Monday, 31 October 2016

(237) Atkinson of Crow Hill

Joseph Atkinson (1760-1836) was the fifth son of a linen draper in Co. Armagh, who in 1791 married Sarah Hoope, the heiress of the Crow Hill estate near Loughgall. Joseph became a magistrate for Co. Armagh and as a result played a leading role in the so-called 'Battle of the Diamond' in 1795. He and his wife lived in the old Hoope family house at Crow Hill until 1824, when it was pulled down and a new house was built to the design of an architect called Brownlee or Brownlees. It seems possible that the initiative came from their son and heir, Thomas Atkinson (1793-1842), who was recently married and also lived at Crow Hill, since a house of almost identical design was erected in 1825-30 for a relative of his wife at Glenaul Park (alias Mullyloughan), Eglish (Armagh), presumably by the same architect.

Thomas left two sons: his heir, Joseph Atkinson (1822-1903) and a second son, James Hope Atkinson (1825-65), who first joined the army and then married the daughter of an English merchant in Turkey, before joining the growing Irish diaspora who sought a new life overseas; in his case, in New Zealand. Thomas died at the early age of 49 and Joseph therefore had to take responsibility for the estate as a very young man. He seems to have grown quickly into the role, helping to promote railway building in northern Ireland in the 1840s, and taking on the public offices expected of a landowner at the time. He acted as Foreman of the Co. Armagh Grand Jury for nearly fifty years and when it was replaced by Armagh County Council in 1899 he was unanimously elected Chairman of the new body for its first year.

Joseph and his wife Judith produced four sons and one daughter. The eldest son and heir, Joseph Atkinson (1845-1916) spent four years in the army before marrying and settling down on the estate. His next brother, James Johnston Atkinson (1847-1905) went to Trinity College, Dublin and there was perhaps thought of him joining the church, but this never happened and he lived at home until he died, unmarried, in 1905. The third son, Robert Richard Atkinson (1855-1932) leased the neighbouring estate of Summer Island and farmed there for many years, before retiring to Tunbridge Wells in Kent in the 1920s. The youngest boy, the imaginatively named Ynyr Henry Atkinson (1861-1943), emigrated to America in 1882, married an Irish-Canadian girl in Iowa four years later, and ended his days living with his son on a farm near Seattle in Washington (USA).

Joseph Atkinson (1845-1916) worked in harness with his father for many years, both on the estate and in public office, before he came into his inheritance in 1903. By his first wife he had three sons: two born in the 1870s and one in the 1890s; the youngest boy died in the First World War. The second son joined the merchant navy and had a career at sea before marrying the daughter of a local landowner and settling down to a farming life after 1913. After his first wife died in 1897 Joseph married again, and produced a further son - who emigrated to Southern Rhodesia - and a daughter. Joseph's heir was his eldest boy, Joseph Jervis Atkinson (1873-1951) who trained as an electrical engineer, fought with the Yeomanry in the Boer War, and then spent a decade working in India, where he married in 1907; he and his wife had two daughters after they returned to Britain in 1911. He managed the Crow Hill estate until his death in 1951, but by then his two daughters were married and living in England, and his widow sold the house to the father of the present owner and moved to Co. Down. 


Crow Hill, Loughgall, Co. Armagh


Crow Hill: the house of 1824-26.

A large and dignified L-shaped house of two storeys above a semi-basement, built in 1824-26 for Joseph Atkinson. The house has adjoining five and three-bay fronts of white-painted roughcast, with grey painted quoins to the angles and the pedimented one-bay breakfronts. The main entrance is approached by a broad flight of steps and has a wide tripartite doorcase. The original fanlight has sadly disappeared and its replacement is not worthy of the house, but there are photographs of the original design and it could be restored. Otherwise, the windows have their original Georgian sashes, which is nice to see in the land of uncontrolled uPVC. There is a hipped roof with slightly overhanging eaves but no cornice. 


Crow Hill, entrance front, with the original fanlight, from a photograph published in 1909.



Crow Hill: the side elevation from a photograph published in 1909.
According to a family account book 'April 10th 1824 the old house at Crow hill was commenced to be taken down and on May 10 the first stone was laid [of the new house]'. The same note identifies the architect as one 'Brownlee', who is probably to be identified with the H. Brownlees who worked at Ardress House nearby at much the same time; the clerk of works was Christy Nugent. Inside the main rooms are tall, airy and well-proportioned, with high quality mantelpieces, staircase, plasterwork and woodwork. There were originally two gate lodges contemporary with the house, but both have now been demolished.

Descent: Thomas Hoope (d. 1785); to daughter Sarah (d. 1819), later wife of Joseph Atkinson (1760-1836); to son, Capt. Thomas Atkinson (1793-1842); to son, Joseph Atkinson (1822-1903); to son, Joseph Atkinson (1845-1916); to son, Joseph Jervais Atkinson (1873-1951); sold in 1952 after his death.


Atkinson family of Crow Hill



Atkinson, Joseph (1760-1836). Fifth son of Robert Atkinson (1726-1806) of Money (Co. Armagh), linen draper, and his wife Mary, daughter of William Delap of Grange (Co. Tyrone), born 23 January 1760. JP for Co. Armagh. "A gentleman remarkable for his personal strength and courage", he was involved in the affray between Protestants and Catholics at The Diamond (Co. Armagh) in the summer of 1795 which led the following year to the foundation of the Orange Order, of which he was a founder member. He married, 1791 (licence 21 June), Sarah (d. 1819), daughter of Thomas Hoope of Crowhill, and had issue, including:
(1) Thomas Atkinson (1793-1842) (q.v.);
(2) Louisa Atkinson (c.1799-1831); died unmarried, 9 March 1831;
(3) Frances Maria Atkinson (c.1802-73); married, 6 February 1837, Rev. Henry Stewart (c.1796-1872) of Moy and had issue two sons; died 30 August 1873.
He acquired Crow Hill through his marriage and rebuilt the house in 1824.
He died 6 May 1836. His wife died 18 January 1819.

Atkinson, Capt. Thomas (1793-1842). Son of Joseph Atkinson (1760-1836) and his wife Sarah, daughter of Thomas Hoope of Crowhill, born 18 February 1793. Captain in the Armagh militia; High Sheriff of Co. Armagh, 1825. Treasurer of the Orange Order in Co. Armagh, 1835. He married, 13 March 1819 at Knappagh (Armagh), Elizabeth (1798-1873), fourth daughter of James Johnston of Knappagh, and had issue:
(1) Martha Atkinson (1820-31), born 20 November 1820; died young, 19 November 1831;
(2) Joseph Atkinson (1822-1903) (q.v.);
(3) Capt. James Hope Atkinson (1825-65), born 1825; Capt. in 72nd Highlanders; married, 28 April 1856, Elfrida Abbott of Smyrna (Turkey) and had issue two daughters; died 3 April 1865 and was buried at Barbadoes St. Cemetery, Christchurch, Canterbury (New Zealand).
He inherited Crowhill from his father in 1836.
He died 11 December 1842. His widow died 13 March 1873; administration of her goods was granted in Dublin, 24 December 1873 (effects under £2,000).

Atkinson, Joseph (1822-1903). Elder son of Capt. Thomas Atkinson (1793-1842) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of James Johnston of Knappagh (Armagh), born 5 October 1822. JP (from 1847) and DL for Co. Armagh; High Sheriff of Co. Armagh, 1855; Foreman of the Grand Jury for almost fifty years; first Chairman of Armagh County Council, 1899-1900. As a young man in the 1840s he was involved in the promotion of railways in northern Ireland. He married, 11 April 1844, Judith Charlotte (1821-1906), daughter of Richard Barnsley, and had issue:
(1) Joseph Atkinson (1845-1916) (q.v.);
(2) James Johnston Atkinson (1847-1905), born August 1847; educated at Trinity College, Dublin (BA); died unmarried, 2 January 1905; will proved 24 February 1905 (estate £3,187);
(3) Annie Johnston Atkinson (1851-1923), born May 1851; married, 11 April 1872 at Lurgan (Armagh), Richard James Harden DL (1846-1918) of Harrybrook (Armagh) and had issue three sons and one daughter; died 31 July 1923;
(4) Robert Richard Atkinson (1855-1932), born 17 August 1855; JP;  leased Summer Island, Loughgall; married 1st, 31 July 1902, Mary Frances Josephine (1867-1928), only daughter of Henry J. Nicholson JP of Crannagael (Armagh) and had issue two sons and one daughter; married 2nd, Oct-Dec 1930, Florence Mabel (1889-1938), apparently the daughter of James A. Clift, commercial traveller (although she later claimed her father had been a clergyman and rector of Churchill (Worcs)), and widow of Rev. Ernest John Whittall (1870-1925); died in Tunbridge Wells (Kent), 2 January 1932; will proved 27 February 1932 (estate in England £11,648) and sealed in Belfast, 19 April 1932 (effects in Northern Ireland £99);
(5) Ynyr Henry Atkinson (1861-1943), born 4 April 1861; emigrated to USA, 1882; married, 1886 in Iowa (USA), Rose A. (1863-1929), daughter of Edward McGolderick and had issue one son and one daughter; died in Seattle, Washington (USA), 24 January 1943.
He inherited Crowhill from his father in 1842 and came of age the following year.
He died 10 October 1903; his will was proved at Dublin, 23 December 1903 (estate £14,414). His widow died 4 August 1906; her will was proved 8 January 1907 (estate £922).

