Hendon Place alias Tenterden Hall, MiddlesexA house later called Hendon Place was built in Parson Street for the abbots of Westminster, and was originally known as the Parsonage. It was finished in 1326 and was built by Westminster Abbey workmen; in 1540 it contained a chapel on the ground floor. Cardinal Wolsey stayed there on his last journey to the north of England in 1530 and Queen Elizabeth I was a visitor in 1566, 1571, and 1576, when the Herberts were in possession, and again in 1594, when Sir John Fortescue was the tenant. In 1593 the building was called Hendon House and styled the manor-house. It was described as pleasantly situated on a slope and large enough to entertain the king c. 1640, and had 23 hearths in 1664; in the 18th century it was said to have contained a fine gallery. The estate was then a compact block of lands bordered by Parson Street, Finchley Lane, and Dollis brook, together with some fields in Finchley, and contained 132 a.
In 1730 the estate was bought by Thomas Snow, a London goldsmith and banker, and either he or his son, who inherited in 1748, pulled down the old house and rebuilt it. Snow himself seems to have lived at Mill Hill, and the new house was leased out, first to the Earl of Northampton, and by 1774 to William Aislabie of Studley Royal.
|Hendon Place: alternative design by Robert Adam for new front, 1776. Image: © Sir John Soane’s Museum, London Adam volume 30/82.|
|Hendon Place: alternative design by Robert Adam for new front, 1776. Image: © Sir John Soane’s Museum, London Adam volume 30/81.|
|Hendon Place: watercolour showing the house as remodelled by Robert Adam for William Aislabie, 1776. |
Image: © London Metropolitan Archives, Environs of London Collection.
Aislabie obtained designs (now in the Soane Museum) from Robert Adam for refronting the house in 1776, and later drawings and photographs suggest the work was carried out to a variant on these proposals. The executed scheme had a five bay, two-and-a-half storey centre with a central three-bay pediment. The ground floor was treated as a rusticated basement and supported a giant order of Corinthian columns that embraced the upper floors. To either side of the centre were three-bay single storey wings that continued the design of the basement, with six over six pane sash windows recessed within arches. Adam also supplied designs for the erection of a greenhouse and for the design of a ceiling, but it is not clear whether these were executed. The house continued to be leased until George Snow sold it in 1808.
|Hendon Place: the loose representation of the house in its landscaped setting, made in the brief period when it was the seat of James Warre, c.1810.|
By 1816, when the house was unoccupied, a large ballroom had been added. Further additions and alterations, including raising the height of the wings, were made by John Henry Abbott, 2nd Lord Tenterden of Hendon (1796-1870), after 1832, when the house became known as Tenterden Hall, but in 1862 he sold the estate for building. The house was used as a school in the 20th century, and Bishop Trevor Huddleston and the radio presenter, Nicholas Parsons, were among the pupils. The school closed in the mid 1930s and the house was demolished in 1936.
|Hendon Place from an old postcard, c.1910|
The Abbott family, Barons Tenterden
Abbott, The Hon. Charles (1803-38), soldier. Younger son of Charles Abbott, 1st Baron Tenterden (1762-1832) and his wife Mary, daughter of John Lagier Lamotte of Grotto House, Basildon (Berks), born 8 August and baptised 31 August 1803. Educated at Christ Church, Oxford (matriculated 1821, BA 1825); he obtained a commission as cornet in Duchess of York’s Own (14th) Light Dragoons (Cornet 1826; Lt. 1829). Married 9 January 1834 Emily Frances (d. 1886), younger daughter of Rear-Admiral Lord George Stuart (d. 1841), and had issue:
Abbott, John Henry (1796-1870), 2nd Baron Tenterden, lawyer. Elder son of Charles Abbott, 1st Baron Tenterden (1762-1832) and his wife Mary, daughter of John Lagier Lamotte of Grotto House, Basildon (Berks), born 6 August 1796 and was baptised at St George the Martyr, Queen Square, London. Educated at Balliol College, Oxford (matriculated 1814; BA 1818; MA 1821), and Inner Temple (called to bar 1825); marshal and associate in the Court of Kings Bench c.1825-32; a Conservative in politics. He succeeded his father as 2nd Baron Tenterden, 4 November 1832.