thomas Wingfield of Letheringham (Suffk). Educated at Grays Inn (admitted 1656). He married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Waller of Earlham Hall, Norwich (Norfk), serjeant-at-law, and had issue:
(1) Elizabeth Bacon (1663-64), born 20 July 1663; died in infancy, 12 March 1663/4;
(2) An unnamed son (b. & d. 1664), born 9 November 1664 and died the same day;
(3) Francis Bacon (b. & d. 1666), born 24 March 1665/6; died in infancy, 10 August 1666;
(4) Mary Bacon (1667-69), born 5 February 1666/7; died young, 4 March 1668/9;
(5) Waller Bacon (c.1669-1734) (q.v.);
(6) Edmund Bacon (1671-77), born 21 November 1671; died young, 26 July 1677;
(7) Elizabeth Bacon (1673-78), born 24 July 1673; died young, 15 June 1678.
He inherited Earlham Hall in right of his wife in 1666.
He died 3 August 1679 and was buried at Earlham.

Bacon, Waller (1669?-1734). Only surviving son of Francis Bacon (d. 1679) of Earlham Hall and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Waller of Earlham Hall, serjeant-at-law, born about 1669. Educated at Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1686) and Grays Inn (admitted 1679; called to bar, 1693; bencher, 1709). MP for Norwich, 1705-10, 1715-34. Victualling Commissioner, 1714-17; commissary of musters and stores in Minorca, 1722-34. He married 1st, Mary (d. 1701), daughter of Richard Porter of Framlingham (Suffk) and 2nd, 1703 (settlement 28 August), Frances [surname unknown], and had issue (with other children of the first marriage who did not survive):
(1.1) Elizabeth Bacon (1695-96), baptised at Earlham, 24 January 1695/6; died young and was buried at Earlham, 31 March 1696;
(1.2) Richard Bacon (b. 1697), baptised at Earlham, 13 September 1697; died young and was buried at Earlham, 18 July 1699;
(1.3) Francis Bacon (b. 1698), baptised at Earlham, 11 September 1698; died young and was buried at Earlham, 9 February 1699/1700;
(2.1) Frances Bacon (b. 1704), baptised at Earlham, 6 November 1704; living in 1730;
(2.2) Francis Bacon (b. 1706), baptised at Earlham, 13 August 1706; died before 1730;
(2.3) Elizabeth Bacon (b. 1707), baptised at Earlham, 18 November 1707; living in 1730;
(2.4) twin, Edward Bacon (1712-86) (q.v.);
(2.5) twin, Nathaniel Bacon (b. 1712), baptised at Earlham, 11 December 1712; educated at Grays Inn (admitted 1730/1); 
(2.6) James Bacon (d. 1723); buried at Earlham, 9 January 1723/4.
He inherited Earlham Hall from his father in 1679.
He died 11 November and was buried at Earlham, 14 November 1734; will proved 10 December 1734. His first wife died 29 September 1701. His widow was buried at Earlham, 28 September 1766.

Bacon, Edward (1712-86). Only son of Waller Bacon (1669?-1734) and his second wife Frances [surname unknown], baptised at Earlham, 11 December 1712. Educated at Grays Inn (admitted 1731; called to bar 1738; bencher, 1755; treasurer, 1764). Whig MP for Kings Lynn, 1742-47; Callington, 1748-54; Newport, 1754-56 and Norwich, 1756-84. High Steward of Norwich, 1750; Recorder of Norwich, 1752-83. A Lord of the Board of Trade, 1759-65; Chairman of the House of Commons Committee of Privileges and Elections, 1758-70. He married, 4 September 1742, Elizabeth Knight (d. 1793) of Southampton, but had no issue.
He inherited Earlham Hall from his father in 1734. At his death the estate passed to a distant kinsman, Bacon Frank (d. 1812) of Campsall Hall (Yorks WR) and was let to the Gurneys, who held it for a century.
He died 12 March and was buried at Earlham, 28 March 1786. His widow was buried at Earlham, 24 May 1793.