Atkinson, Joseph (1845-1916). Eldest son of Joseph Atkinson (1822-1903) and his wife Judith Charlotte, daughter of Richard Barnsley, born 4 July 1845. An officer in the 67th Regiment, 1867-71 (Ensign, 1867; Lt., 1869); JP for Co. Armagh; Secretary to Armagh County Council, 1899-1903. He married 1st, 18 April 1871 at Christ Church, Kensington (Middx), Annie Edith (1851-97), daughter of John Jervis Broadwood of Buchan Hill (Sussex) and 2nd, 2 June 1898, Kathleen Mary (d. 1941), fourth daughter of Henry Blake Mahon of Belleville (Galway), and had issue:
(1.1) Joseph Jervis Atkinson (1873-1951) (q.v.);
(1.2) Walter Hope Johnston Atkinson (b. 1875) of Rush Hall, Limavady (Derry), born 17 March 1875; a seaman in the merchant navy (second mate, 1896; first mate, 1899); married, September 1913 at Christ Church, Limavady, Elizabeth Mary (d. 1964), daughter of B.H. Lane of Rush Hall; 
(1.3) John Broadwood Atkinson (1894-1915), born 1 October 1894; educated at Oundle; an officer in the 5th Battn, Royal Irish Fusiliers (2nd Lt., 1914; Capt., 1915); wounded at Gallipoli and died of enteric fever, 24 December 1915; buried at Chatby War Cemetery, Alexandria (Egypt);
(2.1) Judith Mary Atkinson (1900-69), born 6 February 1900; married, 16 April 1925, Surgeon-Capt. Arthur Campbell Vaughan Green (1889-1969), RN, and had issue two sons; died 6 August 1969; will proved 24 November 1969 (estate £46,971);
(2.2) Bryan St. John Mahon Atkinson (1903-62), born 24 June 1903; farmer and mine owner in Southern Rhodesia; married, 12 January 1939, Eleanor Margaret (1904-84), second daughter of William Henry Gregory Eyre, and had issue one son and two daughters; died in London, 31 August 1962; administration of goods with will annexed granted 15 February 1963 (effects in England, £520).
He inherited Crowhill from his father in 1903.
He died 17 September 1916; his will was proved in Armagh, 8 November 1916 (effects in Ireland, £18,825) and sealed in London, 28 November 1916 (estate in England, £13,675). His first wife died 27 May 1897; administration of her goods was granted in Dublin, 28 June 1898 (effects in Ireland, £661) and sealed in London, 30 August 1898 (effects in England, £397). His widow died 16 April 1941; her will was proved 1 September 1941 (effects in England, £3,565) and sealed in Belfast, 1 September 1946 (effects in Northern Ireland, £407).

Atkinson, Joseph Jervis (1873-1951). Eldest son of Joseph Atkinson (1845-1916) and his first wife, Annie Edith, daughter of John Jervis Broadwood of Buchan Hill (Sussex), born 25 April 1873. Educated at Wolverhampton Grammar School. He served in the South African War as a non-commissioned officer with the Imperial Yeomanry (Paget's Horse), 1899-1901 and worked in India and later in England as an electrical engineer, 1902-12. JP and DL for Co. Armagh. He married 1st, 5 November 1907 at Darjeeling, Bengal (India), Beatrix Pearl (1884-1927), only daughter of Edwin John Webb, and 2nd, 5 December 1928, Gladys Gwendoline (1886-1965), daughter of James Tucker of Whitchurch (Glam.), corn merchant, and widow of William Lewis Watkins Howard (1863-1920), and had issue:
(1.1) Nathalie Joan Atkinson (1911-2003), born 7 October 1911 and baptised at Pyrford (Surrey), 17 February 1912; married, 8 December 1943, Robert Gerald Darby (1914-2002) and had issue one son; died in Brighton, 12 November 2003 aged 92; will proved 2 January 2004;
(1.2) Cicely Edith Atkinson (1918-2016), born in Dublin, 20 February 1918; married, 22 March 1947, Geoffrey Ernest Spence (1921-2012), son of Ernest William Spence of Brighton (Sussex), and had issue one son; died in Brighton, 3 May 2016.
He inherited Crowhill from his father; it was sold in 1952 after his death. His widow lived subsequently at Roshnara, Annalong (Co. Down).
He died 12 May 1951; his will was proved in Belfast, 8 July 1952 (estate in Northern Ireland £7,654) and in London, 26 July 1952 (estate in England, £15,789). His first wife died 3 January 1927; her will was proved in Belfast, 3 May 1927 (effects £246). His widow died at Hayes (Kent), 5 June 1965; her will was proved 22 July 1965 (estate £13,512).



Sources


Burke's Landed Gentry, 1958, p. 38-39; C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of County Armagh, 1999, pp. 170-71; K.V. Mulligan, The buildings of Ireland: South Ulster, 2013, pp. 81, 326.


Location of archives


Atkinson family of Crowhill: deeds and estate papers, 1778-1920 [Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, D1815]


Coat of arms


None recorded.


Can you help?


Here are a few notes about information and images which would help to improve the account above. If you can help with any of these or with other additions or corrections, please use the contact form in the sidebar to get in touch.
  • Can anyone provide information about the ownership of Crow Hill since it was sold in 1952?


Revision and acknowledgements


This post was first published 31st October 2016.

Thursday, 27 October 2016

(236) Atkinson of Cavangarden

The Atkinson family owned an estate in Co. Donegal from 1613, when William Atkinson (c.1580-c.1660) was granted several townlands to the north-east of Ballyshannon. They made their main residence at Creevy, but their house there was burned down in 1690 by supporters of King James II when Thomas Atkinson (c.1624-1702) and his son Thomas (1655-1738) were attainted by the Irish parliament for their support of William of Orange. The majority of their property was restored to the family in 1698, with the notable exception of Creevy, and they built a new house at Cavangarden, which remained the family's seat until the 20th century.

As so often with Irish gentry families, the genealogy of the earlier generations is fairly obscure due to the lack of surviving parish records or estate archives. The descent of the property is, however, fairly clear: it passed from Thomas Atkinson (d. 1738) to his elder son, John Atkinson (1682-1748), and then to John's son, Thomas Atkinson (1713-83). Thomas's son, John Atkinson (1754-1833) seems to have been the first of the family to be a JP, and was probably responsible for building the present house at Cavangarden, even though the date traditionally given for it is a couple of years earlier than the date of his inheritance. 

The next owner was the exceptionally long-lived Thomas John Atkinson (1781-1881), who died just a few months short of his 100th birthday. He was the first of the family to receive a University education, and was also the first to serve office as High Sheriff. Although he was normally resident on his estate, he shared in the opprobrium heaped on absentee landlords because he rack-rented his tenanted farms and was robust in his dealings with tenants who defaulted. He outlived his son and heir and so in 1881 the estate passed to his grandson, Thomas John Atkinson (1845-1921), who was High Sheriff in 1893. Perhaps because his grandfather had made the family so unpopular locally that he was concerned for his personal safety, he chose to live near Dublin, and only visited Co. Donegal occasionally. His son, Thomas John Day Atkinson (1882-1949), who was a barrister, was seriously wounded in the First World War and thereafter undertook legal work for the general staff, including the representation of prisoners at courts martial. After the war he worked for the Irish Charity Commission until 1922, when he was attacked and shot in his home by republican paramilitaries. He then prudently moved to England where he took up a post in London for the rest of his working life. His three spinster sisters lived at Cavangarden until the last of them died in 1966, after which the family sold the estate, ending the family's 350-year association with Co. Donegal.


Cavangarden House, Ballyshannon, Donegal


Cavangarden House


Across the more remote parts of Ireland, a three bay house like this, of two storeys above a basement, could be the centre of a substantial estate and the residence of a country gentleman when in the home counties it would be a modest vicarage or village house. Cavangarden was largely rebuilt about 1781, probably for John Atkinson (1754-1833), and originally had a full-height canted bay in the centre to provide central emphasis; a form that was common in nearby County Fermanagh. The current square porch with its unusual paired oversized primitive order columns and balustraded parapet, which stands in front of the canted bay, would seem to be an early 19th century addition. 

At the rear are two and three-storey return wings and later extensions. The walls are pebble-dashed except for the pilaster strips at the angles, the central canted bay, and the basement, which are smooth rendered. The square-headed window openings have smooth rendered reveals and painted sills. Unfortunately the slate roof has been replaced with artificial slates and there are horrid stained timber replacement windows. The house is set well back from the road in extensive mature grounds and there is a long avenue to the south with a bridge across the Two Mile Water river near the road. The gable end of some farm buildings near the house has been decorated to look like a Gothic chapel.

Descent: Crown granted 1613 to William Atkinson (c.1580-c.1660); to son, Thomas Atkinson (c.1624-1702); to son, Thomas Atkinson (1655-1738); to son, Thomas Atkinson (1713-83); to son, John Atkinson (1754-1833); to son, Thomas John Atkinson (1781-1881); to grandson, Thomas John Atkinson (1845-1921); to son, Thomas John Day Atkinson (1882-1949); to widow Cicely Helen Burrington Atkinson (1898-1981), who sold 1967... to the McCaffrey family.

Atkinson family of Creevy and Cavangarden


Atkinson, Capt. Charles (fl. c.1600). Reputedly the son of Sir Thomas Atkinson, kt., of Yorkshire, born c.1550. He was a Captain in the Army and settled in Ireland c.1575. He married and had issue:
(1) William Atkinson (d. c.1660) (q.v.);
(2) Andrew Atkinson; married Jean, daughter of Ambrose Crean of Sligo and had issue, from whom descended the Atkinsons of Rehins (Co. Mayo).
His date of death is unknown.

Atkinson, William (c.1580-c.1660), of Creevy. Elder son of Capt. Charles Atkinson (fl. c.1600) and his wife, born c.1580. Named as a burgess in the charter creating the borough of Ballyshannon, 1613. He married a Miss O'Cleary and had issue:
(1) Thomas Atkinson (c.1624-1702) (q.v.);
(2) John Atkinson;
(3) Robert Atkinson;
(4) William Atkinson.
He received a grant of land in Kilbarron in 1613 comprising the townlands of Creevy, Tullyhurk, The Cloghan, Ardpatten, Ardgillow, Cavangarden and Laheen.
He died about 1660.

Atkinson, Thomas (c.1624-1702), of Creevy. Eldest son of William Atkinson (d. c.1660) and his wife, born about 1624. Attainted by the Irish Parliament, 1689. He married and had issue:
(1) Thomas Atkinson (1655-1738) (q.v.).
He inherited the Creevy estate from his father in c.1660. In consequence of his attainder he was obliged to leave his estates and his house at Creevy was burnt in 1690; most of the estates except Creevy were restored to him in 1698, and he or his son made a new home at Cavangarden.
He died in 1702.

Atkinson, Thomas (1655-1738), of Cavangarden. Only recorded son of Thomas Atkinson (c.1624-c.1702) and his wife, born 1655. Attainted by the Irish Parliament, 1689 along with his father. He married Eleanor [surname unknown] and had issue:
(1) John Atkinson (1682-1748) (q.v.);
(2) A daughter; married Col. Francis Reynolds (fl. 1753) of The Mullins;
(3) Thomas Atkinson (1698?-1768); married, 1727 in Dublin, Elizabeth Howard and had issue; died 11 May 1768 and was buried at Ballyshannon.
He inherited the Cavangarden estate from his father in 1702.
He died in 1738. His wife's date of death is unknown.

Atkinson, John (1682-1748). Elder son of Thomas Atkinson (1655-1738) and his wife, born 1682. He married, 1710/11, Rebecca, daughter of William Wray of Ards (Donegal) and had issue:
(1) Thomas Atkinson (1713-83) (q.v.);
(2) William Atkinson (fl. 1753); mentioned in leases of land at Ardgillon, Ballyshannon, 1748-53;
He inherited the Cavangarden estate from his father in 1738.
He died in 1748. His wife's date of death is unknown.

Atkinson, Thomas (1713-83). Elder son of John Atkinson (1682-1748) and his wife Rebecca, daughter of William Wray of Ards (Donegal), born 1713. He married, 16 November 1752, Letitia (d. 1812?), daughter of George Knox of Rathmullen and Moneymore (Donegal), and had issue:
(1) John Atkinson (1754-1833) (q.v.);
(2) Rebecca Atkinson (1755-68); died 17 January 1768 and was buried at Ballyshannon;
(3) George Atkinson; married Anne Greenfield;
(4) James Atkinson; married [forename unknown], daughter of William Wray of Ards;
(5) Andrew Atkinson (1762-1825), born 22 January 1762; an officer of 33rd Foot, c.1780; eloped with and married, 4 July 1780 at Edinburgh, Jean (1764-1836), daughter of Sir Archibald Murray, 7th bt., and had issue three sons and four daughters; emigrated to America, 1785, where he established an indigo plantation that he called Prehen in the Spanish colony of East Florida; when East Florida was invaded by American 'Patriot' soldiers in 1813 he was made a captain in the Spanish army and placed in charge of the defence of the colony's frontier, but was overrun, and his plantation was destroyed and one of his sons killed; he later moved to Philadelphia where he died 8 November 1825 and was buried in the Trinity Churchyard; in 1911 it was proposed to remove his remains to the Washington D.C. Cemetery;
(6) Angel Atkinson (d. 1806); married, c.1783, as his second wife, Rev. Andrew Greenfield (1749-88), rector of Moira (Down) and poet, son of Capt. John Greenfield of Dalkeith (Midlothian), and had issue two daughters; died at Hillsborough (Down), February 1806; her will was proved in 1807.
He inherited the Cavangarden estate from his father in 1748.
He died 11 May 1783 and his will was proved the same year. His widow may be Letitia Atkinson who died in Aungier St., Dublin and whose will was proved in 1812.

Atkinson, John (1754-1833). Eldest son of Thomas Atkinson (1713-83) and his wife Letitia, daughter of George Knox of Rathmullen and Moneymore (Donegal), born 1754. JP for Co. Donegal. He married, 20 March 1776 in Dublin, Elizabeth (c.1749-1807), daughter of Andrew Hamilton of Ballymadonnell (Donegal), and had issue:
(1) Thomas John Atkinson (1781-1881) (q.v.);
(2) Mary Atkinson (b. c.1784?); married [forename unknown] Young;
(3) Rebecca Atkinson (b. 1787), born 14 January and baptised at Ballyshannon, 17 February 1787; married Andrew McIntyre (c.1767-1846); buried at Ballyshannon;
(4) Anne Atkinson (b. 1788), born 29 July and baptised at Ballyshannon, September 1788; married, 19 January 1822 at Ballyshannon, Thomas Jones (fl. 1835) of Ardnaree (Mayo) and had issue one son and three daughters;
(5) George Atkinson (1791-1857), born 16 October and baptised at Ballyshannon, 13 November 1791; married his cousin, Charlotte, daughter of Rev. Andrew Greenfield and Angel Atkinson, and widow of William Herdman; died 5 February 1857.
He inherited the Cavangarden estate from his father in  1783, and was probably responsible for building a new house there, reputedly a few years earlier, in 1781.
He died, 'after a long and painful illness', 19 May 1833 and was buried at Ballyshannon. His wife died 16 November 1807 and was buried at Ballyshannon.

Atkinson, Thomas John (1781-1881). Elder son of John Atkinson (1754-1833) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Andrew Hamilton of Ballymadonnell (Donegal), born May 1781. Educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1797; BA 1802). JP for Co. Donegal; High Sheriff of Co. Donegal, 1817. He had the reputation of being a tyrannical and exploitative landlord, although he was resident on his estates (except for the years 1834-38, when he lived in Dublin). He married, 1808, Elizabeth (c.1787-1860), daughter of Joseph White of Cheltenham (Glos), and had issue:
(1) Catherine Atkinson (1812-34), born 22 June 1812 and baptised at Ballyshannon; died unmarried at Liverpool, 11 July 1834;
(2) twin, Elizabeth Atkinson (1815-35), born 22 February 1815 and baptised at Ballyshannon; second daughter; married, 30 July 1835 at St Mary, Dublin, George Young of Darien, Georgia (USA); died without issue at 'Nassau, Georgia' (probably Nassau, Florida (USA)), 4 December 1835;
(3) twin, Letitia Atkinson (1815-92), born 22 February 1815; died unmarried, 19 June 1892 and was buried at Ballyshannon, 21 June 1892;
(4) John Atkinson (1816-79) (q.v.);
(5) Thomas Joseph Atkinson (1818-86), baptised at Ballyshannon, 8 October 1818; educated at Kings Inn, Dublin (admitted 1835); solicitor in Ballyshannon in the 1840s; Paymaster of East Kent regiment of militia, 1855-59 and later of 21st Foot, 1859-68 and 27th Foot, 1868-73, with honorary rank of Capt.; retired 1873; married, 7 April 1859 at St Peter, Dublin, Hester Jane (1841-69), daughter of Henry Francis Cullen of Rockwood (Leitrim), and had issue; died at Streatham (Surrey), 7 May 1886; will proved 8 July 1886 (effects in Ireland £6,052) and 24 July 1886 (effects in England £1,661);
(6) Charlotte Anne Atkinson (1820-96), baptised 17 April 1820; youngest daughter, married, 30 June 1853 at Ballyshannon, John Hutchinson Keogh (c.1829-86), son of William Keogh of Rockfield (Co. Dublin); died 22 December 1896 and was buried at Mount Jerome Cemetery, Dublin;
(7) George Atkinson (b. 1822), baptised at Ballyshannon, 3 September 1822; perhaps the man of this name who married, 1843 at Magheralin (Down), Anne Jordan;
(8) Joseph Atkinson (b. 1824), baptised 4 August 1824; perhaps died young;
(9) Rev. James Atkinson (1829-54), baptised at Ballyshannon, 3 April 1829; educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1845; BA 1850); ordained deacon, 1852 and priest, 1853; curate of Camus-juxta-Mourne (Derry), 1853-54; died of bronchitis, 2 March 1854 and was buried at Ballyshannon, 11 March 1854.
He inherited the Cavangarden estate from his father in 1833.
He died 25 March 1881, aged 99, and was buried at Ballyshannon, 30 March 1881; his will was proved 21 May 1881 (effects under £1,500). His wife died 23 May and was buried at Ballyshannon, 26 May 1860.