Sources


Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 2003, pp. 209-11; J.C. Rogers, 'The manor and houses of Gorhambury', Transactions of St Albans & Hertfordshire Architectural and Archaeological Society, 1933, pp. 35-112; Ernest Sandeen, 'The building of Redgrave Hall, 1545 -1554', Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology, 1961, pp. 1-31; R. Tittler, Nicholas Bacon: the making of a Tudor statesman, 1976; M. Airs, 'The designing of five East Anglian country houses, 1505-1637', Architectural History, 1978, pp. 58-68; P. Leach, James Paine, 1988, pp. 33, 202, 209-10; Sir N. Pevsner & B. Wilson, The buildings of England: Norfolk - Norwich and North-East, 2nd edn., 1997, pp. 344-45, 675-77; T. Williamson, Suffolk's gardens and parks, 2000, pp. 22, 59-60, 81-82; H. Smith, 'Concept and compromise: Sir Nicholas Bacon and the building of Stiffkey Hall', in C. Harper-Bill, C. Rawcliffe & R.G. Wilson, East Anglia's History: studies in honour of Norman Scarfe, 2002, pp. 159-88; D. Clarke, The country houses of Norfolk: part 1 - The Major Houses, 2006, pp. 90-91; Diarmaid MacCulloch (ed), Letters from Redgrave Hall: The Bacon Family, 1340-1744, 2007; W.M. Roberts, Lost country houses of Suffolk, 2010, pp. 125-29; P. Dallas, R. Last & T. Williamson, Norfolk Gardens and Designed Landscapes, 2013, pp. 378-81; H.L. Meakin, The painted closet of Lady Anne Bacon Drury, 2013, esp. pp. 19-102; University of East Anglia, Ziggurat, 2014/15, pp. 23-26; J. Bettley & Sir N. Pevsner, The buildings of England: Suffolk - West, 2015, pp. 464-66; ODNB articles on Anne, Lady Bacon (d. 1610); Anthony Bacon (d. 1601); Sir Edmund Castell Bacon, 13th/14th bt.; Edward Bacon (1548-1618); Francis Bacon, Viscount St. Alban; Sir Nicholas Bacon (1510-79); Sir Nicholas Bacon (c.1543-1624);  http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/redgravehistory/redgravepark.htmhttps://parksandgardensuk.wordpress.com/2016/09/17/sir-nathaniel-bacon-his-kitchen-garden-and-his-cookmaid/http://hbsmrgateway2.esdm.co.uk/norfolk/DataFiles/Docs/AssocDoc35778.pdf.


Location of archives


Bacon family of Gillingham: deeds, estate and family papers, 12th-18th cents. [Norfolk Record Office, GIL]
Bacon family of Redgrave Hall, baronets: deeds, manorial records, estate and legal records and personal papers, c.1200-18th cent. [University of Chicago Library, Special Collections Research Centre, Bacon Collection]; deeds, manorial records, estate and family papers, 13th-19th cents. [British Library Add. Ch. 59797-61129, 62771-63594; Add. MSS. 25590, 39218-52, 40061-72]
Bacon family of Stiffkey (Norfk): deeds, manorial records, estate and family papers, 1286-1904 [Norfolk Record Office, Townshend Papers; MC1156; MC1872]; deeds, manorial records, estate and family papers, 13th-18th cents [Raynham Hall Archives]; deeds, correspondence and papers, 12th cent-1669 [British Library, Add MSS 63079-82, 63101, 63109; Add. Ch. 76153-76383]
Bacon family of Thonock Hall, baronets: deeds, estate and family papers, 1603-20th cent. [Lincolnshire Archives, BACON]
Bacon, Anthony (1558-1601): correspondence and papers, 1584-99 [Lambeth Palace Library, MSS 647-62; British Library Add MS. 4125]; commonplace book [Edinburgh University Library, Special Collections La III 193]
Bacon, Sir Edmund (1693-1738): legal papers, 18th cent. [Norfolk Record Office, MS33209]
Bacon, Sir Francis (1561-1626), 1st Viscount St. Alban: correspondence and papers [Francis Bacon Foundation Library, USA]; correspondence and papers [Lambeth Palace Library, MSS. 647-62, 936; British Library, Harleian MSS and Add. MSS 5751, 5756, 5843, 6729; Hertfordshire Archives & Local Studies, D/EV; London University, Senate House Library, MS 300]
Bacon, Sir Nathaniel (1547-1622): correspondence and papers, 16th-17th cents. [Raynham Hall Archives; Folger Shakespeare Library, MS. L.d.1-1036]; correspondence and papers, 1569-1669 [British Library, Add. MS. 41140, 41306, 41655, 63081]; accounts, 1576-1626 [Reading University Library]; misc. papers [Norfolk Record Office, BL]
Bacon, Sir Nicholas (1510-70), kt.: papers [University of Chicago Library, Special Collections Research Centre, Bacon Collection]


Coat of arms


Gules, on a chief argent, two mullets pierced sable.


Can you help?


Here are a few notes about information and images which would help to improve the account above. If you can help with any of these or with other additions or corrections, please use the contact form in the sidebar to get in touch. Can anyone provide:

  • Further information about the transmission of the Chancery Lane property in the 18th and 19th centuries?
  • Further information about the 20th century ownership of Stiffkey Old Hall or Gillingham Hall?
  • Additional genealogical information about the earlier generations of this family?
  • Additional portraits or photographs of the members of this family whose names appear in bold above?



Revision and acknowledgements


This post was first published 30 September 2017.