Atkinson, John (1816-79). Eldest son of Thomas John Atkinson (1781-1881) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph White of Cheltenham (Glos), born 14 December 1816. Educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1834; BA 1838; MA 1841) and Kings Inn, Dublin (admitted 1837; called to bar, 1840). Barrister-at-law. JP for Co. Donegal from 1861. He married, 15 April 1842 at St George, Dublin, Ellen (1823-1900), daughter of Robert Dean Mecredy QC of Carnew House (Down), and had issue:
(1) Thomas John Atkinson (1845-1921) (q.v.);
(2) Elizabeth Charlotte Jane Atkinson (1848-1911), born in Dublin, 14 November 1848; married Thomas James Jamison (1846-97) and had issue three sons and two daughters; emigrated to America, c.1868; died in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (USA), 9 October 1911;
(3) John Robert Atkinson (1849-65); died unmarried, October 1865;
(4) Ellen Theodosia Adelaide Atkinson (b. 1853); married, 20 May 1874 at Ballintra, Robert Mecredy (c.1830-87), solicitor, son of Robert Mecredy of Dublin, solicitor, and had issue two sons and two daughters;
(5) George Andrew Atkinson (1854-1927) of Skea Hall, Enniskillen (Fermanagh), born 29 April 1854; solicitor; coroner for North Fermanagh; married 22 March 1880 at Ballyshannon, Anna Marion Elizabeth (b. 1853), only daughter of Henry Berkley Gerahty, barrister-at-law, and had issue five sons and six daughters; died March 1927;
(6) James Law Atkinson (1856-97), born 24 April and baptised at Ballyshannon, 29 June 1856; Doctor of Medicine; married, 16 September 1889 at Ballyshannon, Margaret Rosaline (k/a Madge) (c.1865-98), daughter of W.C. Rogers of Ballyshannon, but had no issue; died 17 March 1897 and was buried at Ballyshannon, 19 March 1897; will proved 14 June 1897 (effects £144);
(7) William White Atkinson (1863-1900), born 11 February and baptised at Ballyshannon, 28 June 1863; died unmarried, 12 November 1900; will proved 9 March 1901 (effects £153);
(8) Andrew Hamilton Atkinson (1865-99), born 23 April and baptised at Ballyshannon, 25 June 1865; seriously assaulted on the public highway in Co. Donegal, for which he sought £1,000 damages, 1893; died unmarried, 11 March 1899 and was buried at Ballyshannon, 14 March 1899; will proved 11 April 1899 (effects £689).
He died in the lifetime of his father, 26 May 1879 and was buried at Ballyshannon; administration of his goods was granted 9 September 1879 (effects under £800). His widow died 12 May 1900 and was buried at Ballyshannon.

Atkinson, Thomas John (1845-1921). Eldest son of John Atkinson (1816-79) and his wife Ellen, daughter of Robert Dean Mecredy QC of Carnew (Down), born 14 February 1845. JP and DL (from 1891) for Co. Donegal; High Sheriff of Co. Donegal, 1893. He married, 20 April 1880 at Rathfarnham (Dublin), Elizabeth (1856-1938), daughter of Arthur Magee Day of Rathgar (Dublin), and had issue:
(1) Thomas John Day Atkinson (1882-1949) (q.v.);
(2) Charlotte Elizabeth Atkinson (1884-1964); lived at Cavangarden; died unmarried, 27 February 1964; President of County Donegal Historical Society, 1955; will proved 10 January 1966 (estate in England, £4,235) and 11 July 1966 (estate in Ireland, £17,684);
(3) Elizabeth Arthurina Atkinson (1886-1967); lived at Cavangarden; died unmarried, 7 November 1967; will proved 2 October 1968 (estate in England £8,441) and 11 November 1968 (estate in Northern Ireland, £251);
(4) Mabel Angel Wray Atkinson (1888-1911), born Jan-Mar 1888; died unmarried, 15 April 1911; administration of her goods granted to her father, 10 June 1911 (effects £45);
(5) Arthurina Josephine Atkinson (1891-1949); lived at Cavangarden; died unmarried, 16 April 1949; administration (with will annexed) of her goods granted to her sisters, 22 November 1949 (effects in England £3,753) and 22 December 1950 (effects in Northern Ireland £1,795).
Before his marriage, he also had an illegitimate daughter by Eliza Robinson of Garvanagh, servant:
(X1) Eliza Ann Atkinson (b. 1874), born 13 September and baptised at Ballyshannon, 30 September 1874.
He inherited the Cavangarden estate from his grandfather in 1881, but lived chiefly at Rathmines (Co. Dublin).
He died 5 August 1921 and was buried at Ballyshannon. His wife died 22 June 1938 and was buried in Mullinshea Cemetery; her will was proved 21 June 1939 (estate in Ireland, £1,848) and 1 September 1939 (estate in England, £628).

Atkinson, Thomas John Day (1882-1949). Only recorded son of Thomas John Atkinson (1845-1921) and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Arthur Magee Day of Rathgar (Dublin), born at Rathgar, 4 March 1882. Educated at Trinity College, Dublin (BA) and Kings Inns (admitted 1902; called to bar, 1904). Barrister-at-law (KC 1924); Secretary to the Irish Charity Commissioners, 1919-21; Registrar of the Railway Rates Tribunal, 1922-40 and engaged to conduct various inquiries on behalf of the Ministry of Transport and Ministry of Health in the 1930s; co-author of The law of carriage by railway, 1928. Before the First World War he also acted as a land agent and was a keen amateur cyclist. He was an officer in the Dublin University contingent of the Officers Training Corps (2nd Lt., 1910) and served in the First World War with 5th Battn, Royal Irish Fusiliers (Lt.) and 31st Infantry Brigade (Capt.); he was wounded in action in the Dardenelles, 16 August 1915 and transferred to the general staff. He was awarded the OBE, 1919. In 1922, he and his wife claimed compensation from the Irish Grants Committee for a violent assault by paramilitaries in 1921 in which he was shot in the hand, and from 1923 onwards he lived at Caterham (Surrey) and later at Paignton. JP (from 1905) and DL (from 1921) for Co. Donegal. He married, Jul-Sept 1918, Cicely Helen Burrington Hawkshaw JP (1898-1981), daughter of Cdr. Hugh Burrington Hawkshaw, and had issue:
(1) Angela Cicely Atkinson (1919-38), born Oct-Dec. 1919; died aged 18 and was buried at Caterham, 15 September 1938;
(2) John Hawkshaw Atkinson (1928-31), born Oct-Dec. 1928; died aged 2 and was buried at Caterham, 19 June 1931;
(3) Elizabeth Gillian Hawkshaw Atkinson (1935-2014), born Jan-Mar 1935; married and had issue two children; died 3 November 2014.
He inherited the Cavangarden estate from his father in  1921 but lived at Caterham (Surrey) from 1923. His heirs sold the Cavangarden estate in 1967, after the death of his sisters who lived there.
He died at Paignton (Devon), 11 December 1949; his will was proved 9 March 1950 (estate £9,950). His widow died 10 November 1981.



Sources


Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland, 1912, p. 18; A. Rowan, The buildings of Ireland: North-West Ulster, 1979, p. 130; M. Moulton, Ireland and the Irish in inter-war England, 2014, p. 212;
https://atkinsonofcavangarden.wordpress.com/atkinson-of-cavan-garden-base-family-tree/;


Location of archives


No significant accumulation is known to survive.


Coat of arms


None recorded.


Can you help?


Here are a few notes about information and images which would help to improve the account above. If you can help with any of these or with other additions or corrections, please use the contact form in the sidebar to get in touch.
  • Can anyone provide additional or more accurate information from deeds or other sources about the earlier generations of the Atkinson family?
  • Can anyone provide portraits or photographs of members of the family whose names appear in bold above?


Revision and acknowledgements


This post was first published 27 October 2016 and updated 15 December 2016.

Sunday, 23 October 2016

(235) Atkinson of Cangort and Ashley Park

Atkinson of Cangort
Anthony Atkinson (d. 1626) was a junior officer in the army who received a grant of lands in Co. Offaly and built a fortified residence known as Cangort Castle. During the Civil War the castle was garrisoned for the king but captured by Cromwellian troops and slighted. Anthony Atkinson (1630-63) recovered the estate at the Restoration and a new house was built adjoining the castle ruins. Information about the family is very sketchy before the time of a third Anthony Atkinson (c.1680-1743), who trained as a barrister and was an MP in the Irish parliament between 1711 and 1714. He married Mary Guy, the daughter of Admiral John Guy, whose chief claim to fame was breaking the boom across the River Foyle to relieve the Siege of Derry. Anthony Atkinson's eldest son having predeceased him, the estate passed on his death to his second son, the Rev. Guy Atkinson (c.1712-1804), who was vicar of Trim (Meath) and later rector of Aghoghill (Antrim). He seems to have lived chiefly in or close to the parishes which he served, and it may be that his eldest son by his first marriage Anthony Atkinson (1748-90) managed the estates until his death. The eldest son of Guy's second marriage, Jackson Wray Atkinson (1766-1846), certainly did so later, and was High Sheriff of Offaly in 1803. 

After many years living on his estates and serving as commander of the county militia, Jackson seems to have moved to France in old age, where in 1841 he took a French woman as his second wife. His son and heir, Guy Atkinson (1800-59) was also on the continent at this time, as his first two children were born in Rome and Geneva, but he had taken over the management of the Cangort estate by 1846, when he was High Sheriff and succeeded his father. He died fairly young, and his heir, Guy Newcomen Atkinson (1847-90) did not come of age until 1868. It was probably soon afterwards that he remodelled Cangort House, perhaps assisted by the accumulating revenues during his minority, which coincided with a brief period of agricultural prosperity in Ireland. At his death in 1890, G.N. Atkinson left an heir who was only eight years old. Perhaps because he was a career soldier and a bachelor, Guy Montague Atkinson (1882-1956) decided to sell the Cangort estate to his uncle, William Henry Atkinson (1848-1930). He left Cangort to his eldest surviving son, Guy Hamilton Atkinson (1881-1932), but Guy died shortly afterwards and it passed to his only son, Anthony Guy Atkinson (1909-85), who had just embarked on a career in the Royal Artillery. In 1957 Major Atkinson sold Cangort House while retaining the majority of the estate. In 1970 he inherited the Loughton House estate at Moneygall (Offaly) from his Trench relatives, but he made this over to his son, Guy Nevill Atkinson (b. 1950). He sold Loughton House in 2001.

Charles Atkinson (c.1720-79), one of the younger sons of Anthony Atkinson (c.1680-1743), seems to have farmed part of the Cangort estate. His eldest son, Anthony Atkinson (1752-1815), moved south and leased South Park, Ballingarry (Tipperary) from the Trench family. His younger son, George Guy Atkinson (1799-1872), bought Ashley Park at Nenagh (Tipperary) in 1824 and probably built the present house soon afterwards. In 1872 it descended to his youngest son, James Netterville Atkinson (1843-93), who in the 1870s owned 2,000 acres in Tipperary and nearly 1,000 acres in Galway. He extended the house in 1883, but died without any sons, so that the house passed to his eldest daughter, Alice Marjorie Atkinson (1882-1919). In 1903 she came of age and married Thomas Bateson Biggs (1878-1945), who took the name Biggs-Atkinson, but they had no children. After she died, Biggs-Atkinson married again, and he left the estate to his second wife, who lived there until 1963. Since they had had no children either, Mrs Biggs-Atkinson left the estate to a niece in South Africa, Zelie Biggs, who rarely visited. The house was not surprisingly in poor condition by the time she sold it in 1983 to Sean Mounsey, who restored it and converted it into an hotel.


Cangort House, Shinrone, Offaly


Cangort Castle, the original residence of the Atkinson family, was destroyed by Cromwellian forces in the 17th century after being garrisoned for the king. The family returned at the Restoration and built a house to the right of the castle, which was later altered several times. One Georgian elevation survives at the rear, with round-headed windows, and is said to conceal two very small rooms which were once part of the castle. 


Cangort House: a Georgian and earlier house remodelled c.1870.
Image: National Inventory of Architectural Heritage
Cangort House: the south elevation of c.1870.
Image: National Inventory of Architectural Heritage
The present house is the result of a Victorian neo-Jacobean remodelling of the 18th century house.  Work is said to have been completed in 1850 but it seems more likely that the stone east and south fronts with their tall gabled elevations and large mullioned and transomed windows were built for Guy Newcomen Atkinson after he came of age in 1868. The east (entrance) front is of three bays and two storeys, with a projecting gabled bay on the left and a gabled porch jammed up against it. The south front, also of three bays, has gables at each end and another doorway, this time with perfectly plain flat door surround, in the middle. There are, on the house, three well-carved heraldic plaques, one on the gable of the entrance front and two on the south front. The other elevations are of ruled-and-lined render. The main house is approached through an elegant entrance gate with lodges, and down a long avenue. Nearby there is a walled garden and at the rear of this is a small ruined single-storey structure with an arched doorway, which may have been a chapel. In the 1870s, the estate amounted to 2,787 acres.

Descent: Anthony Atkinson (d. 1626); to son, William Atkinson (b. 1613); to son, Anthony Atkinson (1630-63); to son, Anthony Atkinson (c.1665-84); to son, Anthony Atkinson (c.1680-1743); to son, Rev. Guy Atkinson (c.1712-1804); to son, Lt-Col. Jackson Wray Atkinson (1766-1846); to son, Guy Atkinson (1800-59); to son, Guy Newcomen Atkinson (1847-90); to son, Guy Montague Atkinson (1882-1956), who sold 1907 to his uncle, William Henry Atkinson (1848-1930); to son, Guy Hamilton Atkinson (1881-1932); to son, Anthony Guy Atkinson (b. 1909), who sold Cangort in 1957.


Loughton House, Moneygall, Offaly


Loughton House

A three-storey house built in 1777 for Major Thomas Pepper on the site of a 17th century house, which was remodelled in 1835 by James Pain. An elegant and restrained late Georgian main front has two wide and shallow three-sided bows of three bays each, with a two-bay centre between them. There is a single-storey wing of two bays on the left. The ground and first floor windows have entablatures on console brackets and the ground-floor windows in the centre of each bay have pediments in addition. 


Inside, the principal rooms have restrained decoration, probably mostly of 1835, and there is a fine curved and cantilevered stone staircase by Pain. The Georgian stables are very handsome.

Descent: Maj. Thomas Pepper (fl. 1777); to son; to nephew by marriage, John Arthur Douglas Bloomfield (1802-79), 2nd Baron Bloomfield; to sister, Georgiana, wife of Henry Trench...Thora and Sheelah Trench; bequeathed 1970 to Maj. Anthony Guy Atkinson (b. 1909), who gave it to his son, Guy Neville Atkinson (b. 1950), who sold 2001 to Dr. (later Senator) James Reilly; for sale, 2016.


Ashley Park, Nenagh, Tipperary


The first house on this fine site on the shores of Lough Ourna is said to have been built in about 1700 for John Head of Waterford, who acquired the estate by marriage. Another John Head (d. 1816) is said to have made improvements to the house, but went bankrupt in the year of his death. His widow lived at Ashley Park until 1824, when it was sold by order of the courts. The purchaser was George Guy Atkinson (1799-1872), who was probably responsible for building the present charming and very pretty two-storey house, which is said to incorporate parts of its predecessor. It has polygonal ends with pyramidal roofs and a central canted bow, and inside there is a dog-leg staircase with two turned balusters per step and a ramped handrail.
Ashley Park: an early photograph of the house



Ashley Park: the house today.
In 1872 the estate passed to John Netterville Atkinson, who added the north wing in 1883 and a Chinoiserie room at about the same time, after a visit to Hong Kong. The character of the house, however, comes most of all from the decorative veranda, which in its present form was added after the marriage of Alice Marjory Atkinson to Thomas Bateson Biggs in 1903, although it may replace an earlier feature. The veranda has a green-painted arcade with the spandrels pierced with quatrefoils, and a fretwork balustrade; there was formerly trellising on the back wall of the veranda which further enhanced the decorative effect. The Biggs-Atkinsons also added a conservatory to the east side of the house and a new drive with a lodge. Since 1983 the house has been restored and it is now operated as an hotel.

Descent: John Head (fl. 1690-1700);...John Head (d. 1816); to widow, who sold 1824 to George Guy Atkinson (1799-1872); to son, John Netterville Atkinson (1843-93); to daughter, Alice Marjory (d. 1919), later wife of Thomas Bateson Biggs (later Biggs-Atkinson) (d. 1945); to his second wife, Bessie Biggs-Atkinson (d. 1963); to niece, Zelie Biggs, resident in South Africa, who sold 1983 to Sean Mounsey.


Atkinson family of Cangort



Atkinson, Anthony (d. 1626). Parentage unknown. A Lieutenant in the Army. He married Mary, daughter of Thomas Bathe and had issue:
(1) William Atkinson (b. 1613) (q.v.);
(2) John Atkinson;
(3) George Atkinson;
(4) Thomas Atkinson;
(5) Mary Atkinson;
(6) Frances Atkinson;
(7) Elizabeth Atkinson (fl. 1650);
(8) Jane Atkinson;
(9) Margaret Atkinson;
(10) Anne Atkinson.
He settled on lands (the island of Kiltober or Kiltobrett (Offaly)) granted by Queen Elizabeth by patent, and built Cangort Castle.
He died 9 October 1626.

Atkinson, William (b. 1613). Eldest son of Anthony Atkinson (d. 1626) and his wife Mary, daughter of Thomas Bathe, born 1613. During the Civil War Cangort Castle was garrisoned for the King and taken and slighted by Parliamentary forces, and he was forced to flee. He married, Anne, daughter of Bartholomew Peisley of Punchestown (Kildare), and had issue:
(1) Anthony Atkinson (1630-63);
(2) A daughter; married Thomas Newcomen.
He inherited the Cangort estate from his father, and acquired an interest in Kilbalymalin (Tipperary) through his marriage. His widow was confirmed in his lands in 1649.
He died before 1649. His widow survived him but her date of death is unknown.

Atkinson, Anthony (1630-63). Only son of William Atkinson (b. 1613) and his wife Anne, daughter of Bartholomew Peisley of Punchestown (Kildare), born 1630, He married, before 1655, Anne (1632-1709), younger daughter of Sir Robert Newcomen, 4th bt. and had issue:
(1) William Atkinson (c.1655-84) (q.v.);
(2) Capt. Newcomen Atkinson (d. c.1691); married [forename unknown] L'Estrange and had issue one son (from whom descended the Atkinsons of Newry and Mill Vale); will proved, 1691;
(3) Charles Atkinson (d. 1686); died unmarried, 1686;
(4) Frances Atkinson (d. 1738); married Thomas L'Estrange (1656-1741), son of Henry L'Estrange of Moystown (Offaly) and had issue four sons and two daughters; died 1738.
He inherited Cangort from his father and recovered the property at the Restoration.
He died in January 1663. His widow married 2nd, 1664, William Tynte (d. 1669) of Cahirmoney (Cork), third son of Sir Robert Tynte of Ballycrenane (Cork), and 3rd, William Digby of Newtown (Offaly); she died in 1709.

Atkinson, William (c.1655-84). Eldest son of Anthony Atkinson (1630-63) and his wife Anne, younger daughter of Sir Robert Newcomen, 4th bt, born about 1655.  He married Anne, granddaughter of Sir Francis Hamilton of Killeshandra (Cavan), and had issue:
(1) Anthony Atkinson (c.1680-1743) (q.v.);
(2) William Atkinson.
He inherited Cangort from his father.
He died in 1684. His widow married 2nd, [forename unknown] Blake and 3rd, Maj. Marcus French of Rahassan; her date of death is unknown.

Atkinson, Anthony (c.1680-1743). Elder son of William Atkinson (c.1655-84) and his wife Anne, born about 1680. Educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1697), Middle Temple (admitted 1700) and Kings Inn, Dublin (called to bar, 1708). Barrister-at-law. MP in the Irish Parliament for St. Johnstown, 1711-13 and for Belfast, 1713-14. He married, 1709, Mary (d. 1748), daughter of Admiral John Guy of Greenwich (Kent) - who broke the boom across the River Foyle to relieve the siege of Derry in 1690 - and had issue including:
(1) William Atkinson (c.1710-38); educated at Middle Temple (admitted 1732) and Kings Inn, Dublin (called to bar, 1737); barrister-at-law; died in the lifetime of his father, 3 July 1738;
(2) Rev. Guy Atkinson (c.1712-1804) (q.v.);
(3) Anthony Atkinson of Headfield (Offaly); died in the lifetime of his father;
(4) Charles Atkinson (c.1720-80) [for whom see below, under Atkinson family of Ashley Park];
(5) Newcomen Atkinson (d. 1759); a Lieutenant in the army; will proved in Ireland, 1759;
(6) Anne Atkinson; married Francis Sanderson (d. 1746) of Castle Sanderson, Belturbet (Cavan) and had issue two sons and two daughters;
(7) Frances Atkinson (d. 1795); married, 1749 (settlement 30 March), Nathaniel Robbins of Hymenstown (Tipperary) and had issue; died 1795;
(8) Harriet Atkinson (fl. 1749); married, 2 September 1749, Robert Sanderson;
(9) Jane Atkinson (d. 1763); married Rev. Robert Carew Armstrong (1709-90) of Corolanty (Offaly), son of Thomas Armstrong of Moyaliffe; died 23 January 1763;
(10) Catherine Atkinson; married George Fraser of Cuba Court, Banagher (Offaly).
He inherited Cangort from his father in 1684.
He died in December 1743 and his will was proved the same month. His widow's will was proved in 1748.

Atkinson, Rev. Guy (c.1712-1804). Second but oldest surviving son of Anthony Atkinson (c.1680-1743) and his wife Mary, daughter of Admiral John Guy of Greenwich (Kent), born about 1712. Educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1730; BA 1735; MA 1739; DD 1756). Vicar of Newtown Clonbun, 1748-53, Trim and Rathcore (Meath), 1753-67 and Rector of Aghoghill (Antrim), 1767-95. He married 1st, 14 March 1747 at St Peter, Dublin, Jane (d. 1760?), daughter of Charles Maule and niece of Rt. Rev. Henry Maule, bishop of Meath, and 2nd, 19 March 1762 at St Anne, Dublin, Jane (c.1736-98?), daughter of Jackson Wray of Oak Park (Donegal), and had issue:
(1.1) Anthony Atkinson (1748-90), born 13 February and baptised at St Peter, Dublin, 15 March 1747/8; died without issue in the lifetime of his father, 1790;
(1.2) Hugh Atkinson (d. 1763); died unmarried in India, 1763;
(1.3) Guy Atkinson (d. 1766); an officer in the Royal Navy; died unmarried when he was killed by an explosion on board ship;
(2.1) Anne Atkinson (b. 1764); died young;
(2.2) Lt-Col. Jackson Wray Atkinson (1766-1846) (q.v.);
(2.3) Charles Atkinson (b. 1768), baptised at Shinrone, 7 March 1768; died young;
(2.4) Rev. Charles Atkinson (c.1769-1851); educated at Lisburn and Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1788; BA 1792); ordained deacon, 1792; rector of Forkhill (Armagh), 1795-1817 and of Creggan, 1817-51; married 1st, 1793, Thomasine, daughter of Rev. Alexander Clotworthy Downing of Leckpatrick (Derry) and had issue four sons and four daughters; married 2nd, 22 June 1832, Jane Letitia (b. 1803), third daughter of Rev. Arthur Ellis, vicar of Ardee, and had further issue one son and four daughters; died 4 March 1851;
(2.5) William Henry Atkinson (b. 1770); died young;
(2.6) George Atkinson (b. 1772); died young;
(2.7) George Atkinson (later Wray) (1773-1852); assumed the name and arms of Wray, 1809; married, 1797, Leonora (d. 1832), daughter of Jackson Wray of Brentford (Antrim) and had issue three sons; died in Dublin, 6 April 1852;
(2.8) Maria Atkinson (d. 1796); married, 1793, George R. Golding; died 1796;
(2.9) Jane Atkinson (b. 1780); died young.
He inherited the Cangort estate from his father in 1743.
He died 24 October 1804, aged about 92; his will was proved in 1804. His first wife may have been the Jane Atkinson whose will was proved in 1760. His second wife died in 1798 (or 30 Dec. 1790).

Atkinson, Lt-Col. Jackson Wray (1766-1846). Eldest son of Rev. Guy Atkinson (c.1712-1804) and his second wife, Jane, daughter of Jackson Wray of Co. Donegal, born at Newry (Down), 1766. Educated at Hertford College, Oxford (matriculated 1792), Middle Temple (admitted 1792) and Kings Inn, Dublin (called to bar, 1795). An officer in the 46th foot (Ensign, 1787) and King's County (Offaly) militia (Lt-Col.); High Sheriff of Offaly, 1803; JP for Offaly; freemason. He married, 1st, 3 November 1794, Sarah, daughter of Richard Caddell of Downpatrick (Down), and 2nd, 24 November 1841 at British Embassy in Paris (France), Virginie Aspasie Penneguin of Dept. du Nord (France), and had issue:
(1.1) Sarah Atkinson (b. c.1795); died unmarried;
(1.2) Maria Atkinson (b. c.1797); died unmarried;
(1.3) Mabella Jane Atkinson (b. c.1799); probably died young;
(1.4) Guy Atkinson (1800-59) (q.v.);
(1.5) Caroline Stewart Atkinson (1803-39); married William L'Estrange (1789-1860) of Kilcummin, Banagher (Offaly) and had issue two sons and four daughters; died from injuries received in the 'Night of the Big Wind', 22 January 1839;
(1.8) Emily Rebecca Atkinson (c.1804-82); died unmarried, 15 December 1882;
(1.6) Henry Wray Atkinson (1806-73) of Frankville, Athboy (Meath), born July 1806; married, 9 April 1839, Elizabeth Jane, daughter of Rev. William Brownlow Savage, rector of Shinrone (Offaly) and had issue five sons and five daughters; died 24 January 1873; administration granted to his son, 22 March 1873 (effects under £1,500);
(1.7) Charles Atkinson (1808-40); an officer in HEICS 10th Native Cavalry; died from a snake bite, 17 June 1840 at Nusseerabad, Bengal (India);
(1.9) Harriet Anne Atkinson (b. c.1809); probably died young;
(1.10) Richard Atkinson (1818-71), of Gortmore, Dundrum (Dublin), born 6 October 1818; educated at Kings Inn, Dublin (admitted 1835); married, 14 October 1840 at Caledon (Tyrone), Mary Jane Elizabeth (d. 1886), daughter of Capt. George R. Golding of Lime Park, Caledon, and had issue three sons and six daughters; died 18 July 1871.
He inherited the Cangort estate from his father in 1804.
He died at Neuilly-sur-Seine (France), 14 August 1846. His first wife's date of death is unknown. His widow's date of death is unknown.

Atkinson, Guy (1800-59). Eldest son of Lt-Col. Jackson Wray Atkinson (1766-1846) and his wife Sarah, daughter of Richard Caddell of Downpatrick (Down), born 14 July and baptised at Shinrone, 3 August 1800. Educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1818; BA 1823). JP for Offaly; High Sheriff of Offaly, 1846; freemason. He married, 24 October 1839 at Shinrone, Anne Margaret (1810-79), second daughter of William Trench of Cangort Park (Offaly) and had issue:
(1) Charles Newcomen Atkinson (1840-41), born probably in December 1840 and baptised in Rome, January 1841; died in infancy in Rome, 11 January 1841;
(2) Sarah Harriet Atkinson (1842-1935), baptised at British chaplaincy in Geneva (Switzerland), 26 June 1842; married, 11 May 1865 at Shinrone, George Arthur Waller JP (1835-1923) of Prior Park, Borrisokane (Tipperary) and Luska, Nenagh (Tipperary) and had issue ten sons and one daughter; died 11 January 1935 aged 92;
(3) Emily Atkinson (1843-1928), baptised at Shinrone, 31 December 1843; married, 4 October 1865 at Shinrone, George Adolphus Western (1838-1929) of Beckenham (Kent), solicitor, second son of Edward Western of London, and had issue three sons and seven daughters; died 21 March 1928;
(4) Caroline Sophia Atkinson (1845-1943), born 3 June 1845; married, 14 December 1869 at St Bartholomew, Dublin, Lt-Col. James Halifax Western CMG (1842-1917) of Halifax Lodge, Hurstpierpoint (Sussex) and had issue; died 8 January 1943, aged 97, and was buried at Hurstpierpoint; will proved 21 April 1943 (estate £13,661).
(5) Lt-Col. Guy Newcomen Atkinson (1847-90) (q.v.);
(6) William Henry Atkinson (1848-1930) (q.v.);
(7) Maj. Richard Frederick Atkinson (1849-86), born 11 December 1849 and baptised at Shinrone, 6 January 1850; educated at the Royal Military Academy; an officer in the 67th Regiment (Ensign, 1869; Lt., 1871; Capt. 1880, Maj., 1886); served in Afghan War, 1878-80 and died unmarried when he was killed in action at Salin Myo (Burma), 31 August 1886; will proved in London, 1 February 1887 (effects £4,867) and resealed in Dublin, 1 March 1887 (effects in Ireland £1,577).
He inherited the Cangort estate from his father in 1846.
He died at Cangort, 28 November 1859 and his will was proved in Dublin in 1860. His widow died 12 July 1879.

Atkinson, Lt-Col. Guy Newcomen (1847-90). Second, but eldest surviving son, of Guy Atkinson (1800-59) and his wife Anne Margaret, second daughter of William Trench of Cangort Park (Offaly), born 4 January 1847. Educated at Royal Military Academy. An officer of Shropshire Light Infantry (Ensign, 1865; Lt., 1867; Capt., 1875; Major, 1882; Lt-Col., 1886); Adjutant of Shropshire Rifle Brigade, 1882-86. JP for Offaly. He married, 19 July 1877 at Leamington (Warks), Frances Elizabeth (c.1846-1929), elder daughter of Hon. Lawrence Harman King-Harman of Rockingham House (Roscommon) and Newcastle (Longford), and had issue:
(1) Guy Edward Atkinson (1878-79), born in India, 9 December 1878 and baptised at Lucknow (India), 2 February 1878; died in infancy, 24 May 1879;
(2) Helen Mary Atkinson (1880-1973), born 30 September and baptised at Littlemore (Oxon), 12 December 1880; married, 5 September 1908 at St Ethelburga, Bishopsgate, London, Brig-Gen. Robert William Hare CMG DSO DL (1872-1953), only son of Robert Dillon Hare JP of Ballymore, Queenstown (Cork) and had issue one son and two daughters; died in Norwich Jan-Mar 1973, aged 92;
(3) Lt-Col. Guy Montague Atkinson (1882-1956) (q.v.);
(4) Maj. Gerald Newcomen Atkinson (1884-1962), born 10 March 1884; educated at Charterhouse and Royal Military College, Sandhurst; an officer in the Somerset Light Infantry (2nd Lt., 1904; Lt., 1908; Capt., 1915; Maj. by 1920) who served in First World War; married, 1 March 1923 in Bombay (India), Grace Phoebe (1890-1986), daughter of Alfred James Davies of Heaton Moor, Stockport (Lancs); lived in North Devon; died 24 July 1962; will proved 4 September 1962 (estate £21,436).
He inherited the Cangort estate from his father in 1859 and came of age in 1868. He was probably responsible for a substantial remodelling c.1870.
He died at Kilkenny, where he was in command of the garrison, 10 February 1890, and was buried at Shinrone; his will was proved in London, 21 July 1890 (effects £6,613) and sealed in Dublin, 18 November 1890 (effects in Ireland £1,961). His widow died 29 March 1929; administration of her goods was granted to her elder son, 16 December 1929 (estate £7,518).

Atkinson, Lt-Col. Guy Montague (1882-1956). Second, but eldest surviving, son of Lt-Col. Guy Newcomen Atkinson (1847-90) and his wife Frances Elizabeth, elder daughter of Hon. Lawrence Harman King-Harman of Rockingham House (Roscommon) and Newcastle (Longford), born at Shrewsbury (Shropshire), 30 March 1882. Educated at Charterhouse and Royal Military College, Sandhurst. An officer in Kings Royal Rifle Corps, 1902-22 (2nd Lt., 1902; Lt., 1906; Capt., 1914; Major, 1916); he served in South African War and First World War (wounded, 1915; DSO 1916); served as Lt-Col. commanding Wiltshire Home Guard in Second World War. JP for Wiltshire, 1937. He married, 7 January 1920, Hon. Bertha Beatrice (1884-1961), fifth daughter of Lt-Col. George Best, 5th Baron Wynford, but had no issue.
He inherited the Cangort estate from his father in 1890 and came of age in 1903. He sold the estate to his uncle, William Henry Atkinson, in 1907. He lived latterly at Penleigh House, Westbury (Wilts).
He died 1 May 1956; his will was proved 18 September 1956 (estate £31,012). His widow died 10 June 1961; her will was proved 21 November 1961 (estate £31,225).

Atkinson, William Henry (1848-1930). Third son of Guy Atkinson (1800-59) and his wife Anne Margaret, second daughter of William Trench of Cangort Park (Offaly), born 28 August and baptised at Shinrone, 8 October 1848. He married, 20 November 1877 at St Peter, Dublin, Anna (c.1848-1917), second daughter of Lewis Moore of Cremorgan, Timahoe (Leix) and had issue:
(1) Ella Mary Emily Atkinson (1878-1922), born 3 September 1878; died unmarried, 7 April 1922; administration of goods granted to her father (effects in England, £668);
(2) Henry Richard Atkinson (1880-1905), born 17 March 1880; died unmarried, 26 December 1905; administration of his goods granted to his father, 21 March 1906 (effects £1,076);
(3) Guy Hamilton Atkinson (1881-1932) (q.v.);
(4) Geraldine Anna Atkinson (c.1884-1950); married, 18 April 1906, James Wallace (1876-1961), barrister-at-law, of Cangort Park (Offaly) and had issue one daughter; died 5 January 1950; administration of goods granted to her daughter, 2 May 1950 in Dublin and 23 June 1950 in London (effects in Ireland, £599 and in England, £640).
He purchased the Cangort House estate from his nephew in 1907.
He died 7 May 1930; his will was proved in London, 12 August 1930 (effects in England £3,310). His wife died 17 June 1917; administration of her goods was granted 8 September 1917 (effects £154).

Atkinson, Guy Hamilton (1881-1932). Only surviving son of William Henry Atkinson (1848-1930) and his wife Anna, second daughter of Lewis Moore of Cremorgan, Timahoe (Leix), born 20 April 1881. Educated at Monckton Combe School, Bath (Somerset). He married, 18 February 1909, Sybilla Gertrude (1884-1962), only daughter of Canon Richard Philip Homan of Lockeen Glebe, Birr (Offaly) and had issue:
(1) Anthony Guy Atkinson (1909-85) (q.v.);
(2) Sylvia Geraldine Atkinson (1919-91), born 29 May 1919; married, 19 March 1947, Col. David Peter Davidson OBE (d. 1986) of West Haddon (Northants), only son of David Peter Davidson of Dundee; died 5 November 1991; administration of her goods with will annexed granted 12 February 1992 (estate under £125,000).
He inherited the Cangort House estate from his father in 1930.
He died 23 February 1932; his will was proved at Mullingar, 24 October 1932 and in London, 7 May 1932 (estate in Ireland, £8,465 and in England £5,972). His widow died 30 January 1962; her will was proved 7 December 1962 (estate in England, £3,594).

Atkinson, Maj. Anthony Guy (1909-85). Only son of Guy Hamilton Atkinson (1881-1932) and his wife Sybilla Gertrude, only daughter of Canon Richard Philip Homan of Lockeen Glebe, Birr (Offaly), born 10 December 1909. Educated at St. Columba's and Royal Military Academy, Woolwich. An officer in the Royal Artillery, 1929-52 (2nd Lt., 1929; Maj.; retired 1952); served in Second World War in Hong Kong and was a prisoner of war, 1941-45. He married, 16 October 1937, Anne Elizabeth (b. c.1915), eldest daughter of Rev. Nevill Lascelles-Ward of Largo, Florida (USA), and had issue:
(1) Mary Catherine Charlotte Atkinson  (b. 1938), born 11 November 1938; married, 10 April 1964, Maj. Thomas Michael Hawksworth Smyth (1933-2004) of Ballyvona House, Killinick, Rosslare (Wexford), only son of Maj. Thomas Reginald Hawksworth Smyth of Cedar Hill, Roscrea (Tipperary) and had issue one son and three daughters; living in 1976;
(2) Antonia Sybilla Atkinson (b. 1948), born 26 July 1948; married, 13 February 1971, Capt. Andrew William Orr MB BS MRCS LRCP (b. 1946), of Royal Army Medical Corps, only son of Lt-Col. Harold Arthur Orr of Poole (Dorset) and had issue one daughter; living in 1976.
(3) Guy Nevill Atkinson (b. 1950) (q.v.);
He inherited the Cangort House estate from his father in 1932, but sold the house in 1957. He inherited Loughton House, Moneygall (Offaly) from the Trench family in 1970 but made it over to his son.
He died 15 March 1985; his will was proved in London, 11 October 1985 (estate in England & Wales, £19,256). His wife was living in 1976.

Atkinson, Guy Nevill (b. 1950). Only son of Maj. Anthony Guy Atkinson (1909-85) and his wife Anne Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Rev. Nevill Lascelles-Ward of Largo, Florida (USA), born 29 November 1950. Educated at St. Columba's and Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst. An officer in Queen's Royal Irish Hussars (2nd Lt., 1971). He married, 20 April 1974, Mary Grace, younger daughter of Dr. Norman Cunningham Porter of The Lodge, Naburn (Yorks NR).
He was given Loughton House, Moneygall and the Cangort estate by his father in 1970, but sold the former in 2000.
He was living in 2016.

Atkinson family of Ashley Park

Atkinson, Charles (c.1720-79). Younger son of Anthony Atkinson (c.1680-1743) of Cangort [see above] and his wife Mary, daughter of Admiral John Guy of Greenwich (Kent), born about 1730. He married Mary, daughter of James Sanderson alias Saunderson of Clover Hill (Cavan), MP for Enniskillen, and had issue:
(1) Anthony Atkinson (1752-1815) (q.v.);
(2) Mary Atkinson (b. 1753), baptised at Shinrone, 19 October 1753;
(3) James Atkinson (b. 1755), baptised at Shinrone, 8 January 1755;
(4) Anne Atkinson (b. 1756), baptised at Shinrone, 6 March 1756;
(5) Jane Atkinson (b. 1757), baptised at Shinrone, 25 April 1757;
(6) Guy Atkinson (b. 1758), baptised at Shinrone, 22 November 1758;
(7) Catherine Atkinson (b. 1760), baptised at Shinrone, 9 April 1760;
(8) William Atkinson (b. 1761), baptised at Shinrone, 1 March 1761;
(9) Henrietta Atkinson (b. 1764), baptised at Shinrone, 25 March 1764;
(10) Charles Atkinson (b. 1767?), baptised at Shinrone, 7 March 1767?;
(11) Thomas Atkinson (b. 1768), baptised at Shinrone, 12 October 1768;
(12) Newcomen Atkinson (b. 1770), baptised at Shinrone, 26 April 1770.
He died before November 1779; his will was proved in 1780. His wife's date of death is unknown.

Atkinson, Anthony (1752-1815). Only recorded son of Charles Atkinson and his wife Mary, daughter of Robert Saunderson of Clover Hill (Cavan), born 21 June 1752. He married, c.1788, Catherine (d. 1838), daughter of Dominick Blake of Castlegrove (Galway) and had issue:
(1) Charles Atkinson (c.1790-c.1852) of South Park, born about 1790; educated at Killaloe School and Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1809; BA 1814; LLD 1828); JP for Co. Tipperary; married and had issue; died about 1852;
(2) James Atkinson (d. 1820); died unmarried at Redwood (Tipperary), 6 April 1820; his will was proved in 1820, and administration of his remaining goods was granted to his brother, 3 February 1871;
(3) George Guy Atkinson (1799-1872) (q.v.);
(4) Charlotte Atkinson (d. 1819); died unmarried at Birr, May 1819.
He leased South Park, Ballingarry (Tipperary) from the Trench family between 1786 and 1810 and the lease passed to his son Charles. His widow lived subsequently at Birr (Offaly).
He died in 1815 and his will was proved the same year. His widow died in 1838 and her will was proved in the same year.

Atkinson, George Guy (1799-1872). Third son of Anthony Atkinson (1752-1815) and his wife Catherine, daughter of Dominick Blake of Castlegrove (Galway), born 1799. JP and DL for Co. Tipperary. He married Bridget (c.1819-93), daughter of P. Murphy of Rahone (Tipperary) and had issue:
(1) John Atkinson (1837-1901) of Derryharan (aka Derryholmes), Banagher (Offaly), baptised at Nenagh Catholic Church (although he later gave his religion as Church of Ireland), 28 June 1837; farmer; married 1st, 8 April 1874 at St Peter, Dublin, Anna, daughter of Rev. John Cotton Walker, rector of Ballinasloe, and had issue one son and two daughters; married 2nd, 2 June 1894 at St Peter, Dublin, Ethel Maud (c.1866-1938), daughter of Richard Beasley of Old Grange (Kildare); died 6 September 1901; will proved November 1901 (effects £14,204);
(2) George Atkinson (1840-80), born 11 October 1840; educated at Mr. Weir's Collegiate School, Birr, and Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1859; BA and MB 1863; M. Chir., 1863). An officer in the Army Medical Dept., 1864-80 (Surgeon-Major, 1876); died unmarried from pneumonia contracted as a result of exposure during the cold nights of the Afghan campaign, about 30 April 1880; will proved 1 July 1880;
(3) James Netterville Atkinson (1843-93) (q.v.).
He purchased Ashley Park, Nenagh (Tipperary) in 1824.
He died 30 July 1872; his will was proved 13 August 1872 (effects under £35,000). His widow died 14 January 1893, aged 74; her will was proved 7 February 1893 (effects £10,232).

Atkinson, James Netterville (1843-93). Third son of George Guy Atkinson (1799-1872) and his wife Bridget, daughter of P. Murphy of Rahone (Tipperary), born 1 March 1843. Educated at Trinity College, Dublin (admitted 1859; BA 1863). JP for Co. Tipperary and High Sheriff of Co. Tipperary, 1892. His travels took him to the Far East, where he visited Hong Kong before 1883. He married, 30 September 1875, Margaret Teresa (c.1845-1925), daughter of William Bleasby Smithwick of Youghal House, Nenagh (Tipperary) and had issue:
(1) Alice Marjory Atkinson (1882-1919) (q.v.);
(2) Kathleen Anna Atkinson (1885-1967), born 2 October 1885; died unmarried at Nenagh, 13 June 1966; will proved 4 September 1967;
(3) Gustava Mary Atkinson (1888-1959); born 2 July 1888; died unmarried, 1 November 1959 and was buried at Mount Jerome Cemetery, Dublin.
He inherited Ashley Park from his father in 1872 and extended the house in 1883. In the 1870s he owned over 2,000 acres in Tipperary and 961 acres in Co. Galway. At his death his estate passed to his eldest daughter.
He died 22 May 1893; his will was proved in Dublin, 6 July 1893 (effects £58,271). His widow died 19 August 1925; her will was proved 5 December 1925 (estate in England, £781).

Atkinson, Alice Marjory (1882-1919). Eldest daughter of James Netterville Atkinson (1843-93) and his wife Margaret Teresa, daughter of William B. Smithwick of Youghal House, Nenagh (Tipperary), born 26 May 1882. She and her husband took the name Biggs-Atkinson by deed poll, 18 November 1903. She married, 9 September 1903, Thomas Bateson Biggs (later Biggs-Atkinson) JP (1878-1945), solicitor, and an officer in Royal Irish Rifles (Capt., 1914), fourth son of Samuel Dickson Biggs of Bellevue (Tipperary), but had no issue.
She inherited the Ashley Park estate from her father in 1893. After her death the estate passed to her husband and following his death to his second wife, who left it to a niece in South Africa.
She died 11 May 1919 and was buried at Kilurane Cemetery, Nenagh; administration of her goods was granted to her husband, 27 January 1920 (effects £522). Her husband married 2nd, 6 December 1923 at West Kirby (Cheshire), Bessie (1874-1963), youngest daughter of Alfred Dyson of Flint (Flints.), and died 5 August 1945; his will was proved in Dublin, 28 January 1946 (estate £18,862) and in Belfast, 22 February 1946 (effects in Northern Ireland £310).


Sources

Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland, 1912, pp. 16-18; Burke's Irish Family Records, 1976, pp. 39-41; M. Bence-Jones, A guide to Irish country houses, 2nd edn., 1990, pp. 13, 55, 194; D. Lee, James Pain, architect, 2005, p. 230;


Location of archives


Atkinson family of Cangort: deeds and papers, 1639-1856 [National Library of Ireland]; papers, 18th-20th cents [Private Collection (Loughton papers); contact Public Record Office of Northern Ireland]


Coat of arms


Or, an eagle displayed, with two heads, azure, beaked and legged gules; in chief, a rose of the last, seeded gold, between two martlets sable.


Can you help?


Here are a few notes about information and images which would help to improve the account above. If you can help with any of these or with other additions or corrections, please use the contact form in the sidebar to get in touch.
  • Can anyone supply higher definition images of Cangort House?
  • Does anyone know the descent of Cangort House after it was sold by the Atkinsons in 1957?
  • Can anyone provide more detail of the descent of Loughton House from the Peppers to the Atkinsons?
  • Can anyone provide additional or more accurate information from deeds or other sources about the earlier generations of the Atkinson family?


Revision and acknowledgements


This post was first published 23 October 2016 and updated 5 November 2016.